• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

the magnitude of both plays are not equivalent .
The Chipper infield hit and blown call aren't. The infield hit and the 2 run HR together are close enough to the impact of the blown call. Especially in light of the 3 run win. If the Cards win by only 1 run, then yeah, the call is definitely the difference.

JABEE

mlb already changed the post season format (the 2-3 games thing with 3/4 getting home field for the first 2 games) because they didn't have enough time for everything... there is no way any sort of protest gets awarded regardless of the situation.
What's the point of the protest system then?

lucius

I always thought the rule was basically there so that a ball hit in the infield when the player was under the ball would not drop it on purpose for double play making the game a joke, which none of that was even close. Now the ump just made the play a joke, MLB defends it they look stupid

It's over now though nothing else will happen.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
They wouldn't resume. If a protest is granted, the original game is trashed and a new game is played.

Cripes. I can feel where you're coming from, but I don't think MLB will allow this, it will hurt their name more than a blown call. Such a crummy way to have a playoff game.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Chipper infield hit and blown call aren't. The infield hit and the 2 run HR together are close enough to the impact of the blown call. Especially in light of the 3 run win.
Whatever it takes to sleep at night, champ. I am mostly indifferent towards the Cards, but I hope they lose by 10 runs in every game against the Nats.

I bet Phil Cuzzi is feeling pretty good right now. His shitty call in left field from 2009 has finally been eclipsed!

YSKRB.jpg

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought they play a new game. Do you have a link to this rule?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/start_end_4.jsp

PROTESTING GAMES.
Each league shall adopt rules governing procedure for protesting a game, when a manager claims that an umpire’s decision is in violation of these rules. No protest shall ever be permitted on judgment decisions by the umpire. In all protested games, the decision of the League President shall be final.
Even if it is held that the protested decision violated the rules, no replay of the game will be ordered unless in the opinion of the League President the violation adversely affected the protesting team’s chances of winning the game.
Rule 4.19 Comment: Whenever a manager protests a game because of alleged misapplication of the rules the protest will not be recognized unless the umpires are notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch, play or attempted play. A protest arising on a game-ending play may be filed until 12 noon the following day with the league office.

zulux21

What's the point of the protest system then?

normally it would be to allow a chance for a horrible call to be overturned and a proper finish to the game be played. In this situation though I just can't imagine no matter how legitimate the protest is that mlb will allow the protest due to time constraints and tv contracts for the post season.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As a Braves fan despite the calls if we don't have 3 errors I'd be more pissed. Atl cost themselves enough of this one with some bad defense.

Joe Torre just announced the protest is officially denied.

Torre said he denied the protest because Holbrook's call was a judgment call and you can't protest judgment calls.

Opiate

It's just a game, guys. Not a big deal. Good luck to the Braves next season regardless, it's exciting to see Heyward play and your farm system recruitment seems extremely strong.

Joe Torre just announced the protest is officially denied.

Torre said he denied the protest because Holbrook's call was a judgment call and you can't protest judgment calls.

i'm dissapointed in you Torre. but you're a suit now so it's to be expected.

It's just a game, guys. Not a big deal. Good luck to the Braves next season regardless, it's exciting to see Heyward play and your farm system recruitment seems extremely strong.

.........sigh. yes, yes it is. but to some other people it's a job.

Torre also announced Braves GM Frank Wren elected not to appeal the decision.

Also, Sam Holbrook said the other 5 umpires agreed with him and did not recommend changing the call.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member

In defense of any person on the losing side, I will say this is not true. Advancing in the playoffs helps a city a whole lot, it increases the city a community morale, it just makes everyone happier and in turn makes the city better and draw more people. It makes heroes and role models and future leaders. It bring people together, it does a hell of a lot.

It is anything but "just a game".

Opiate

.........sigh. yes, yes it is. but to some other people it's a job.

Sure, some guy also makes a living as a keygrip for Days of our Lives. That doesn't make Days of our Lives a serious work of modern fiction. It's a silly show. Which is fine! There is room for silliness in our lives; I certainly love baseball.

zulux21

i'm dissapointed in you Torre. but you're a suit now so it's to be expected.

honestly I see absolutely nothing wrong with Torre's statement. While I agree that the infield fly should have never been called via the spirit of the rule and it was a bad call, by the actual definition of the rule it was indeed an infield fly.

"An infield fly is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out," says Rule 2.00 in the definition of terms. "The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule."

"The umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder -- not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines," it says. "The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire's judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire's judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately."

The fly ball in question could have ordinarily been handled by an average shortstop. it was up in the air more than long enough for a short stop to get to it, and in fact the short stop did get to it he just seemed to lose sight of it. It was strictly that umpire's judgement that the infield fly needed to be called for that situation to avoid a double play. Obviously it was horribly wrong judgement but protests do strictly say that judgement calls won't be overturned.

Top Bottom