• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

I think the Cards had that game on lock anyway, but I'm still sorry for the terrible calls Braves-GAF. Maybe we can get a nice STL v ATL rivalry going over this.

The most egregious blown call was Chipper being called safe at first base in the ninth inning when the Cards 1b stepped on the bag TWICE before Jones got there. There's no room for subjectivity and no rules interpretation required there...
Obvious gift call so Chipper doesn't go out 0-5 but it's hard to get worked up over it since a more important call benefited the Cards a inning earlier. Still peeved that the late time out call that led to the Ross HR is completely ignored even though that had a bigger impact on win probability than the infield fly call.

linkboy

RIP Frankman.

What did he get banned for?

I think he said the word that rhymes with hunt.

As for the game, the infield fly call was crap, but (as Chipper put it), those errors had a much bigger impact (since they all led to runs).

People are playing the what if card in regards to that IF ruling, but the next batter easily could have hit into a double play, ending the inning with no runs scored.

Those errors, on the other hand, cost the Braves 3 runs.

Seguin

Banned
Is it against the rules to say cunt on Neogaf? I don't see that anywhere in the FAQ forum. Or did he call someone that, because that would be a personal attack.

McNei1y

Is it against the rules to say cunt on Neogaf? I don't see that anywhere in the FAQ forum. Or did he call someone that, because that would be a personal attack.

I'm sure it was directed at someone.

I can't wait to watch some more playoff baseball tonight.

cashman

Banned
Washington's best quality has always been that he gets players to play hard for him, and clubhouse management, but he's clearly failed. I don't think it will happen, but it's time for him
to go.

PS: RIP Frankman

Hito already confirmed in the NFL thread that it was a perm.

This forum changed so much since the early part of last decade.

But I guess if it can bankroll trips across the globe for people with content/community created by other people, it's for the better.

RIP, Frankman. :(

cashman

Banned
Have I mentioned how excited I am to see Jurickson Profar play full time? Because I am pretty fucking excited to see that. 6 more months!

Have I mentioned how excited I am to see Jurickson Profar play full time? Because I am pretty fucking excited to see that. 6 more months!

Look, it's OK to let the pain out. You don't need to hide your emotions behind this Jurickson Profar wall you've built. What you are doing right now is not healthy.

cashman

Banned
Gonna lol so hard when they actually trade him this offseason.

Involved in a megatrade to the Rays!
I will go full Branduil

Look, it's OK to let the pain out. You don't need to hide your emotions behind this Jurickson Profar wall you've built. What you are doing right now is not healthy.

It's kinda sad that the 2008-2012 era of Rangers didn't win a World Series. These last few years have been the golden age of Rangers baseball, and I never really thought I'd be experience something as awesome as the last two years have been. As much as I hated them, I'm kind of bummed that the Rangers couldn't win a World Series with Hamilton and Young.

Jangocube

Banned
Jango came back from the dead, maybe Frank can!

Man, if they are permabanning for what I said in my last ban, Neogaf is going downhill fast. Kind of defeats the purpose of a forum if people can't voice their opinions in a non-aggressive manner.

That said, fuck the Yankees.

It's kinda sad that the 2008-2012 era of Rangers didn't win a World Series. These last few years have been the golden age of Rangers baseball, and I never really thought I'd be experience something as awesome as the last two years have been. As much as I hated them, I'm kind of bummed that the Rangers couldn't win a World Series with Hamilton and Young.

That feel.
1727-i-know-that-feel.png

Cousteau

I will go full Branduil

Is this the end of the road or something?

C38E8277A88C4B1B89A55ACFD8D2ACA4.ashx

Multiple story lines help lift Tigers to top of local TV ratings list

By John Ourand & David Broughton, Staff Writers

Published October 1, 2012

Buoyed by a tight race in the AL Central, plus Miguel Cabrera’s run for baseball’s first Triple Crown since 1967, the Detroit Tigers are poised to win Major League Baseball’s local TV ratings crown this season.

