• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

IDK wtf those numbers are supposed to mean, but he clearly was not as good in 2011 as he was before. His best years are behind him, he could of stayed with a team that supported him, or take a paycheck and sit on his ass this post season.

He is an amazing ball player no doubt, but to say he "won" us the WS last year is pure bullshit and insulting to the rest of the team that worked their ass off through his injuries and cold spells.

It means he was a mere two and a half times more valuable than an average player in 2011.

Flo_Evans

Wins Above Replacement, commonly known as WAR, is a non-standardized sabermetric baseball statistic that is used to show how many more wins a player would give a team as opposed to a "replacement level", or minor league/bench player at that position

So, a bullshit made up statistic?

JABEE

He was a non-factor last year. The way I see it the team gave him 2 World Series rings and he sold out. He kept talking about "family" and bullshit then went to the highest bidder.
Are you seriously trying to say that "the team" gave Pujols the World Series? Pujols has probably been the best player in MLB over the last 10 years. Pujols was a major contributor to last season's WS.

Look at his statistics in the NLCS!

bozeman

They wouldn't be the Cards if they weren't the Cardiac Cards. They probably want to go back to San Fran because it's just more fun to win when you're supposed to lose.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So, a bullshit made up statistic?
1rSbn.gif

Flo_Evans

Every statistic has to be made up. Just because WAR is newer than shit stats like RBI or average doesn't make it bullshit.

There is no clearly established formula for WAR. Sites that provide the statistic, such as Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, and Baseball Reference, all calculate it differently

Sounds like bullshit to me.

Whatever. I am not trying to say Pujols sucks, I'm saying he is not worth 12 million a year. His knee is fucked, and he is getting old. Any fan that has actually watched him play instead of looking at spreadsheets can tell you that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sounds like bullshit to me.

Whatever. I am not trying to say Pujols sucks, I'm saying he is not worth 12 million a year. His knee is fucked, and he is getting old. Any fan that has actually watched him play instead of looking at spreadsheets can tell you that.

What the fuck. Carlos Pena and Luke Scott made more than 12 million combined this year.

:(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And that's why St. Louis fans hate him, he choose money over team.

What the hell is this crap? It's not like he left with 3 years left on his contract. He was a free agent. He chose to go to the team that offered him the most money. He wasn't obligated to stay with the Cardinals for any reason. They offered him a shitload less money than the Angels so he chose to go. Choosing to hate a guy because he left your team as a free agent is really moronic shit and it's not even like he signed with a division rival.

Also not sure why you're pretending like the Angels were a terrible team this year. They won more games than your beloved Cardinals this year. They probably would have made the playoffs if their manager wasn't a total dumbfuck. Them not making the playoffs doesn't mean they sucked, those are just the breaks. The Angels and Rays won more games than both the Tigers and Cardinals and neither made the playoffs. Shit happens.

JABEE

Cardinal fans are stupid. Pujols has led them to two World Series championships over the last 5 seasons. He's already done enough to be a King in St. Louis for the rest of his life. Saying Pujols didn't matter to those seasons is a joke.

see5harp

What the hell is this crap? It's not like he left with 3 years left on his contract. He was a free agent. He chose to go to the team that offered him the most money. He wasn't obligated to stay with the Cardinals for any reason. They offered him a shitload less money than the Angels so he chose to go. Choosing to hate a guy because he left your team as a free agent is really moronic shit and it's not even like he signed with a division rival.

Also not sure why you're pretending like the Angels were a terrible team this year. They won more games than your beloved Cardinals this year. They probably would have made the playoffs if their manager wasn't a total dumbfuck. Them not making the playoffs doesn't mean they sucked, those are just the breaks. The Angels and Rays won more games than both the Tigers and Cardinals and neither made the playoffs. Shit happens.

Thank you. It's not like he was going to a struggling team like Gretsky leaving for the L.A. Kings. The Angels had great hitting, great pitching, and much better weather.

rando14

Jesus Christ, could you have a more false sense of entitlement? He's a person, people like money, and he got an incredible deal (lol) from the Angels. He went where he got the best deal.

He doesn't "owe" St Louis anything. He's an athlete.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I think one of the things that irked a few Cardinals fans is what he was saying before he left. He would say how he wanted his whole career to be in St Louis at times, how he looked up to Stan Musial for how he would choose loyalty over money, etc. He even mentioned it wasn't about the money and he wanted to stay with a club that would help him keep winning. Which made it even sillier that he left, just coming off a season where they won the World Series.

rando14

I think one of the things that irked a few Cardinals fans is what he was saying before he left. He would say how he wanted his whole career to be in St Louis at times, how he looked up to Stan Musial for how he would choose loyalty over money, etc. He even mentioned it wasn't about the money and he wanted to stay with a club that would help him keep winning. Which made it even sillier that he left, just coming off a season where they won the World Series.

$250+ million will sway anyone, you can hardly blame him.

If you're an athlete of an arguably suspect age and there are teams willing to throw a quarter of a billion dollars at you despite your in-progress decline of play and health, you have to take that deal.

Top Bottom