• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Would be great if the Tigers would start losing so we could pull away a bit.

aug 31st - sept 2nd... we just need to make them lose... when they have had our number in the second half this year and last, while they are at home where they play much better ball...

Hawk "It's not who you play it's when you play them"

:p

cashman

Banned
Beltre is a Grade A P.O.S.

I can't tell you how much I wish he had lost his dick to an unlucky line drive.

beltre082412.gif

He will be wearing a Texas Rangers cap in the hall of fame.

STANDINGS UPDATE FOR AUGUST 24

-- Yankees lead over the Rays in the AL East increased to 3.5 games
-- Yankees lead over the Orioles in the AL East remained at 5.0 games

-- White Sox lead over the Tigers in the AL Central increased to 2.5 games

-- Rangers lead over the Athletics in the AL West remained at 6.0 games

-- Rays lead over Athletics/Orioles in AL Wild Card #1 decreased to 1.5 games
-- Athletics and Orioles remain tied for AL Wild Card #2
-- Athletics/Orioles lead over Tigers in AL Wild Card #2 increased to 1.0 game
-- Athletics/Orioles lead over Angels in AL Wild Card #2 remained at 2.5 games

-- Nationals lead over Braves in NL East remained at 6.5 games

-- Reds lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central decreased to 6.0 games

-- Giants lead over the Dodgers in the NL West remained at 3.0 games

-- Braves lead over the Cardinals in NL Wild Card #1 decreased to 1.5 games
-- Cardinals lead over Dodgers in NL Wild Card #2 remained at 1.5 games
-- Cardinals lead over Pirates in NL Wild Card #2 increased to 2.0 games
-- Cardinals lead over the Diamondbacks in NL Wild Card #2 increased to 5.5 games

Remaining games:
Yankees - 37 (19 away, 18 home, 3 off-days / 15 vs. +.500)
White Sox - 38 (19 away, 19 home, 2 off-days / 18 vs. +.500)
Rangers - 37 (19 away, 18 home, 3 off-days / 19 vs. +.500)
Rays - 36 (19 away, 17 home, 4 off-days / 23 vs. +.500)
Athletics - 37 (23 away, 14 home, 3 off-days / 24 vs. +.500)
Orioles - 37 (18 away, 18 home, 3 off-days / 20 vs. +.500)
Tigers - 37 (19 away, 18 home, 3 off-days / 15 vs. +.500)
Angels - 36 (17 away, 19 home, 4 off-days / 21 vs. +.500)

Nationals - 37 (16 away, 21 home, 3 off-days / 13 vs. +.500)
Reds - 35 (19 away, 16 home, 5 off-days / 17 vs. +.500)
Giants - 36 (18 away, 18 home, 4 off-days / 17 vs. +.500)
Braves - 36 (20 away, 16 home, 4 off-days / 8 vs. +.500)
Cardinals - 37 (22 away, 15 home, 3 off-days / 19 vs. +.500)
Dodgers - 36 (17 away, 19 home, 4 off-days / 22 vs. +.500)
Pirates - 37 (17 away, 20 home, 3 off-days / 12 vs. +.500)
Diamondbacks - 36 (17 away, 19 home, 4 off-days / 18 vs. +.500)

I love waking up and reading about batshit crazy waiver trades.

I'm so happy the Dodgers have new owners. Makes things much more interesting.

Drek

So Crawford and Gonzalez will end up being 2 of the biggest free agent bust in Red Sox history.

1. Gonzalez wasn't a free agent.

2. I'd say in order to qualify as being huge busts the Sox would have needed to be saddled with the contracts long term. Otherwise they pale in comparison to the damage done by things like the Renteria signing, Lackey (who has been worse than replacement level), etc. where the Sox tied themselves up financially for guys who couldn't produce and couldn't be moved at any point.

