• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizza

I don't think I've ever seen a team have as great of a starting pitching staff, and at the same time the worst relievers as the Brewers.

"But he was hurt last year, so obviously he's washed up, and the contract is an albatross!" -Minnesota sports fans.
I don't follow the Twins at all so this is a serious question. How much longer do you think Mauer can stay behind the plate on a regular basis? He seems to have gotten more and more time at 1B in the past two years.

If the value of a win is still around $5 million on the open market, Mauer has to average over 4 WAR/year over the rest of his contract. Even if he maintains his ~130ish wRC+ and sticks at C, it doesn't seem likely for him to reach that threshold (much less provide surplus value) if you factor in aging and injury risk.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I don't follow the Twins at all so this is a serious question. How much longer do you think Mauer can stay behind the plate on a regular basis? He seems to have gotten more and more time at 1B in the past two years.

If the value of a win is still around $5 million on the open market, Mauer has to average over 4 WAR/year over the rest of his contract. Even if he maintains his ~130ish wRC+ and sticks at C, it doesn't seem likely for him to reach that threshold (much less provide surplus value) if you factor in aging and injury risk.
Define regular basis, I suppose. This year he's started 62 games behind the plate, 25 at first, and 33 as DH. He's on pace to play the most games in his career, and he should end up around a 5 win player this year with that ratio of positions. As he's just coming back from injury, and they have a decent back up catcher with the bat (Doumit) this year, I think that's lead to him starting less games at catcher. I think he can probably catch between 75-85 games a year for a few more years. Next year's workload will be interesting as he'll be another year away from the injury plagued 2011, so maybe he'll play more behind the plate?

I'm thinking the contract is a slight overpay now, and might end up being a $5-8 million overpay near the end (assuming the value at $5 million). But he's already provided the Twins with $86 million in surplus value in his career, so I won't feel too bad for ownership if they overpay him a bit on the tail end of this contract.

It's interesting that his OPS as a catcher is almost 200 points higher than as a 1B or DH.

So Jimmy Rollins is in the doghouse again.

PHILADELPHIA -- Jimmy Rollins' latest jog toward first earned him a spot where he won't have to hustle.

On the bench.

Rollins was benched after a pair of baserunning blunders Thursday in Philadelphia's 3-2 win over the New York Mets. It was the second time in two weeks the 2007 NL MVP was scolded for not hustling on the basepaths.

Rollins was pulled for the start of the seventh inning after a pair of mistakes in the sixth.

He failed to run hard on a dropped popup that could have put him on second base. He stole second base, then was caught in a rundown on a grounder and was tagged out.

Rollins drew the ire of Phillies fans earlier this month when he jogged down the line on a grounder in a game at Milwaukee. He met privately with manager Charlie Manuel the next day. Manuel refused to bench his All-Star shortstop then. He had no hesitation against the Mets.

Has any player ever produced less per dollar then Crawford?

I did a quick scan of Baseball Reference, and I found a few players who were a little worse:
- Darren Dreifort: $55m for 0 bWAR
- Chone Figgins: $27m (and counting) for -1.6 bWAR
- Andruw Jones: $36m for -1.7 bWAR, plus the Dodgers ate more than half by releasing him rather than having him play the second year of the contract

Crawford could obviously wind up a lot worse than those, especially if he starts producing negative WAR over the latter half of the contract.

Edit: almost forgot about Mike Hampton: 8 years, $121m...1 bWAR.

Sanjuro

I just realized how heartbreaking this season can be. Imagining Baltimore/Pittsburgh getting the top WC spot, losing in the single game playoff.

Rafael Furcal tore his UCL and needs TJ surgery. Out for the season.
Just when you think things can't get any worse, there's a swift a kick in the nuts waiting in the wings. Time to see what Descalso can do at SS full time.

Position players recover more quickly after TJ, right? Though I wonder if that's much of a difference for a position player that has to do a lot of throwing like a SS.

Just when you think things can't get any worse, there's a swift a kick in the nuts waiting in the wings. Time to see what Descalso can do at SS full time.

Position players recover more quickly after TJ, right? Though I wonder if that's much of a difference for a position player that has to do a lot of throwing like a SS.

Recovery time for a position player is usually about 6 months.

How about you tell that scrub Beltran to start hitting again?

