• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

So am I hearing this right that Angels are getting away with Trout's low contract for a couple more years? lol

What's the issue? He's not arbitration eligible until 2015. He goes through the same process every player goes through. He'll be renewed at about $500k for next season just like every player in that situation would be.

New instant replay used in AFL game yesterday. Worked pretty smooth. Longest review lasted a minute and 18 seconds. Managers came out and asked for review. A headset was brought to home plate umpire Nd he was communicating with a review ump. Process might change though.

Nope. Phillies can do whatever they want this off season. Their 1st round pick is protected since they have one of the 10 worst records in the league.
That is such great news. I was worried they might not be as aggressive in free agency if they had to worry about losing a high draft pick. Cant wait to see Ruben with no budget limit. Everybodies gettin paid.

Trout'll be, what, 25 or 26 when he hits free agency? He's going to get a massive contract.

He will get a massive contract with a different team. The Angels are so stupid to screw over their best player like this.

Sanjuro

That is such great news. I was worried they might not be as aggressive in free agency if they had to worry about losing a high draft pick. Cant wait to see Ruben with no budget limit. Everybodies gettin paid.

He will get a massive contract with a different team. The Angels are so stupid to screw over their best player like this.

Trout is their best player? On what planet!?

They have Albert Fucking Pujols!

No...wait, sorry, it's Josh Hamilton. He is head and shoulders above the rest.

3N16MA

Banned
Finalists for BBWAA awards.

zlS0hxX.png

Felix should be there and Anibal Sanchez is basically not winning the Cy Young because he missed 3-4 starts.

Syrinx

I have to believe the Angels won't let Trout hit free agency. They've shown that for better or worse (mostly worse) that they're perfectly willing to throw money all over the place, so they should at least throw it at the one guy the one major piece that can contribute going forward and can build around.

Zep

Banned

The Angels are playing this by the book. Do you not remember the Ryan Howard 900K(instead of 1million) saga? People were saying that meant the Phillies were still cheap and thought he'd leave because he was so pissed.

Point is the Angels and Trout will agree to a monster contract a year or two into arbitration. If he were on the Rays, he'd probably have a 7yr 50mil deal on the table right now.

3N16MA

Banned
The Angels are playing this by the book. Do you not remember the Ryan Howard 900K(instead of 1million) saga? People were saying that meant the Phillies were still cheap and thought he'd leave because he was so pissed.

Point is the Angels and Trout will agree to a monster contract a year or two into arbitration. If he were on the Rays, he'd probably have a 7yr 50mil deal on the table right now.

Trout is not going to stay with the Angels. He is coming back East.

The Angels, though, have already shown that they're willing to give old, breaking down guys insane contracts. By the Pujols/Hamilton standard, how much will Trout be worth when he's 26? $40m/year? $50m? Who knows what the economics of baseball will look like a few years from now, but I can't imagine there'll be a lot of teams that will be able to afford him -- but those that can would be crazy not to throw money at him. You probably wouldn't be paying for much decline, even with a 10-year deal.

Zep

Banned
The Angels, though, have already shown that they're willing to give old, breaking down guys insane contracts. By the Pujols/Hamilton standard, how much will Trout be worth when he's 26? $40m/year? $50m? Who knows what the economics of baseball will look like a few years from now, but I can't imagine there'll be a lot of teams that will be able to afford him -- but those that can would be crazy not to throw money at him. You probably wouldn't be paying for much decline, even with a 10-year deal.

Phillies
Yankees
Red Sox
Dodgers
Giants
Nationals
Tigers
Rangers

Are the safe bet teams to throw at him in an open market. There could always be a few dark horses like Atlanta and St. Louis as well. Still, I stand by the opinion that Anaheim won't let it come to that.

BFIB

For a player as injury prone as him? That's nuts.

His injuries were sort of freak style things, nothing that will sour on his production for the future.

But damn that money if that's true. I picked the wrong profession. That, and I can't play baseball well.

3N16MA

Banned
These are the predictions for Ellsbury:

MLBTR: 7/150
Heyman: 7/146
Agent that Heyman asked: 7/146
GM that Heyman asked: 6/100

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Seattle is going to have to overpay someome to get em there

The Mets like free-agent SS Jhonny Peralta “a lot,” according to New York Post’s Ken Davidoff.

Davidoff predicts the Mets will end up signing Peralta, as well as free-agent OF Curtis Granderson, this winter.

Granderson will cost a draft pick (not the Mets first-round pick, which is protected), as will free-agent SS Stephen Drew. Sandy Alderson is unlikely to part with two draft picks, and the Mets need power, which is why Davidoff thinks the team will go for Granderson and then sign Peralta, since Peralta will not cost a pick.

In Davidoff’s best estimation, Peralta and Granderson will each get a three-year, $36 million deal.
I like Peralta, though I'd rather not have Grandy.

JABEE

Trout is not going to stay with the Angels. He is coming back East.

Back to his home in the Delaware Valley!

The Phillies are his destiny. He still cheered for the Phillies even when he was drafted by the Angels organization. He still is a season ticket holder with the Eagles.

He said "We got Roy Halladay" when he called his father. His Father thought he meant the Angels. No, the Phillies are the team that is in his heart.

He'll sign a long-term deal with the Angels. :(

rando14

Marniners have like $30-something mil payrol next year, they're gonna overpay like a motherfucker this offseason

Like it even matters though, we should be tanking for the next couple of years!

Blackace

Marniners have like $30-something mil payrol next year, they're gonna overpay like a motherfucker this offseason

Like it even matters though, we should be tanking for the next couple of years!

You don't tank in baseball...

We have had payroll to burn for min... just Seattle doesn't attract big names

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You don't tank in baseball...

We have had payroll to burn for min... just Seattle doesn't attract big names

Tanking in baseball is real and it has worked...once. It also took about a decade.

The Astros are trying to repeat the success the Rays had with tanking and I honestly think they are on the right path.

What's the issue? He's not arbitration eligible until 2015. He goes through the same process every player goes through. He'll be renewed at about $500k for next season just like every player in that situation would be.
So does he get a Kershaw type deal when he's eligible?

Blackace

Tanking in baseball is real and it has worked...once. It also took about a decade.

The Astros are trying to repeat the success the Rays had with tanking and I honestly think they are on the right path.

Screw a decade of tanking for 5 good years

Manage your farm correctly and when you have bad years focus on your farm

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Screw a decade of tanking for 5 good years

Manage your farm correctly and when you have bad years focus on your farm

Sometimes it's the only decent way to fix a bad regime or two's awful decision making. Rays had an awful expansion draft and just fucked everything up for the next few years.

Need more reason to hate Boston?

His injuries were sort of freak style things, nothing that will sour on his production for the future.

But damn that money if that's true. I picked the wrong profession. That, and I can't play baseball well.

He has the type of game you don't want to pay for in his 30s. Predicated too much on speed. He loses a step and he loses a ton of value.

Top Bottom