• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

RBH

And I was actually thinking about going to this game too.

Shit, I was at Turner Field for the horror that was the Brooks Conrad game from two years ago against the Giants. I don't think I could take this kind of shit live.

Having a travel day tomorrow seems to contradict the idea of punishing the WC winner. If Game 1 of the LDS started tomorrow for the Cards/Nats and Orioles/Yankees, we wouldn't have to deal with the 2-3 format either. Wonder if there's a provision from the player's union CBA that prevents all that travel from happening in the playoffs.

And I was actually thinking about going to this game too.

Shit, I was at Turner Field for the horror that was the Brooks Conrad game from two years ago against the Giants. I don't think I could take this kind of shit live.

Same here. In fact, we were going until I heard the 5:07 start time. Fuck that. I think I would have had a mental breakdown being at this game after also attending the Conrad nightmare too.

hate the reds. They are the most overrated team in the playoffs.

My picks

Giants > Reds
Cardinals > Nationals
Athletics > Tigers
Orioles > Yankees

though i might flip-flop on the tigers-a's series.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dunno if it was mentioned through all the chaos yesterday but Frankman evidently got permabanned. Now who is going to hype the shit out of Jason Bay after he hits one of his eight homers on the year?

Talon

I woke up in the middle of the night cause I was still fucking pissed.

Eat a bag of dicks and get fucked, Selig.
Only way to avoid your issue. And I'm 100% serious. League champions meet in the World Series. Fuck playoffs.
A man after my own heart.

eznark

Banned
Meh. Only reason the Braves are in the playoffs at all is because of Selig so I don't get that logic.

Unless you just mean fuck the wild card in any form, which I agree with.

Talon

Meh. Only reason the Braves are in the playoffs at all is because of Selig so I don't get that logic.

Unless you just mean fuck the wild card in any form, which I agree with.
How is it not explicitly clear that I hate the wild card?

I thought that had been a key component of my persona in this thread.

Jangocube

Banned
Watched the game at a buddies house so I couldn't really post last night, but good game Rangers. Sucks it was a one game playoff that knocked you guys out. It should have been a 3 game series at least.

That said, Stankees, you assholes are going down.

NomarTyme

Watched the game at a buddies house so I couldn't really post last night, but good game Rangers. Sucks it was a one game playoff that knocked you guys out. It should have been a 3 game series at least.

That said, Stankees, you assholes are going down.

Got to agree with ya.

I like this wild card thing. It's like skipping straight to the game 7 of a series. It's meeting a girl and going straight to the nookie without all the wining and dining in between, or skipping through the previews and stupid credit sequences with the long panning shots and lame music at the movies.

If you're the foreplay type, well, you could always win the division instead of collapsing in the final two weeks of the season

xbhaskarx

The most egregious blown call was Chipper being called safe at first base in the ninth inning when the Cards 1b stepped on the bag TWICE before Jones got there. There's no room for subjectivity and no rules interpretation required there...

RBH

The team that I'm now rooting for in the playoffs.............

BernieLean.gif

Man what a crazy day of baseball. That Rangers collapse has to be up there with any of the other huge collapses in recent history. Hope the O's and A's can keep their magic going, it would be an amazing ALCS between the 2.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny to see how cyclical this thread is. I could have sworn I read a lot of those responses earlier last night.

As for the celebrating, I think they were doing it based on the getting in the playoffs since they didn't celebrate when the Dodgers lost to the Giants to secure them a spot in the playoffs. And I never heard them chant "infield fly" only "Happy Flight" like they did last year. But if they did the former then it is in poor spirit.

Either way, the calls were bad on both sides and if we keep going on could have would have about how calls went, we'd be discussing a single game for months.

In the end, baseball isn't about winning every game, it's about winning the ones that count. That's how every sport is, I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about it all of a sudden.

eznark

Banned
It's funny to see how cyclical this thread is. I could have sworn I read a lot of those responses earlier last night.

As for the celebrating, I think they were doing it based on the getting in the playoffs since they didn't celebrate when the Dodgers lost to the Giants to secure them a spot in the playoffs. And I never heard them chant "infield fly" only "Happy Flight" like they did last year. But if they did the former then it is in poor spirit.

Either way, the calls were bad on both sides and if we keep going on could have would have about how calls went, we'd be discussing a single game for months.

In the end, baseball isn't about winning every game, it's about winning the ones that count. That's how every sport is, I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about it all of a sudden.

Where have you been all year?

RBH

628x471.jpg

Oakland A's management said Friday that it does not plan to sell 20,878 of O.co Coliseum's 55,945 seats next week for the A's division showdown with the Detroit Tigers. Those seats account for about 37 percent of the Coliseum's baseball seating capacity, and A's management has sealed them off with tarps since 2006 due to low attendance.

But now the Oakland A's are drawing sellout crowds. So many fans showed up for the last game of the season on Wednesday that A's management warned people to stay away because there were no tickets left.

Fans are demanding that the team remove the tarps to let more people in - some have started a petition via a website called Removethetarps.com. Many have pelted A's management with complaints.

On Friday, A's management explained to The Chronicle why they would not remove the tarps.

A smaller crowd, A's managers said, would create a closer, more intimate environment for the American League Division Series.

"The fan experience is better without spreading fans out over more seats," A's executives wrote in an e-mail. "The energy in the park and the fan experience over the last week (when the seats were tarped) was incredible."

Since 2006, shortly after Lew Wolff bought the team, most of the third deck and the outfield stands known as Mount Davis have been covered with dark green tarps. The Raiders, who share the Coliseum with the A's, remove the tarps for their home games.

The A's rationale is that most games are far from sellouts, so they want fans to gather in the lower decks rather than scatter throughout the stadium.

"Here's a team that says they need to leave Oakland because there's no support. Yet here you have thousands of people who are begging to put money in the A's pockets, and they tell fans, 'Sorry, you have to watch it on TV,' " said Doug Boxer, a former Oakland planning commissioner and organizer of an A's fan group called Let's Go Oakland. "It doesn't make any sense." So far this year, the A's have sold out only seven of 79 games in the 35,067 seats in the non-tarp area.

A's fans already feel betrayed by Wolff, who's been trying for years to move the team. He's awaiting word from Major League Baseball on his request to move the A's to San Jose, saying his team cannot succeed in Oakland while sharing a stadium with the Raiders, and Oakland has no other suitable sites for a ballpark. The team has defied all odds and expectations, however. Despite having the lowest payroll in the American League, the team shocked the sports world and thrilled their fans by overcoming a 13-game deficit and clinching the American League West title after sweeping the Texas Rangers.

They open the division series Saturday in Detroit and return to Oakland on Tuesday for the best-of-five series. That game is sold out, as is Wednesday's, if it's played.

A's managers said they'll roll up the tarps only if the A's reach the World Series.

That's not good enough, said Oakland City Councilman and Coliseum Authority Co-Chairman Ignacio De La Fuente.

"Anyone in their right mind would open those seats," he said. Keeping the seats closed "is denying fans the chance to show their incredible support for the A's. I don't understand it."
Even seasoned sports marketing professionals were bewildered by Wolff's decision.

Longtime sports marketer Paul Siri of Redwood City, a former executive with IMG, said he'd never seen an owner say "no" to the chance to sell more tickets, hot dogs, beer, T-shirts and other merchandise at a high-profile game that's sure to sell out.

The move makes sense only if Wolff is trying to convince Major League Baseball he can't build a successful team in Oakland, Siri said.

"Looking at this from his point of view, this is the worst thing that could happen," Siri said.

"His team wins, media exposure increases, the stadium sells out, and suddenly he loses his leverage to move. It kills his argument. ... I don't blame the fans for being upset."

Sara Somers, an Oakland resident who's with a group called Save Oakland Sports, was reluctant to criticize Wolff but said the players deserve a strong, boisterous crowd.

"Intimate is not what you want for a playoff game. You want noise. You want the crowd's energy to be contagious," she said. "Management needs to give the team the best home-field advantage they can."
http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-s-refuse-to-remove-tarp-3923932.php

beast786

Only the packers fan from last year can truly answere that question.

hemtae

Dunno if it was mentioned through all the chaos yesterday but Frankman evidently got permabanned. Now who is going to hype the shit out of Jason Bay after he hits one of his eight homers on the year?

Well Mets-gaf will be more depressing without him. What did he do?

Top Bottom