STANDINGS UPDATE FOR AUGUST 30

IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:

AL Wild Card Game: Orioles @ Athletics

NL Wild Card Game: Cardinals @ Braves

ALDS Game 1: Rangers @ Athletics -OR- Orioles
ALDS Game 1: White Sox @ Yankees

NLDS Game 1: Reds @ Braves -OR- Cardinals
NLDS Game 1: Giants @ Nationals

American League

EAST

LEADER: Yankees
MAGIC NUMBER: 30
Code:
             W         L         PCT         GB
Yankees      75        55       .577         ---
Orioles      72        58       .554         3.0 (+0.5)
Rays         71        60       .542         4.5 (-0.5)

CENTRAL

LEADER: White Sox
MAGIC NUMBER: 30
Code:
White Sox    72        58        .554        ---
Tigers       69        61        .531        3.0

WEST

LEADER: Rangers
MAGIC NUMBER: 29
Code:
Rangers      77        53        .592        ---
Athletics    73        57        .562        4.0 (+0.5)
Angels       69        62        .527        8.5 (+0.5)

WILD CARD

LEADER #1: Athletics
LEADER #2: Orioles
MAGIC NUMBER: 31
Code:
Athletics    73        57        .562        ---
Orioles      72        58        .554        ---
Rays         71        60        .542        1.5 (-1.0)
Tigers       69        61        .531        3.0 (-1.0)
Angels       69        62        .527        3.5

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Rangers - 32 (3 @ CLE, 4 @ KC, 3 @ TB, OFF, 3 vs. CLE, 3 vs. SEA, OFF, 3 @ LAA, 3 @ SEA, 4 vs. OAK, 3 vs. LAA, 3 @ OAK)

Yankees - 32 (3 vs. BAL, 3 @ TB, 4 @ BAL, OFF, 3 @ BOS, 3 @ TB, OFF, 3 vs. TOR, 3 vs. OAK, 3 @ MIN, 4 @ TOR, 3 vs. BOS)

White Sox - 32 (3 @ DET, 3 vs. MIN, OFF, 3 vs. KC, 4 vs. DET, 3 @ MIN, OFF, 3 @ KC, 3 @ LAA, 3 vs. CLE, 4 vs. TB, 3 @ CLE)

Athletics - 32 (3 vs. BOS, 3 vs. LAA, OFF, 3 @ SEA, 4 @ LAA, 3 vs. BAL, OFF, 3 @ DET, 3 @ NYY, 4 @ TEX, 3 vs. SEA, 3 vs. TEX)

Orioles - 32 (3 @ NYY, 3 @ TOR, 4 vs. NYY, OFF, 3 vs. TOR, 3 @ OAK, 3 @ SEA, OFF, 3 @ BOS, 4 vs. TOR, OFF, 3 vs. BOS, 3 @ TB)

Rays - 31 (3 @ TOR, 3 vs. NYY, OFF, 3 vs. TEX, OFF, 3 @ BAL, 3 @ NYY, 4 vs. BOS, 3 vs. TOR, OFF, 2 @ BOS, 4 @ CWS, 3 vs. BOS)

Tigers - 32 (3 vs. CWS, 3 vs. CLE, OFF, 3 @ LAA, 4 @ CWS, 3 @ CLE, OFF, 3 vs. OAK, 3 vs. MIN, 4 vs. KC, 3 @ MIN, 3 @ KC)

Angels - 31 (3 @ SEA, OFF, 3 vs. DET, 4 vs. OAK, 3 @ KC, OFF, 3 vs. TEX, 3 vs. CWS, OFF, 3 vs. SEA, 3 @ TEX, 3 @ SEA)

National League

EAST

LEADER: Nationals
MAGIC NUMBER: 27
Code:
Nationals    79        51        .608        ---
Braves       74        57        .565        5.5 (-0.5)

CENTRAL

LEADER: Reds
MAGIC NUMBER: 23
Code:
Reds         80        52        .606        ---
Cardinals    71        60        .542        8.5 (-0.5)
Pirates      70        60        .538        9.0

WEST
LEADER: Giants
MAGIC NUMBER: 27
Code:
Giants       74        57        .565        ---
Dodgers      70        62        .530        4.5 (-1.0)

WILD CARD
LEADER #1: Braves
LEADER #2: Cardinals
MAGIC NUMBER: 32
Code:
Braves       74        57        .565        ---
Cardinals    71        60        .542        ---
Pirates      70        60        .538        0.5 (+0.5)
Dodgers      70        62        .530        1.5