3. This is basically swapping Rizzo, Kelly, and Fuentes for De La Rosa, Webster, Sands, and De Jesus, with a 1.5 year gap where the Sox were trying to make one last veteran fueled push. Being able to throw a quarter billion dollars out one off-season to make a hard push at the tail end of a window and then somehow make those quarter billion dollar commitments disappear and bring back comparable prospects is amazing.

So excuse the dumb question. How can this trade go through after the trade deadline? Every player from both sides has to clear waivers? What about the minor leaguers? I know trades happen after the deadline, but they aren't usually blockbusters like this.

Puddles

Banned
Thinking over it further, I kind of like this trade. It makes us non-players in free agency, but unless we were signing Josh Hamilton, I don't think that's a huge issue with this year's free agent class, especially after Cole Hamels signed an extension.

The lineup is undeniably better, and we get rid of our biggest weakness. With Cruz doing well at 3B, the lineup doesn't really have a weakness, actually. Neither Ellis is a fearsome hitter, but both are good OBP guys, and Kemp, A-Gon, Hanley, and Ethier are a formidable core.

I still hate acquiring Crawford. If he were a 2B, SS, or 3B putting up those numbers, that would be one thing, but he's an OF with a career-high .852 OPS who got overpaid for his speed. At 31, his fastest days are behind him, and he'll be 36 before he comes off the books. But it's the owners' money. If they want to pay him to sit on the bench, that's fine, as long as they're willing to spend more to improve the team if necessary.

This deal will look terrible if the prospects turn out to be elite players, but the list of highly regarded prospects who amounted to jackshit is longer than my... well, it's long.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Comment about Mike Francessa on TheGangGreen:

Francesa has without tongue in cheek given tips to NBA players on how to play defense ("Meller"), lectured NFL GM's on player personnel strategies ("Mr. T"), and informed world series champion mlb managers on how to set their rotations (Torre). All this knowledge and yet he will ultimately be sent into the ground for failure to manage his cholesterol--which would merely take some more exercise and additional fish oil supplements. Wonderful Irony.

:jnc

eznark

Banned
Sure, you could, but then you'd be an idiot, and probably get benched the next day.

Sure, but that's like Ricky Davis shooting on his own hoop to get a rebound for a triple-double. Big time douche move.

Just wanted to chime in and say false, depending on the score/state of the game. It would obviously be late in the game (or the game would be well out of hand) and it is totally acceptable to trot to first on an extra base hit if it completes the cycle. "The book" thinking is that you don't get any statistical recognition for two doubles a triple and a home run so as long as it doesn't cost your team anything take the cycle.

source - Jeff Cirillo spring training 2007

jbug617

Banned
Ellsbury will be the next to go in the offseason. He wants to test free agency and the Red Sox feel he doesn't want to sign long term with them.

SMEAR CAMPAIGN BEGINS

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...ez-crawford/S0ZiybrrzbshA92QDWupQO/story.html

boston is the worst place in america (after every place in the south)

Why would anyone willingly go to the Red Sox? You know that you're signing up for constant attacks in a toxic media environment, and that as soon as you leave/get run out of town, they'll run a smear campaign against you. When was the last time anyone left that didn't get their name dragged through the mud right away? I mean, the truckfuls of money they can offer would obviously be enticing, but it doesn't seem like the most desirable place to play.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseb...haikin-dodgers-trade-20120825,0,1791255.story

Here's the scorecard on the Dodgers' new owners, all without benefit of an off-season: a contract extension for Andre Ethier, the signing of Cuban prospect Yasiel Puig, trades for Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, Joe Blanton, Brandon League and Randy Choate, and the pending trade with the Boston Red Sox for Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto.

Total cost: $432 million. Sale price in 2004, when Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers: $421 million.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
"Hopefully this deal will go through today," Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said Saturday morning. "If it falls into place, the deal sheds us from tens of millions of dollars of long-term commitments. It gets us great prospects who will improve our major league roster as soon as next year. It brings us a player in James Loney who was 'untouchable' a couple of years ago. It allows us to start over with free agents. We want to win for our fans and we now have huge financial flexibility to improve the team."

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom