• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

Opiate

Out of curiosity, who here favors the inclusion of defensive value when choosing the Cy Young? What about a pitcher's hitting? Do we hand out the award to the most-valuable-player-who-is-a-pitcher, or do we hand it out to the player who pitched the best?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Out of curiosity, who here favors the inclusion of defensive value when choosing the Cy Young? What about a pitcher's hitting? Do we hand out the award to the most-valuable-player-who-is-a-pitcher, or do we hand it out to the player who pitched the best?
I'd say no to including other factors. It should be who pitched the best. They already give out Golden Gloves and Silver Sluggers for the pitcher position.

EDIT - As for your comparison analysis, you make good points and as a Mets fan, I hope you're right.

Talon

It's Eric Gregg in the 1997 NLCS giving Livan Hernandez the biggest strike zone ever seen.
:jnc at that first comment

"I dont care that hes dead, he disabused me of any notions of fairness when I was only 10 years old. Thank you Eric Gregg for making me a cynical asshole" - ealter95

RBH

:jnc at that first comment

"I dont care that hes dead, he disabused me of any notions of fairness when I was only 10 years old. Thank you Eric Gregg for making me a cynical asshole" - ealter95

I liked the other top comment too. :lol

eric gregg was umping like he was double parked

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Straight talk, get your bets into Vegas right now because I've got the Postseason locked down:

Cards over Braves
O's over Rangers

Cards over Nationals
Giants over Reds

O's over Yankees
A's over Tigers

Cards over Giants
O's over A's

Card's over the dirty moving Browns. Rematch of 1944.

Also, this was my first full year on MLB-GAF! I feel like I'm part of something.

Opiate

Albert Pujols WAR totals since 2008:

2008: 9.1
2009: 9.0 (-.1 WAR year over year)
2010: 7.5 (-1.5 WAR YoY; -1.6 WAR totall)
2011: 5.0 (-2.5 WAR YoY; -4.1 WAR total)
2012: 3.9 (-1.1 WAR YoY; -5.2 WAR total)

I don't think this decline will continue unabated, and I can certainly imagine another great 6.0+ WAR season if he gets lucky, but I think the days where he is clearly the best player in baseball are over. From another perspective, his ranking in the league by year:

2008: 1st in WAR
2009: 1st in WAR
2010: 5th in WAR
2011: 23rd in WAR
2012: 24th in WAR

Pujols' salary is going to be escalating rapidly. It was 12M this year, which was a bargain even for a diminished Pujols; it will be 23M in 2014, and will continue escalating every year for another 7 years after that.

zulux21

Albert Pujols WAR totals since 2008:

2008: 9.1
2009: 9.0 (-.1 WAR year over year)
2010: 7.5 (-1.5 WAR YoY; -1.6 WAR totall)
2011: 5.0 (-2.5 WAR YoY; -4.1 WAR total)
2012: 3.9 (-1.1 WAR YoY; -5.2 WAR total)

I don't think this decline will continue unabated, and I can certainly imagine another great 6.0+ WAR season if he gets lucky, but I think the days where he is clearly the best player in baseball are over. From another perspective, his ranking in the league by year:

2008: 1st in WAR
2009: 1st in WAR
2010: 5th in WAR
2011: 23rd in WAR
2012: 24th in WAR

Pujols' salary is going to be escalating rapidly. It was 12M this year, which was a bargain even for a diminished Pujols; it will be 23M in 2014, and will continue escalating every year for another 7 years after that.

if he can manage to not have 5-7 weeks of pure suck he should be able to get back up to 6 war. I mean had he not had the start he did this year (aka playing in april/may like he did june- the end of the year) he likely would have broken at least 5 WAR again

omg I did not see that Hamilton error until this morning. Amazing.. ly bad.

Always just considered it a strictly pitching award, mostly because I assumed their fielding and hitting (especially hitting) were not real factors. I'd include them in MVP consideration for pitchers if they were significant enough, though.

Harold Reynolds comparing A's/Yanks team and crowd reactions to their clinches at the end of the game. Reynolds, you clown, the Yankees clinched 45 minutes before their game ended.

A's were probably still more excited, understandably

Edit: Holy shit, did Soriano actually say "Without me and what I do, there is no celebrating" in the Yankees post-game?! AWESOME

Harold Reynolds comparing A's/Yanks team and crowd reactions to their clinches at the end of the game. Reynolds, you clown, the Yankees clinched 45 minutes before their game ended.

A's were probably still more excited, understandably

Edit: Holy shit, did Soriano actually say "Without me and what I do, there is no celebrating" in the Yankees post-game?! AWESOME

The man is right! Who needs Mo.

alstein

I think those things are factored into the other stats- making good defensive plays will lower your ERA, and hitting like Mike Hampton instead of Tommy Hanson will help you score more runs and get wins.

That said , you do have to factor the overall team performance- so it kinda cuts both ways. I think there's a place for it, but it's small.

I cringe when ESPN talks about baseball. First take is awful in that regard. I like how they're using race baiting when it comes to why the media is praising Trout over Cabrera.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Less stats and more Jon gruden analysis please. He just plays baseball like he wants it!

Vas, avatar bet on series?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Stop watching espn (besides the games). You will feel much better. You can thank me later.

McNei1y

Stop watching espn (besides the games). You will feel much better. You can thank me later.

I stopped about 2 years ago and I have never felt better. The only thing I use ESPN for is whenever sports are on (but I usually hate every commentary team they have), Around The Horn, and 30 for 30. I don't care about what Tebow did today, what LeBron James ate for breakfast, and where The entire Boston Red Sox team went for Bobby V's judgement.

Less stats and more Jon gruden analysis please. He just plays baseball like he wants it!

Vas, avatar bet on series?

Avatar bet? Sure, why not? I suggest a two week bet. I'd go longer, but football season is upon us, and I got some good ideas for Bengals avatars. lol

Sanjuro

It's tough to make the case for Dickey. Many of the writers are going to hold it against him because he is exclusively a Mestball pitcher.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Predictions:

AL

Baltimore/Texas: Can't stop that Oriole Magic.

Yankees/Orioles: As I just said...
Detroit/Oakland: Detroit has the star power, but Oakland is probably the better team.

Baltimore/Oakland: The Orioles will lose 4 consecutive one-run extra-inning games in this series.

NL

St. Louis/Atlanta: I believe in Kris Medlen and Jason Heyward (against righties)

Washington/Atlanta: It's not your time just yet, Expo fans.
San Francisco/Cincinnati: 3 game sweep, Posey will be called out.

Atlanta/Cincinnati: This one is hard, have to go with the homer pick.

World Series

Oakland/Atlanta: Battle of the Youth Movements. Beane's shit still won't work in the playoffs.

McNei1y

It's tough to make the case for Dickey. Many of the writers are going to hold it against him because he is exclusively a Mestball pitcher.

And that really shouldn't be taken into account but what're you gonna do... give it to Gio and get it over with!

I want 3 Nats awards! Give it to me. GIVE THEM ALL TO ME. (Me=Nats)

Manager of the Year
Rookie of the Year
CY Young... of the Year

Brashnir

I don't think they should be directly considered, but a pitcher's fielding can certainly have an effect on his pitching stats, and his hitting can obviously have an effect on won/loss record. In this sense, they're already indirectly considered, and I don't think any more consideration beyond that is necessary.

And that really shouldn't be taken into account but what're you gonna do... give it to Gio and get it over with!

I want 3 Nats awards! Give it to me. GIVE THEM ALL TO ME. (Me=Nats)

Manager of the Year
Rookie of the Year
CY Young... of the Year

Gio for Cy Young is certainly not out of the question, but I don't think I'd call him the favorite at this point.

Also for Nats awards, Executive of the Year is in the bag, and LaRoche has a shot at comeback player.

Windu

braves/cardinals career splits

wjJ9U.png

Meier

to be fair that game isn't nearly as badly called as that video makes it out to be. The marker on the screen is where the catcher catches the ball not where it crossed the plate so they were much closer then the marker is showing, but there were a number of bad calls in there regardless :p

Not to mention the calls/strike zone were consistent. You have to make adjustments at some point.

Windu

I stopped about 2 years ago and I have never felt better. The only thing I use ESPN for is whenever sports are on (but I usually hate every commentary team they have), Around The Horn, and 30 for 30. I don't care about what Tebow did today, what LeBron James ate for breakfast, and where The entire Boston Red Sox team went for Bobby V's judgment.
yeah I used to watch sportscenter for braves highlights, would watch it for about an hour (after them promising it coming up after the break 30 minutes ago) and see 1 minute of footage. I then realized I was wasting my time and never went back, that was probably 3 or so years ago. I only watch ESPN when I have to now (when they have a exclusive game).

McNei1y

Gio for Cy Young is certainly not out of the question, but I don't think I'd call him the favorite at this point.

Also for Nats awards, Executive of the Year is in the bag, and LaRoche has a shot at comeback player.

It's definitely (well should be) Dickey's. The guy just pitched phenomenal. The factors: His age, a Knuckleballer, the IP, the K's, the team, etc. He turned so many heads.

I could see LaRoche in the running for comeback player but I think it's definitely Adam Dunn's year just because his year last year was atrocious compared to LaRoche's injury year.

Windu

shame Strasburg didn't have a few more innings. He was the best pitcher in the NL this season.

Meier

I hope the Giants flame out but Buster has a few monster games in the process.

I could see LaRoche in the running for comeback player but I think it's definitely Adam Dunn's year just because his year last year was atrocious compared to LaRoche's injury year.

I would think Posey is the frontrunner for Comeback POTY but those guys are good options as well.

McNei1y

shame Strasburg didn't have a few more innings. He was the best pitcher in the NL this season.

Yea. It's amazing that he's that high up and missed a good chunk of starts. Poor guy. I just hope he doesn't hold this as a grudge. I'm one of those guys that sees the decision go both ways. I think the best route would've been to just skip a start here and there... it would've been possible if they planned ahead.

McNei1y

I hope buster flames out and gives back the ROY award that he stole.

go away corran.

Yeah, from Wilson Ramos! lol just kidding.

Oh and I'm dumb. I put Adam Dunn up there... he's AL. Brainfart. Posey will probably win the NL still over LaRoche.

Top Bottom