REMAINING GAMES (bold = .500):
Reds - 30 (3 @ HOU, 3 vs. PHI, OFF, 3 vs. HOU, 3 vs. PIT, OFF, 3 @ MIA, OFF, 3 @ CHC, 3 vs. LAD, OFF, 3 vs. MIL, 3 @ PIT, 3 @ STL)

Nationals - 32 (3 vs. STL, 3 vs. CHC, 3 vs. MIA, 3 @ NYM, OFF, 3 @ ATL, OFF, 3 vs. LAD, 4 vs. MIL, 3 @ PHI, 3 @ STL, 3 vs. PHI)

Giants - 31 (3 @ CHC, 3 vs. ARI, OFF, 3 vs. LAD, 3 @ COL, OFF, 3 @ ARI, 4 vs. COL, 3 vs. SD, OFF, 3 vs. ARI, 3 @ SD, 3 @ LAD)

Braves - 31 (3 vs. PHI, 4 vs. COL, 3 @ NYM, 3 @ MIL, OFF, 3 vs. WAS, 3 @ MIA, OFF, 3 @ PHI, OFF, 3 vs. MIA, 3 vs. NYM, 3 @ PIT)

Cardinals - 31 (3 @ WAS, 3 vs. NYM, OFF, 3 vs. MIL, 3 @ SD, 4 @ LAD, OFF, 3 vs. HOU, 3 @ CHC, 3 @ HOU, OFF, 3 vs. WAS, 3 vs. CIN)

Pirates - 32 (3 @ MIL, 3 vs. HOU, OFF, 3 vs. CHC, 3 @ CIN, OFF, 4 @ CHC, 3 vs. MIL, 3 @ HOU, 4 @ NYM, 3 vs. CIN, 3 vs. ATL)

Dodgers - 30 (3 vs. ARI, 3 vs. SD, OFF, 3 @ SF, OFF, 2 @ ARI, 4 vs. STL, OFF, 3 @ WAS, 3 @ CIN, OFF, 3 @ SD, 3 vs. COL, 3 vs. SF)

Quick question for anyone watching games online.

I am using a netbook and the video screen is too big for the screen space I have. But I can't scroll the video player around inside it's own window, so it means the video controls are below the bottom of my screen if you see what I mean?

I'm using firefox and wondered if it might be different with I.E or Chrome? Or is it just the way the video player works? Thanks.

zulux21

Did The Tigers really get swept by the fucking Royals? *facepalm*

yup, and the Royals swept the white sox right before the white sox swept the yankees...

to be fair the royals aren't as bad as they seem to be, they have a lot of raw talent consistency is the issue they really have (and their pitching rarely gets it together lol)

Either way I am happy that KC got the tigers as well, not only does it make the Sox getting swept by KC not sting as bad, it also secured the fact that regardless what happens this weekend the white sox will be in first place... granted worst case they are tied... but still they can't be swept out of first which is always good for this time of year. I am hoping the white sox manage to take at least 1 from the tigers though.

should be a fun weekend for a number of contenders though
Tigers vs White sox (go sox)
Yankees vs Baltimore (go Baltimore)
and Nationals vs the cards (go nats)

The Pirates play 16 of their final 31 games against the Cubs and the Astros. Oy.

seems they are 6-3 vs cubs (3-3 since june)
and 9-2 against the astros, maybe there is hope for them yet :p

Math was off. It's 13 of the last 31. Still, that's more than 33% of your final schedule against the worst teams in baseball. The Pirates really have no excuse to not make the playoffs, although everyone in Pittsburgh should be thrilled that they're probably going to finally have their first winning season since 1992. The fact the Pirates are 0.5 back of a playoff spot on August 31 should be reason enough to have a parade.

zulux21

Math was off. It's 13 of the last 31. Still, that's more than 33% of your final schedule against the worst teams in baseball. The Pirates really have no excuse to not make the playoffs, although everyone in Pittsburgh should be thrilled that they're probably going to finally have their first winning season since 1992. The fact the Pirates are 0.5 back of a playoff spot on August 31 should be reason enough to have a parade.

at the rate things are going the indians will easily fall behind the cubs before the season is over

the indians are currently 55-76... at one point this season they were 50-49
since july 26th the indians have gone 5-27

the cubs were 40-57 at that time, the astros were 34-66
the cubs are 50-80 meaning they have gone 10-23 since then and the astros are 40-91 meaning they have gone 6-25 meaning the indians since july 26th have been the worst team in baseball lol

Another funny stat is that the Padres have the best record in the NL West if you start at June 2. If they got some offense and moved those goddamn fences in next year, they could be a really good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom