• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Postseason Thread of More Wild Cards and Higher Champagne Budgets

h3ro

Baseball.

A9h60.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
God I'm such an old man. Fell asleep when Valverde took the mound. But really I already knew that bum would already blow that shit.

Fuck yeah baseball!

So is Arod no longer going to speak to Girardi now? I heard on Mike and Mike the other day that he still isnt on speaking terms with Torre after he dropped him to 8th in the playoffs.

see5harp

He actually hasn't had the velocity for a few years now, but even at 90-92 he can still accumulate the K's. The problem is the consistency, in all his bad starts this year it was always one big inning that doomed him, and he could never recover after losing his release point.

That is true. He hasn't had the high heat in a while. He really just didn't throw a ton of strikes this year. If he's ahead and keeping his pitch count down he can still fool a lot of guys.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I agree with this anonymous GM (its gotta be Sabean right?) - fuck the Nats.

"If we don't win the World Series, I don't care who does," one general manager told USA TODAY Sports, "as long as it's not those guys.

"They don't deserve to win it. Not after what they did."

Said a National League GM: "I hope they go down in flames. I hope it takes another 79 years before they get back to the playoffs. That's how strongly I feel about it."

"If we don't win the World Series, I don't care who does," one general manager told USA TODAY Sports, "as long as it's not those guys.

Said a National League GM: "I hope they go down in flames. I hope it takes another 79 years before they get back to the playoffs. That's how strongly I feel about it."

Needs more Lunatic Fringe.

Brashnir

So he wants his competitors to suck for decades. Shocking.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So he wants his competitors to suck for decades. Shocking.

It actually IS shocking.

GMs don't say this kind of stuff to reporters ever. Rizzo is a loudmouth know it all and is evidently not very well liked by his peers.

He's also a coward who caved into the demands of the biggest agent on the planet which makes the job that much harder for everybody else.

Brashnir

It actually IS shocking.

GMs don't say this kind of stuff to reporters ever. Rizzo is a loudmouth know it all and is evidently not very well liked by his peers.

A lot of it goes back to the Strasburg and Harber drafting and contracts. GMs whined until they changed the rules about signing rookies, and Rizzo still went out and drafted, then signed, the "unsignable" (because of the new rules) Lucas Giolito this summer.

NL GMs have been bitching publically about Rizzo for years now. This isn't surprising in the least.

McNei1y

Clicking links is actually pretty cool every now and then. The article refers to Rizzo shutting Strasburg down.

I didn't click the link for work reasons.

But people are dumb. Go deal with your own team you clowns. Shutting a guy down because they said they would isn't shocking. They shut down Zimmermann before hand. Deal with it. The only argument that should be made is why they didn't decide on skipping a few starts here and there... and even that argument is risky.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So is Arod no longer going to speak to Girardi now? I heard on Mike and Mike the other day that he still isnt on speaking terms with Torre after he dropped him to 8th in the playoffs.

The Centaur are a proud race, this type of public shaming will not bode well.

Sorry I'm late on this. A couple of players, I can't remember exactly who, said he was 'slurring speech.' One of them was Bronson Arroyo. My source I believe was Jim Day's twitter account. To be honest, I was kinda upset by the news, so I didn't dwell on it too much. This was reported when he first addressed the team, so he may be a lot better now.

I think you misread the article, if it makes you feel better. It sounds like Arroyo was describing the symptoms (secondhand) of the mini-stroke Baker had as he was leaving the hospital, not anything after he recovered.

Baker revealed that when he was being released from the hospital on Friday, he suffered a "mini-stroke."

"He had some slurred speech," pitcher Bronson Arroyo said, describing the symptoms Baker experienced on Friday. "The diagnosis was a slight stroke. The stroke team was right there and got after it. He said they said they see it all the time. They took care of it."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8425466/dusty-baker-suffered-stroke-return-cincinnati-reds-final-series-next-week

turnbuckle

Verlander's most important game of his life. Too bad the Tiger's offense is so fucking terrible it doesn't matter who is on the mound.

You misspelled bullpen.

I'll be heartbroken if the Tigers lose this one but I can't hate on the A's. Is it defeatist of me to say I'm already looking forward to next season where Valverde, Delmon, and perhaps Peralta will be gone?

One thing's for sure, we gotta re-sign Anibal and hope to find a suitor for Rick Porcello. I think he'd be pretty effective with a defense behind him and a pitching staff that isn't hell-bent on making him mainly a contact pitcher.

I think it was more how Torre handled the situation. I still never understand the hate Torre got for that but the media are a bunch of idiots anyways.He did it in 03 with with Giambi against Boston and no one bitched then. Why? Because it fucking worked.

Even last night they're saying shit like "how can you come up with the decision to pinch hit one of the greatest players of all time?!" because he has 7k's with 11AB you fucking dolts!

See this post right here?

It's proof.

Proof I'm the greatest baseball mind in the world. Proof that I should be a GM, Analyst, Manager, 3rd base coach; you name it. I called it. When everybody else was wrong, I was right, because I'm so fucking smart. I knew one day you plebes would have to crown me the true king of MLB GAF because I was always smarter at baseball than all of you put together times 3, but I just never could prove it until today. And when the Giants win just as I wisely foretold they would, it will make my victory over the baseball world complete.

When the Giants win today, it will stand as proof that I am the greatest baseball mind in the history of the game. When the Giants win today, it will stand as validation for a lifetime of baseball genius, unparalleled biblical prophecy levels of foresight and intuition. Wisdom that may very well have me enshrined in Cooperstown one day.

I'll be fielding calls from every major sports publication in the world, begging for me to grace their grey existence with my supreme intelligence. All because the Giants win today. Book it. Bet on it. Bet your Mom's prescription drug money on it. Not because you hate your Mom, but because you love her.

When the Giants win today, it will mark one of the most unlikely, unbelievable comebacks in sports history. We will all remember how Tim Lincecum triumphed, came back and saved a team that was lost doomed with his legendary pitching performance; winning our hearts in the process. We'll remember it as the greatest sports story in the history of sports, as it led to today's Giants win, the greatest victory in sports history. And it will all happen because of what will undeniably, most assuredly will happen today: The Giants win. Book it. Bet on it. Drink it. Eat it. It's going to happen.

If this were a fantasy world where things that scientifically must happen didn't happen and by some divine act the Giants didn't win, I'd look like the dumbest piece of shit on the planet. I'd look so foolish, it would expose me as a complete idiot. A perpetual pessimist. A pitiful arrogant prick who finally got what he deserved.

It would shut me up so bad, I might never post on GAF again. I might have to apologize to GAF. I might have to change my name and begin a new life with a new identity because I would be so humiliated, humbled, and subsequently mocked that the man known as vas_a_morir would simply have to disappear forever. I'd look like a complete asshole dipshit. Good thing the Giants are going to win today. As sure as the sun comes up tomorrow, as sure as Arod is overpaid, as sure as ketchup on hotdogs is disgusting... The Giants WILL win. Book it. Bet on it. Breathe it in. Believe it. It's over.

Giants win today.

Your reverse-jinx wont work in IRC or on GAF. Reds will win. Book it.

I was a fool. I just stood by as 7 Giants fans cast reverse jinx after reverse jinx after the first two games. No more.

Giants win so bad, the Cincinnati Reds franchise is disbanded; their records burned. In time, one may tell a tale about a mythical franchise in Cincinnati, but most will dismiss it as a fairytale. Giants win. Book it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I was a fool. I just stood by as 7 Giants fans cast reverse jinx after reverse jinx after the first two games. No more.

Giants win so bad, the Cincinnati Reds franchise is disbanded; their records burned. In time, one may tell a tale about a mythical franchise in Cincinnati, but most will dismiss it as a fairytale. Giants win. Book it.
no. book it.

So, anybody missing work today? Lol

Thought about it. Instead I'm actually at work with plans to listen to the game. Since the TBS announcers are trash, I don't mind. My ears get to listen to the sweet, evocative vocal chords of Kruk, Kuip, Fleming and Jon Miller instead. WIN!

see5harp

Yes. Book that, and put it in the Library of Congress in a vault.

I'm pretty sure that the Reds can't keep stranding runners though. This will be the game the Reds awaken from their slumber and put 10 runs on the board. With that bullpen and defense, the Reds are really unstoppable.

I'm pretty sure that the Reds can't keep stranding runners though. This will be the game the Reds awaken from their slumber and put 10 runs on the board. With that bullpen and defense, the Reds are really unstoppable.

Maybe so... but Tim Lincecum pitched so well that many of the Reds players are complaining about vertigo and hearing issues. It's wrecked them. Not only as baseball players, but as men. Giants win by 10. Posey hits 3 home runs.

Oh, and this will likely be the last game in Dusty's career. His contract is up and with his stroke, I don't see any teams taking a chance on him.

see5harp

Maybe so... but Tim Lincecum pitched so well that many of the Reds players are complaining about vertigo and hearing issues. It's wrecked them. Not only as baseball players, but as men. Giants win by 10. Posey hits 3 home runs.

The Reds have had Matt Cain's number all year. It's hard to imagine a team that hits Matt Cain as well as the Reds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds hit double digit runs in the first few innings and rest Latos. If they play the way it looks now, hell he might be resting by the 3rd inning, ready for Game 1 of the next series.

The Reds have had Matt Cain's number all year. It's hard to imagine a team that hits Matt Cain as well as the Reds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds hit double digit runs in the first few innings and rest Latos. If they play the way it looks now, hell he might be resting by the 3rd inning, ready for Game 1 of the next series.

Shit, from what I'm hearing, the Reds might not even show up today. So sure of their loss, many have turned to new careers, or have decided that having seen the face of death with Tim Lincecum's pitching, they have been reminded of the ephemeral nature of life and wish to spend their remaining days with their families, many of which have abandoned their patriarch out of shame and humiliation.

Top Bottom