• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was all three, Wright took way too much time fielding it. Even if Wright made a good throw he doesn't get Mayberry because he took too much time.

Who has been on Howard this year? He has done pretty much nothing but that is what everyone expected. He wont be healthy until the year is over.

Hey Niese, if you call for the ball you gotta catch it. Simple.
Who has been on Howard this year? He has done pretty much nothing but that is what everyone expected. He wont be healthy until the year is over.
You missed The Great Ryan Howard Fellation that happened here like a month ago as he was coming back.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
We don't have anyone else. Guess we could bring back Erasmo ... but he really isn't all that special either.

My god did Danny Hultzen disappoint me in AAA.

Remember at the beginning of the season when you were all excited about your big 3 pitching prospects and you got mad when I said they were going to break? Well, told you so.

Macattk15

Remember at the beginning of the season when you were all excited about your big 3 pitching prospects and you got mad when I said they were going to break? Well, told you so.

Paxton had a good season, knee injury not withstanding.

Hultzen was disgusting at AA, imploded at AAA. I think he is trying to strike too many people out as evidenced by his high K/9.

Walker had a great start to the season, but I don't think he has the stamina to pitch a full season yet ... he's also pretty damn young.

Doubt you'll see Walker or Paxton fall too far if at all on many prospect lists .... Hultzen certainly will. Zunino will leapfrog him easily imo.

Stop making me sad. LET ME HAVE SOME NICE THINGS.

rando14

Kicking Mariners fans who have been down for years, huh? :(

edit: lololol willingham

Wow, a rare low scoring game in this park. Mets have been dancing in and out of getting crooked numbers put up on them seemingly the last 3-4 innings.

Chuck

Still without luck
O's cut it close at the end there, but that's 3 out of 4 from the division leading White Sox.

Now on to a very important weekend series with the Yankees. Let's go O's!

I'd love to see Robert Carson in the mix as a 2nd lefty in the pen next year along with Josh Edgin. The guy throws hard and has a nice slider/curve.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pap signing was fine. Really. It's worked out as well as it could have. It was an overpay but the Phillies can pay it and he's not the reason the season went to shit. Charlie refusing to use Papelbon in non-save situations cost them so many games this year.

Mets paid Frank Francisco + Jon Rauch + Ramon Ramirez more money than Paps is making this year.

Hard to argue that the Mets season wouldn't have been drastically different if they paid big for Papelbon and took a smart, cheap approach with other bullpen arms.

Sanjuro

Pap signing was fine. Really. It's worked out as well as it could have.

Mets paid Frank Francisco + Jon Rauch + Ramon Ramirez more money than Paps is making this year.

Hard to argue that the Mets season wouldn't have been drastically different if they paid big for Papelbon and took a smart, cheap approach with other bullpen arms.

He is making close to $3 million this season. Christ.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Papelbon is a great reliever and while you need to account for the higher leverage innings when looking at his salary, I still think 13 mil per is too much. Still a better signing than Howard, then again what isn't?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Joe Mauer is still a pretty decent player. For now anyway. Still plenty of time for that contract to get real ugly.

Ryan Howard is one of the worst contracts ever. It was inexplicable then and its even worse now.

I'm not arguing that the Papelbon signing was great - you're still paying a shitload for not that many innings. But if I was a fan of a big market team (evidently the Mets decided to stop being one) I'd rather see that than a team paying a bunch of middling middle relievers to the same kind of dollar figure.

Bullpens are always a crap shoot though. It's pretty amazing watching the Rays find gems year after year, Fernando Rodney is one of the weirdest comebacks ever (I mean its gotta be roids right?). JP Howell went from awful trash who should have been DFA'd to a good reliever again.

Fenix

yeah, howard is worse than those.
I'm sure you already know this, but the average WAR came somewhat as a shock to me:

Over the last 5 years (2008-2012 inclusive), Howard has been worth 1.3 wins on average, each year. These are his age 28-32 seasons and generally that age range tends to coincide with a ballplayer's peak years. He is very likely entering his decline years.

Over the next 5 years (2013-2017), Howard is owed at least 105 million dollars.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom