• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm cool with giving up Broxton for those two Reds prospects. Brox was only signed for the rest of the year anyway, and we'll probably get Soria back sometime next year. Plus, it's not like we're in it this year anymore.

Rangers announce Roy Oswalt is being moved to the bullpen after acquiring Ryan Dempster.

Well, I'm cool with giving up Broxton for those two Reds prospects. Brox was only signed for the rest of the year anyway, and we'll probably get Soria back sometime next year. Plus, it's not like we're in it this year anymore.

Soria is a FA after this season.

EDIT: seems he has 2013 and 2014 options for $8M and $8.75M.

Good Luck with that.

I'm really disappointed. How could the Phillies go from 102 wins to this? :( How are they going to fix this mess? Sign Bourn in the off season?

Everyone saw this coming, just not so soon. Phillies had no shelf life and were designed to be horrible once the big pieces started regressing with no one to replace them.

Askani

I don't think it's that bad. I liked Broxton, but sometimes his favorite hobby seemed to be getting called in for a save and putting 2-3 guys on base and then getting down 3-0 in the count before trying to get guys out.

Fixed that for you.

Oh no, we're in it "two years from now"! Problem is, that statement never gets updated :(

Looks like we actually hold an $8m option to resign Soria (that would be up two from the
$6m he currently gets on the DL). So... I dunno. This IS his second TJ.

JABEE

Just a bad year brah! Get some pieces in the offseason and they'll be back in it next year!

I hope you're not being sarcastic. They need Howard, Utley, Lee and Halladay to bounce back next season and get healthy. Add a CF like Bourn and look to trade for a 3B. Hope Dom Brown has improved since last season.

Good Luck with that.

I'm really disappointed. How could the Phillies go from 102 wins to this? :( How are they going to fix this mess? Sign Bourn in the off season?

They will fix it easy. Howard and Utley for the full year next year. Doc will be healthy and Cliff will get things straightened out in the offseason. The bullpen will be much better, and they have a ton of money to spend in the offseason. This is a 1 year abberation and nothing more. The Phillies are going to do what the Yankees do when they need to retool, they will spend their way out of this.

Edit: No way do they sign Bourn, Boars wants a huge contract for him. They will sign Hamilton though.

rekameohs

Banned
They will fix it easy. Howard and Utley for the full year next year. Doc will be healthy and Cliff will get things straightened out in the offseason. The bullpen will be much better, and they have a ton of money to spend in the offseason. This is a 1 year abberation and nothing more. The Phillies are going to do what the Yankees do when they need to retool, they will spend their way out of this.

Edit: No way do they sign Bourn, Boars wants a huge contract for him. They will sign Hamilton though.

5 Stages of Grief imminent. First is denial.

eznark

Banned
So what's MLB-Gaf's take on breakfast hot dogs?

2yYz8.jpg

http://dudefoods.com/breakfast-hot-dogs/

Neuske's is good no matter what time of day!

JABEE

How much is Hamilton going to cost? I don't know what direction the Phillies are going to go. I'm worried that Howard, Utley, Rollins, Halladay, and Lee will never reach their peaks again.

How much is Hamilton going to cost? I don't know what direction the Phillies are going to go. I'm worried that Howard, Utley, Rollins, Halladay, and Lee will never reach their peaks again.

6 years $120m or so. Utley looks good this year, he wont be the as good as his peak but that is fine. If Howard can back to last year that will be fine. Rollins is done he wont do anything ever again. Doc I have no idea but I know he will work hard, and Cliff has had a lot of bad luck I am most confident he will bounce back.

jman2050

The Phillies are not the Yankees and if they're operating under that assumption then they will suck for a long time from here on out.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Because I'd rather have him back Alvarez at 3B, or even DFA him. Anything is better than trading him to the Yankees for fucking Qualls + cash. Hell, we could have just waited and gotten Qualls on waivers in a week....

I'm just mad that we've basically moved passed the dead line equal or worse to where we were before it, probably a tad bit worse considering we traded away our best bullpen player and failed to replace him. With the exception of the Wandy trade, we've pretty much made moves for the future, that may or may not help us this season or even in the future.

NH succeeded in not touching any of his prospects. He better hope a few of them amount to something decent.

I think the Pirates are a better team right now. They didn't land that big fish, but they improved the team for this season and next.

Gaby Sanchez>Casey McGehee
Travis Snider>Drew Sutton, Gorkys Hernandez, Alex Presley
Wandy Rodriguez>Kevin Correia (and maybe Correia>Bedard or JMac going down the stretch, so it was wise to hold on to him)

Losing Lincoln obviously hurts the bullpen. Still, Grilli and Hanrahan are still there in the backend and Jared Hughes and Chris Resop have both pitched well of late. Bryan Morris, Justin Wilson, and even Evan Meek could all get a chance at some point during the next two months.

Qualls is a head scratcher. Innings eater, I guess.

I've got another question following on from my newbie questions the other week. Has anyone here got the MLB premium season pass so you can watch the games on a P.C, 360 etc? (I'm guessing many of you will have)

I wondered of there was a best timeframe with which to but the season pass? Looking on Google, it says the season normally starts in March and finished in Oct? So if I bought a season pass now it would be a bit of a waste?

Strangely, I emailed the MLB website and asked them about this, but the only reply I received was asking me to phone them on an international number (I'm in the U.K) so they could assist me further. Obviously I don't really want to do that - what with it being a seemingly straight forward question as well.

So does the pass run from the start of season until the end? Or does it run for 12 months and so it doesn't really matter when you buy it as you get a full season covered in that anyway? Thanks.

zulux21

I've got another question following on from my newbie questions the other week. Has anyone here got the MLB premium season pass so you can watch the games on a P.C, 360 etc? (I'm guessing many of you will have)

I wondered of there was a best timeframe with which to but the season pass? Looking on Google, it says the season normally starts in March and finished in Oct? So if I bought a season pass now it would be a bit of a waste?

Strangely, I emailed the MLB website and asked them about this, but the only reply I received was asking me to phone them on an international number (I'm in the U.K) so they could assist me further. Obviously I don't really want to do that - what with it being a seemingly straight forward question as well.

So does the pass run from the start of season until the end? Or does it run for 12 months and so it doesn't really matter when you buy it as you get a full season covered in that anyway? Thanks.

the pass runs until feb 28th or so regardless when you buy it... that being said the price goes down as the season progresses... the next price drop for mlb.tv should be in the next few days as they drop it on a monthly basis.

last year if you watched some of the free games they sent out emails around this time to buy the rest of the season at the cost of a month.

harSon

Banned
I think the Pirates are a better team right now. They didn't land that big fish, but they improved the team for this season and next.

Gaby Sanchez>Casey McGehee
Travis Snider>Drew Sutton, Gorkys Hernandez, Alex Presley
Wandy Rodriguez>Kevin Correia (and maybe Correia>Bedard or JMac going down the stretch, so it was wise to hold on to him)

Losing Lincoln obviously hurts the bullpen. Still, Grilli and Hanrahan are still there in the backend and Jared Hughes and Chris Resop have both pitched well of late. Bryan Morris, Justin Wilson, and even Evan Meek could all get a chance at some point during the next two months.

Qualls is a head scratcher. Innings eater, I guess.

Gaby Sanchez is better that McGehee over his career, but career doesn't mean anything right now. Maybe he's having an off season, or maybe he just needed a change of scenery, whatever it is, as it stands now, Sanchez is at best, equal to McGehee right now.

Snider has a ton of upside, and maybe the Blue Jays hurt his growth by bringing him up early, or consistently calling him up and sending him down instead of letting him learn. Whatever it is, he's currently an AAAA player with a ton of upside and little more till he proves otherwise over the long term. Sutton and Presley are nothing to write home about, but they've proven to be somewhat serviceable at an MLB level. I'm definitely not knocking this trade, because it has the potential to pan out over the long term, but I definitely don't think it's going to help us make a run this season unless he magically begins to click the minute he puts on a Pirate's uniform.

I have absolutely no issue with the Wandy trade. He's a serviceable pitcher, and we're keeping him past this season. And his acquisition will help to soften McDonald's funk.

My problem with the Lincoln trade is the fact that he was our best bullpen player, and we did absolutely nothing to fill that void. This is worrying considering our pitching in general, with the exception of AJ Burnett, has been mediocre since the All-Star break... thanks in great part to McDonald. We're ranked 19th in batting since the All-Star break, and this is against the Brewers, Cubs, Marlins and Astros. Our bats have definitely cooled off, and while they're certainly still better than they were before our hot streak, we're unfortunately ranked 17th in pitching since the All-Star break. We can't be middling in both, against sub par teams no less, and expect to be competitive.

We desperately needed to sure up our hitting. We needed someone to bat after McCutchen and take the pressure off him. Pitchers have basically been pitching around him as of late. This would have allowed us to put Walker back into the 2 spot which he seems to be a lot more successful within.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom