• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

There may have never been a worse call:

2wtEf.png

The SS took 10 full jogging steps into the outfield.

Doesn't matter. The Braves defense cost them this game, not Sam Holbrook. 4 unearned runs and 1 of the earned runs would have been erased on the double play.

Also, Bourn choked with the bases loaded anyways.

Ganhyun

Horrible call and lol at other MLB umps trying to justify it. Not only was there no way it was an infield fly, the ump purposely waiting until the last second to call it. That shouldn't fly anyway because they are supposed to call it quickly so that the players are aware.

Coins

Banned
Who are you, Bud Selig? It was a terrible call and a complete misinterpretation of the rule.

I was explaining how the rule normally works, ass. I did not say the infield fly rule should have been in play, just stating what I heard on the radio.

JABEE

Doesn't matter. The Braves defense cost them this game, not Sam Holbrook. 4 earned runs and 1 of the earned runs would have been erased on the double play.
No. The Braves had the bases loaded with one out. There are no excuses for what the umpires did. From a Phillies fan, you guys got straight-up screwed by the Holbrook.

It didn't cost us the game (bases loaded, leave 'em stranded will always screw you), but to act like that was the right call....extremely frustrating.

Culex

Banned
Hmm so the O's are playing for their future here. I hope they make it. I would hate to see them leave the post season like this! They need a proper send off from the Yankees!

carlos

Honestly I think the Ump was just not used to being in that position (being the extra ump and all)

he's usually at third, and a fly out that lands in that place is usually in the infield. He just forgot where he was is too idiotic to correct himself, that's why the call was late as well.

see5harp

Damn josh Hamilton just seems like he don't give a fuck. They interviewed him after the a's team and he was like, "the a's are a fun team to watch."

I'm indifferent because I'm used to the Braves choking in the playoffs. If they hadn't made three damn errors (and Freeman saving two more) I'd be more pissed at Holbrook. But the errors bother me more.

Sanjuro

Honestly I think the Ump was just not used to being in that position (being the extra ump and all)

he's usually at third, and a fly out that lands in that place is usually in the infield. He just forgot where he was is too idiotic to correct himself, that's why the call was late as well.

He played the role of an aging lead actor being given a supporting role. Had to show the world he still has it.

DiscoJer

I honestly don't know why they need umps there for the playoffs. Seems like he caused the problem, either by blowing the call or somehow freaking out Kozma (who was going to be under the ball until he freaked out about something).

But it's not like the Braves didn't get bad calls going that way - Lohse had struck out Ross in the second inning, only to lose it to time being granted. You don't grant time after a guy has started his windup. And it directly led to the home run on the next pitch.

But it's not like the Braves didn't get bad calls going that way - Lohse had struck out Ross in the second inning, only to lose it to time being granted. You don't grant time after a guy has started his windup. And it directly led to the home run on the next pitch.
This plus the Chipper infield hit giving the Braves back the out the infield fly rule caused is why I'm not convinced the bad call was the difference in the game.

This plus the Chipper infield hit giving the Braves back the out the infield fly rule caused is why I'm not convinced the bad call was the difference in the game.

dude, it was in left field. a baseball team can play like dog shit all game but all tehy need is one lucky break and/or play and they can still win it. this was it and Holbrook absolutely blew it.

zulux21

There's still a chance Braves fans.

mlb already changed the post season format (the 2-3 games thing with 3/4 getting home field for the first 2 games) because they didn't have enough time for everything... there is no way any sort of protest gets awarded regardless of the situation.

Malo

Banned
Just saw that play which they called the infield fly rule... what the fuck are the umps thinking? Holy shit. Just fire all of them off in a rocket to the fucking sun.

Top Bottom