• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
selig has once again said he will retire, this time after 2014.

Sadly he is undead and will never retire.

Windu

9rtf3.gif

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index....campaign=Feed:+NotGraphs+(NotGraphs+Baseball)

Ken Rosenthal is posting a rumor that before the trade deadline the Mets and the Marlins were actually discussing a trade that would send Heath Bell to the Mets for Jason Bay.

Bell has 2 more years at $18 total, while Bay has 1 more year at 16 million.

if this is true WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS DEAL??

Windu

Ken Rosenthal is posting a rumor that before the trade deadline the Mets and the Marlins were actually discussing a trade that would send Heath Bell to the Mets for Jason Bay.

Bell has 2 more years at $18 total, while Bay has 1 more year at 16 million.

if this is true WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS DEAL??
i'd rather have bay for one year than bell for two.

i'd rather have bay for one year than bell for two.
Windu. I want you to listen. We've had out discussions/arguments over the last 5 years, but I am being completely honest and serious with you.

A reliever is never really consistent, and they'll have up and down years. Sometimes it's based off their stuff, sometimes confidence, and sometimes the environment/pitching coach matters. With Heath Bell forget his previously dominant years; there's a decent chance on a new team Heath Bell can be a respectable closer, if not a respectable reliever.

There is no chance Jason Bay will ever resemble a major league player again. He is done, even HE knows it and has said so in interviews. I have never seen a player regress w/o some injury like he has. He doesn't even embody the Three True Outcomes, there only one with him: FAILURE! Steroids won't help him. HGH Blood won't help him. A corked bat won't even help him. HE IS DONE. DONE. IT'S OVER.

I only hope that Bell passes through waivers so that they could explore the trade this month.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken_Rosenthal
Sources: #Mets and #Marlins discussed trade of Jason Bay for Heath Bell and John Buck before deadline.

I wonder who said no.

edit: dammit didnt see Frankman's post before. Oh well.

Windu

Windu. I want you to listen. We've had out discussions/arguments over the last 5 years, but I am being completely honest and serious with you.

A reliever is never really consistent, and they'll have up and down years. Sometimes it's based off their stuff, sometimes confidence, and sometimes the environment/pitching coach matters. With Heath Bell forget his previously dominant years; there's a decent chance on a new team Heath Bell can be a respectable closer, if not a respectable reliever.

There is no chance Jason Bay will ever resemble a major league player again. He is done, even HE knows it and has said so in interviews. I have never seen a player regress w/o some injury like he has. He doesn't even embody the Three True Outcomes, there only one with him: FAILURE! Steroids won't help him. HGH Blood won't help him. A corked bat won't even help him. HE IS DONE. DONE. IT'S OVER.

I only hope that Bell passes through waivers so that they could explore the trade this month.
yeah bell is the better player but i would want to get out of both of those contracts as soon as possible so i would choose Bay. If i were the mets i would want that extra money in 2014 when they might be more competitive.

Honestly, i would just release Bay.

Im with ya Frank. Bays deadweight. It sucks cuz the guy does go hard everyday, crashing into walls left and right. Bell can still regain effectiveness atleast. Bay has tried and failed for the last three years.

Windu

Looks like Bay's 2014 option is guaranteed with 600 PAs in 2013 or 500 PA in both 2012 and 2013. He'll be gone by Spring Training, either released or traded. No way the mets let him get those PAs.

yeah bell is the better player but i would want to get out of both of those contracts as soon as possible so i would choose Bay. If i were the mets i would want that extra money in 2014 when they might be more competitive.

Honestly, i would just release Bay.
Bay is a net negative as a whole. If you can flip him for anyone's trash do it, but Heath Bell isn't even trash to me. If Mets can get Bell back to pitching effectively just as a setup man, they're filled a gaping hole on their team. That pushes Parnell to the 7th (dude can't handle pressure), Frank Frank would close (for now). Rauch/Edgin/Byrdak can also work from the 7th/8th.
Looks like Bay's 2014 option is guaranteed with 600 PAs in 2013 or 500 PA in both 2012 and 2013. He'll be gone by Spring Training, either released or traded. No way the mets let him get those PAs.
Cut him and eat the money? Hell no.

rekameohs

Banned
In this series:

Game 1 - 3 run homer then a grand slam
Game 2 - 2 run homer then a 3 run homer
Game 3 - 1 run homer then a 2 run homer

Yeah, beat the piss outta them Doyers

Details on Hamels' 6-year, $144 million deal with the Phillies:

2013: $19.5 million
2014: $22.5 million
2015: $22.5 million
2016: $22.5 million
2017: $22.5 million
2018: $22.5 million

-- 7th year, 2019 club option worth $20. If Hamels makes it vest automatically, it becomes $24 million.
-- $6 million signing bonus
-- 2019 option has a $6 million buyout
-- No deffered money

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rays win!

A's suck!

Rays went on a 9 game road trip against 3 teams with records above .500 and won all 3 series. First time they did that in franchise history!

Pirates should trade McCutchen to the Braves for nothing like they did with McLouth in 2009. If the players held a candle-light vigil for McLouth, imagine how they'd mourn the loss of McCutchen.

aFIGurANT

Would love for the Tigers to win tonight, but with Porcelain on the mound..ehh.

Something has to give in Detroit though, eventually. They were so...not-sub-par at the start of the season too.

So since I am not able to keep track of this shit and need the assurance of everyone else telling me to buy now!! - is the 49.99 for mlb.tv now discounted from yesterday? Or do I need to wait a few days to save ten bucks or something? Cuz yeah the premium is at 50 bucks and the other is at 40 as of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom