• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Bringing in Bobby V to Change Our Culture |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
Is there a chance of a repeat MVP? I know it may be a longshot but Braun trying hard to get some votes

It shouldn't be a longshot, he is pretty clearly the NL MVP at this point. McCutchen completely tanked and fell apart in August. He put up a .641 OPS (.605 over the last 14 games) when his team needed him most.

There isn't a chance in hell Braun wins again though. Probably fair, he didn't really deserve it last year.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So I believe I read a report saying that Lance Berkman is off the DL, but he isn't playing today. Which is good, if he can get extra rest, why not. Though we will need some extra offense in the future, let's just hope Kelly can pitch well enough today to give the rest of the team a bit less strain.

Also, boo Yankees! If we get the sweep we'll only be a half game out of first and it would be wonderful to see the Yankees and Red Sox not make the playoffs.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It shouldn't be a longshot, he is pretty clearly the NL MVP at this point. McCutchen completely tanked and fell apart in August. He put up a .641 OPS (.605 over the last 14 games) when his team needed him most.

There isn't a chance in hell Braun wins again though. Probably fair, he didn't really deserve it last year.
a lot can happen in a month, but right now i'd say he should be the front runner. not sure if voters will vote for him though.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
It does seem like NL MVP is the hardest one to peg. From my limited games-watching I'll go with David Wright on production.

AL ROY: Trout
AL Cy: Hernandez
AL MVP: Cabrera

NL ROY: Harper
NL Cy: Cueto
NL MVP: Wright

wbsmcs

Should the MVP go to the player with the best stats, or to a player whose team makes the playoffs? I believe Braun leads the league in OPS and the NL in homeruns, but if the Brewers fall below .500, I could see Mccutchen getting it, especially if the Pirates finish strong.

Windu

Should the MVP go to the player with the best stats, or to a player whose team makes the playoffs? I believe Braun leads the league in OPS and the NL in homeruns, but if the Brewers fall below .500, I could see Mccutchen getting it, especially if the Pirates finish strong.
it is a individual award so it should be based on individual performance, not team performance. then again voters seem to vote for the best hitters for the gold glove awards. /shrug

and btw about the "most valuable" aspect. Braun has been more valuable than any other player in the NL this year so far, therefore if you place him on another team (in a vacuum, not accounting for what the team has on the roster) then he would add the most value.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Rangers on a blast streak the past few days. Lovin' it

Link

The Autumn Wind
It does seem like NL MVP is the hardest one to peg. From my limited games-watching I'll go with David Wright on production.

AL ROY: Trout
AL Cy: Hernandez
AL MVP: Cabrera

NL ROY: Harper
NL Cy: Cueto
NL MVP: Wright
Wright has cooled considerably and the Mets are no longer in contention. I can't see him winning it.

eznark

Banned

The way he is playing, if the Pirates finish strong it will be in spite of, not thanks to, McCutchen.

Betcha anything if the Dodgers made it to the playoffs last year and the Brewers didn't, Kemp wins the MVP. That's how they vote.

That's only if an MVP caliber player is also playing for a playoff team. What MVP caliber player is playing for a playoff team that's putting up better numbers than Braun?

How do they lose so much? What happened to their pitchers?

So many questions about the Angels, myself.

They're a hit and miss. Some days they can hit and some days are way cold. They have no relief pitching...None at all. Relying on Hawkins, Isringhousen ad Jepsen no bueno.

Dodgers are the same. Maybe they will put League at closer..Since Kenley is out for the year

Windu

Yup, even Braun said that right after he won.

This year though no one on a playoff team has a real argument.
Bourn or Heyward could sneak in there. Although a lot of their value comes from defense and baserunning so I doubt the voters will notice them.

Windu

The Braves have six runs on two hits. Wat.
DSmox.gif

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Bryce Harper just scored from first on a double without a throw! Awesome.

:edit: oh yeah, It's Soriano out there. Only somewhat impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom