• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
oLxfy.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I haven't really seen too many of their games, why are they lucky? 70-43, that's pretty damn impressive

EDIT: Yeah, so Jaso is easily the best hitter on this damn team

I mentioned it a day or two ago, but a lot of their roster took huge unexpected leaps forward (hey Gio, what's up) mixed with a lack of key injuries and day to day shit like this last inning of theirs, or what the Astros did a few days ago.

One of the luckiest damn teams I have ever seen.

Pff, we've been missing major players at any point during the year. Morse+Storen, Werth just came back, Desmond has been out for a few weeks now coming back soon. The key has been our farm system, with Lombo and Moore and Harper all contributing more than they have any right to.

Edit: And there's another

I haven't really seen too many of their games, why are they lucky? 70-43, that's pretty damn impressive

EDIT: Yeah, so Jaso is easily the best hitter on this damn team

If the last week or two has been any indication, teams they play turn totally incompetent against them.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Pff, we've been missing major players at any point during the year. Morse+Storen, Werth just came back, Desmond has been out for a few weeks now coming back soon. The key has been our farm system, with Lombo and Moore and Harper all contributing more than they have any right to.

Edit: And there's another

I think actually the key has been Gio Gonzalez magically turning into one of the best pitchers in baseball, Strasburg staying healthy, and Zimmermann and Detwiler both having ERAs almost a full run lower than their FIPs.

And Harper has been decent. A 103 wRC+ is nothing to scoff at, especially for a 19 year old. But in itself, it's not that much of a contribution.

Windu

I think actually the key has been Gio Gonzalez magically turning into one of the best pitchers in baseball, Strasburg staying healthy, and Zimmermann and Detwiler both having ERAs almost a full run lower than their FIPs.

And Harper has been decent. A 103 wRC+ is nothing to scoff at, especially for a 19 year old. But in itself, it's not that much of a contribution.
Ian Desmond, Gio, Bernadina, Zimmermann, and Detwiller i'd say have been the surprises. Detwiller is pitching way over his head as well as Zimmermann although he always had potential. Oh course then you have players like Zimmerman who is under performing, although the past few weeks he has picked it up. I knew they would be a 85-90 win team, but not a 95-100 win team. boothisman.gif

(it would have been nice if the braves starting staff didn't turn to shit too)

Fintan

I was a bit confused by some of the terms used, and it didn't seem like the best game, but I'm definitely going to keep watching. Seems like teams on a pretty regular basis so I shouldn't have a problem finding something to watch.

cashman

Banned
I was a bit confused by some of the terms used, and it didn't seem like the best game, but I'm definitely going to keep watching. Seems like teams on a pretty regular basis so I shouldn't have a problem finding something to watch.

which terms were confusing to you?

Windu

he isn't throwing his changeup anymore, although he never really threw it much in the first place. Think he just mainly throws various fastballs with different movement and a few curveballs now. Velocity going down probably had something to do with his shittyness.

Fintan

which terms were confusing to you?

Just a few of the acronyms, but I looked them up. It also took me a second to get that 500 meant 50%. Coming from Ireland, I've never really encountered a sport that was so sort of stat based. Actually, only exposure to anything like baseball was playing rounders as a kid.

cashman

Banned
Just a few of the acronyms, but I looked them up. It also took me a second to get that 500 meant 50%. Coming from Ireland, I've never really encountered a sport that was so sort of stat based. Actually, only exposure to anything like baseball was playing rounders as a kid.

Yeah, typically in american sports winning percentages are measured out of 1000. If you need any questions answered about what the stats mean and how to interpret them, just feel free to ask here!

Fintan

Yeah, typically in american sports winning percentages are measured out of 1000. If you need any questions answered about what the stats mean and how to interpret them, just feel free to ask here!

Cool, Nationals against the Diamondbacks is what's on TV here tomorrow night. Washington seem like the in-form team, so hopefully that should be good.

cashman

Banned
So at 102 pitches and with two outs and nobody out in the 8th Ron Washington pulls Holland for Ogando
in order to face Gerald fucking Laird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom