• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

lHg14.jpg

lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Joe Torre just announced the protest is officially denied.

Torre said he denied the protest because Holbrook's call was a judgment call and you can't protest judgment calls.
Isn't almost every call an ump makes a judgment call? What a load of horseshit.

Opiate

In defense of any person on the losing side, I will say this is not true. Advancing in the playoffs helps a city a whole lot, it increases the city a community morale, it just makes everyone happier and in turn makes the city better and draw more people. It makes heroes and role models and future leaders. It bring people together, it does a hell of a lot.

It is anything but "just a game".

Ugh, I can't believe this is happening again. I really should not try to offer people consolation.

Here, think about this: even the most facile, most puerile show ever produced for TV employs many people to make it and also makes at least a few viewers out there happy. This does not suddenly make the show important and serious just because some people make a living off it and because some people would be sad if it were gone. Things are not imparted meaning just because some people care about it.

It's just a game, don't be silly. There's really no reason to beat yourself up about your (or their) team losing. If the Cardinals don't make it, that's fine; it's just a silly game.

Sure, some guy also makes a living as a keygrip for Days of our Lives. That doesn't make Days of our Lives a serious work of modern fiction. It's a silly show. Which is fine! There is room for silliness in our lives; I certainly love baseball.

no actually it's not the same and this is isn't silly. a team going deeper into the playoffs brings increased revenue for the stadium workers, restaurants, hotels, etc, etc. so it is a business actually and not only that but viewers at home deserve a game played cleanly adn crisply, not this muddled crap that was thrown in. clean game makes it more fun and fair for everybody.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I can't believe this is happening again. I really should not try to offer people consolation.

Here, think about this: even the most facile, most puerile show ever produced for TV employs at least a few viewers out there happy. This does not suddenly make this show important and serious just because some people make a living off it and because some people would be sad if it were gone. Things are not imparted meaning just because some people care about it -- if that were the case, literally anything anyone in the world cares about is meaningful.

It's just a game, don't be silly. There's really no reason to beat yourself up about your team losing.

My team won.

The Braves and the city of Atlanta collectively embarrassed themselves tonight.

Even if you actually believe this, you can't deny that the MLB embarrassed themselves tonight by stubbornly defending a horrible call and also for adding a one game playoff, which in baseball is essentially a coinflip.

Opiate

no actually it's not the same and this is isn't silly. a team going deeper into the playoffs brings increased revenue for the stadium workers, restaurants, hotels, etc, etc.p

A silly TV show continuing on the air brings in a paycheck for the keygrips, the actors, the electricians who service the studio, the restaurants nearby, etc.

By your definition literally anything that creates revenue (and thus also creates income) is serious and important.

so it is a business actually and not only that but viewers at home deserve a game played cleanly adn crisply, not this muddled crap that was thrown in. clean game makes it more funa dn fair for everybody.

Yes, I definitely agree that a clean game is more fun to watch. I was just trying to console people so that they didn't feel angry and sad.

My team won.

I know. Your particular allegiances are not the point. Every time I try to console angry, upset people in sports threads I seem to do nothing but make them angrier, and I really still do not understand why. Self evidently I'd be better off letting people simply be angry and sad about a silly game where you hit a ball with sticks. Baseball is my favorite sport after Chess -- I follow it aggressively and just a few pages ago did a detailed statistical analysis of Cy Young comparisons -- but of course I recognize at the end of the day that baseball is my Sex in the City, my Days of our Lives, my McDonalds.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Holbrook also defended his call after watching it on video.

This pisses me off more. I'm a braves fan, and I'm not overly pissed that this call lost us the game. To many defense errors by Atlanta.

FFS though at least man up that you blew it. If you can't I don't want you umping ever again.

Brashnir

no actually it's not the same and this is isn't silly. a team going deeper into the playoffs brings increased revenue for the stadium workers, restaurants, hotels, etc, etc..

A team did advance in the playoffs. One was going to advance no matter what happened, and the other was going home. There is no net job change, just movement.

Allow me to make the joke that is going to be repeated ad nauseum for the next 2 days.

"Well, I guess all the NFL replacement refs just went to baseball"

Whatever it takes to sleep at night, champ. I am mostly indifferent towards the Cards, but I hope they lose by 10 runs in every game against the Nats.
I just plugged in the situations into the WP calculator. The Ross HR changed WP by 0.2231 in favor of Atlanta. The blown call changed WP by 0.1396 in favor of St. Louis.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/other/wpa_inquirer.php

I used 4.5 for run environment but I don't know if that's right though.

Fangraphs says the HR was only a change of 0.232 so my run environment variable is probably off. Still a greater swing than the blown call though.

A team did advance in the playoffs. One was going to advance no matter what happened, and the other was going home. There is no net job change, just movement.

A silly TV show continuing on the air brings in a paycheck for the keygrips, the actors, the electricians who service the studio, the restaurants nearby, etc.

By your definition literally anything that creates revenue (and thus also creates income) is serious and important.

Yes, I definitely agree that a clean game is more fun to watch. I was just trying to console people so that they didn't feel angry and sad.

I know. Your particular allegiances are not the point. Every time I try to console angry, upset people in sports threads I seem to do nothing but make them angrier, and I really still do not understand why. Self evidently I'd be better off letting people simply be angry and sad about a silly game where you hit a ball with sticks. Baseball is my favorite sport after Chess -- I follow it aggressively and just a few pages ago did a detailed statistical analysis of Cy Young comparisons -- but of course I recognize at the end of the day that baseball is my Sex in the City, my Days of our Lives, my McDonalds.

why are you trying to compare a TV show to baseball? a TV show is made up, Baseball is real and happening in front of our eyes. why shouldn't people react to something that is real and happening as we speak?

honestly I see absolutely nothing wrong with Torre's statement. While I agree that the infield fly should have never been called via the spirit of the rule and it was a bad call, by the actual definition of the rule it was indeed an infield fly.

But the rule you quoted says this at the end...

The umpire's judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately."

I doubt I'll be sleeping tonight as a braves fan.. chipper's last game, errors all over the place, 1 game playoff bs ends up biting us in the ass, huge blown call.. ugghh i seriously feel sick

as for throwing trash on the field big deal, not like it hasn't happened before and won't happen again.. some of people act like it was the greatest travesty in the history of pro sports, uhh no.

To me the biggest travesty with that call was not where the infielder was (even though he was basically in the outfield), it was WHEN the ump made the call.

Watch this video starting around 1:00 in- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBSZcKXd_I

The ump doesn't call it until a split second before the ball lands, and from his vantage point he could probably have seen it wouldn't be caught at that point. So it was just like a super bail out call.

Was throwing stuff on the field stupid? Sure.

In a world where people riot and destroy property after WINNING? I'd say its a rather mild reaction.

zulux21

But the rule you quoted says this at the end...

immediately in this case doesn't come off as a as soon as the ball leaves the bat, it comes off as he needs to decide at that moment if the infielder could have gotten the ball. He can't not call it have a double play turned and then decide to call it, it needs to be called immediately as the ball is going to be caught or before that point.

edit: again though, I don't remotely think it should have been called by the spirit of what the infield fly rule is there for (to stop a player from dropping the ball to turn a double play), but by the strict definition of the rules regarding the infield fly it does indeed fit, which is why it is a judgement play and thus not able to be turned over in protest.

now if there had been only a runner on first and it was called, or two outs and it was called you would have room to get it turned over because the infield fly can't be called in that situation.

Madtown_

I was kind of rooting against the Braves going into the game since everyone was cocky with Medlen pitching..

But man, what a terrible call. I'll be surprised if there are 6 umpires in the playoffs next year.

A lot more than 'just a game' in my opinion as well.

immediately in this case doesn't come off as a as soon as the ball leaves the bat, it comes off as he needs to decide at that moment if the infielder could have gotten the ball. He can't not call it have a double play turned and then decide to call it, it needs to be called immediately as the ball is going to be caught or before that point.

Infield fly should not be called any later than the ball reaching its highest point. The shortstop had already moved out of the way and the ball was well on its way down when the call was made. That's the problem. The rule is designed to protect the offense not the defense.

devilhawk

To me the biggest travesty with that call was not where the infielder was (even though he was basically in the outfield), it was WHEN the ump made the call.

Watch this video starting around 1:00 in- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOBSZcKXd_I

The ump doesn't call it until a split second before the ball lands, and from his vantage point he could probably have seen it wouldn't be caught at that point. So it was just like a super bail out call.
Exactly. I actually think he called it after noticing the infielder pulling away. The official rule says it should be called near the apex of the fly ball. That wasn't even close to the apex at all.

PNut

Banned
FUCK MLB, the umps and Selig!!!! Worst shit I've ever seen. Ted Turner should drop MLB playoffs from his network. Thank fucking Christ we have football going on and the NBA about to tip. Baseball playoffs are a fucking joke now.

GO DOGS!!!!

Sanjuro

The biggest travesty of the night was the TBS broadcast. We should have a .gif of Jimmy Carter throwing his beer on the field by now.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I wish I was there I would've thrown shit too. I knew we'd lose so what's the point.

Ironically today they were hyping the defense on the pregame show on the radio.

'brooks conrad is not playing in the infield tonight'

lol how ironic

Brashnir

FUCK MLB, the umps and Selig!!!! Worst shit I've ever seen. Ted Turner should drop MLB playoffs from his network. Thank fucking Christ we have football going on and the NBA about to tip. Baseball playoffs are a fucking joke now.

GO DOGS!!!!

yes, bad calls have never been made in the MLB playoffs until tonight, and Selig and his top men set out specifically to screw your team.

Top Bottom