The average rating for Tigers' games on FS Detroit were on pace to be the highest in team history.
Photo by: GETTY IMAGES
With about 1 1/2 weeks left in the regular season, Tigers games on FS Detroit were on pace to be the highest in team history. Games have averaged a 9.13 rating so far this season, a massive 42 percent increase from last season. The 168,000 average homes that tune into Tigers games is the third-highest audience in MLB.

“A lot of great story lines have captured the attention of Tigers fans this season, and it’s reflected in the ratings,” said Greg Hammaren, senior vice president and general manager of Fox Sports Detroit.

Another strong story was in Cincinnati, where Reds games on FS Ohio are on pace to finish second in overall ratings. Its 8.64 average rating is, by far, the team’s highest local TV rating since at least the mid-1990s and shows renewed interest in a franchise that is set to make the playoffs for only the second time since 1995.

The Reds are followed by the Cardinals on FS Midwest (7.68) and Pirates on Root Pittsburgh (6.52).

Those ratings come as MLB teams have seen their local TV ratings drop 6 percent overall so far this season.

On the lower end of the league, the Astros’ 1.02 rating is on pace to become MLB’s lowest local TV rating since 2008, when the Nationals registered a 0.61 rating. The team, which has lost more than 100 games during its final season on FS Houston, has averaged only 22,000 households per game, a 33 percent drop from last season.

Despite the Yankees' being in a pennant race, their games are on pace to be the lowest rated on YES Network in 10 seasons. If ratings don’t increase in the season’s last week, the team’s 3.87 rating will mark the first time Yankee ratings have fallen below a 4.0 since 2003. This year’s ratings are down 17.5 percent from the Yankees’ high of 4.69 in 2007.

The surprising Orioles and Nationals have lifted MASN’s ratings in the Baltimore-Washington corridor. Ratings for Nats games have risen higher than any other team, up 74 percent to average a 2.54. The Nats have clinched the first playoff spot in Washington, D.C., since 1933. Orioles games are up 42 percent, which is the league’s fourth-highest increase. The O’s are guaranteed their first winning season since 1997. The Dodgers (up 70 percent), Rangers (up 51 percent) and Tigers (up 42 percent) also posted significant ratings increases this season.

Last year’s ratings champion, the Phillies, saw their ratings drop 39 percent on Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia this season. Their 5.61 rating dropped to seventh on MLB’s local TV ratings list.

“The Phillies continue to provide strong ratings, but are off of their historic highs of the last couple of years,” said Jon Litner, group president of NBC Sports Group. “Ratings are up and down for our regionals. Overall, we have a few home runs and a few double plays.”

Nielsen data represents all 29 U.S.-based teams. Through Sept. 23, Sportsnet drew an average total audience of 552,200 for its Blue Jays broadcasts, marking a 9 percent increase over the 2011 season average audience, according to BBM Canada.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Blowing up the team just for the sake of blowing up the team is the stupidest thing you can do.

I expect most of those guys to be back in Rangers uniforms next year. Washington has to go though, he's always been a fucking awful manager.

more than likely yes. Washington, Young, Hamilton, one of Kinsler or Andrus, and possibly Cruz and Murphy have a possibility of being gone this off season.
Two of the following young pitchers: Lance Lynn/Joe Kelly/Trevor Rosenthal/Carlos Martinez plus Matt Adams for Elvis. Would you?

Ganhyun

Got plastered last night and woke up still pissed off. Then I hear the Cards are celebrating by chanting infield fly?

Fuck the Cards.

Fuck Bud Selig

Fuck that idiotic umpire

I hate everyone and everything right now.

AAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

fuck it, Im gonna go get hammered again.

Sharp

Despite the fact that they have the whole country to pull from, I seriously doubt that the Jays outdraw the Yankees by nearly double on average. Numbers must be calculated differently or something.
Ratings are based on the percentage of the local market's households tuned in at any one time, not the total number (that's the fifth graph, where the Yankees lead comfortably). Usually 18-49 viewers are the only ones networks care about, though I'm not sure it works the same way in sports (might be 25-54 or something). So it's entirely possible that the Jays draw better in the greater Toronto area than the Yankees do in New York.

Top Bottom