• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Mrbob

Tanaka is the perfect fit for the Cubs. They have a top end farm system now, but a lot of lower rotation pitching prospects ( 3 ,4 5), with no ace. He fills that role greatly for the team.

I don't know if he wants to deal with a year or two of crap though before things start turning.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Players tried to kick A-Rod out of the union, threaten him with beaning when he returns
Player reps voted to have him expelled, only to be told it wasn’t legally possible. Then one of them told Passan and Brown that, if A-Rod plays again, he should be hit “and hit hard” He then compared A-Rod unfavorably to Nelson Cruz and Jhonny Peralta because, unlike A-Rod, “they took their medicine.” Moreover:

“[Rodriguez] needs to be scared of coming back and facing people he sued. If he can’t fear the wrath of getting kicked out or not being included, he’s going to be forced out.”

This is crazy. As I noted two weeks ago, suing the MLBPA is a legal prerequisite for having his suspension overturned pursuant to Section 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act. Rodriguez has an exceedingly small chance of success, of course, but if he or any other player who ever wishes to appeal an adverse arbitration result to federal court has any shot of winning, he has to name the union in the lawsuit.

Selig has already won.

El_Chino

Tanaka is the perfect fit for the Cubs. They have a top end farm system now, but a lot of lower rotation pitching prospects ( 3 ,4 5), with no ace. He fills that role greatly for the team.

I don't know if he wants to deal with a year or two of crap though before things start turning.
He made it clear that he wants to be part of a winning team.

Friggz

And getting Byrd over Beltran is the better move. Still, that quote has to scare you. Ruben knows hes back himself into a corner.

even on one leg id rather have beltran over byrd.

edit: i also have no idea why there is so much speculation about tanaka. nobody has any idea whats going on.

Zep

Banned
Just saw the nfl extra point thread and someone brought up the DH being in both leagues. I hope they decide to look at that next off-season and even the playing field, no matter what decision they make.

Even though I personally can't stand it, I'd be alright with knowing Howard could be moved off first and placed in a role he needs to be at this point of his career.

Sanjuro

If they taught players how to play at both positions in any of the developmental stages, maybe I wouldn't mind the pitcher hitting.

cashman

Banned

Tanaka is no ace.

Friggz

Tanaka is projected to be a 2-3 guy, unlike Darvish.

more a 2 from what i read, 3 pitchers that grade out to 60 or better is pretty damn impressive.

either way, its insane what hes going to be paid even as a number 2. even if hes good, i feel its going to be impossible for him to live up to the hype and the contract hes receiving or about to receive.

Just saw the nfl extra point thread and someone brought up the DH being in both leagues. I hope they decide to look at that next off-season and even the playing field, no matter what decision they make.

Even though I personally can't stand it, I'd be alright with knowing Howard could be moved off first and placed in a role he needs to be at this point of his career.

I would seriously consider not watching baseball anymore if they ruined the NL with the DH.

if the Dodgers get him, how many $20 million per season players will that give them?

Kershaw
Tanaka
Greinke
Kemp
Gonzalez
Crawful

did I miss anyone? Jesus that's $120 million on just 6 players. More than 95% of the rest of the league's payrolls on SIX players!?! DAT TV MONEY.

Pryce

if the Dodgers get him, how many $20 million per season players will that give them?

Kershaw
Tanaka
Greinke
Kemp
Gonzalez
Crawful

did I miss anyone? Jesus that's $120 million on just 6 players. More than 95% of the rest of the league's payrolls on SIX players!?! DAT TV MONEY.

Well either both/one of Kemp and Crawford a will be traded this season or next, but yeah.

The Dodgers will be getting 300 million in TV money (not sure when that totally kicks in), then there's also the 200+ million (Forbes) they get on straight $$$. I think that article is from 2012, so take it what you will. TL;DR the franchise is really, really wealthy.

Jesus that's $120 million on just 6 players. More than 95% of the rest of the league's payrolls on SIX players!?!.

iUQE3emiBrPBp.gif

how is that ruining it? the NL is beyond boring having to watch the pitcher hit. it should have changed 20 years ago.

What's boring about watching dumb AL managers like Ron Washington and John Farrell completely screwing up and not being able to strategize in the NL?

Friggz

What's boring about watching dumb AL managers like Ron Washington and John Farrell completely screwing up and not being able to strategize in the NL?

strategize in the NL? LOL. what the double switch? thats the strategy? you arent exactly preforming brain surgery here. its a glorified pitching change.

zulux21

Well either both/one of Kemp and Crawford a will be traded this season or next, but yeah.

they might get traded but the dodgers will likely be paying close to 20 mil of their contract (unless they have huge come back seasons, which for kemp might be possible if he strops breaking down, but I don't see it happening and Crawford obviously lost his speed so him coming back to form is extremely unlikely)

Kershaw
Tanaka
Greinke
Kemp
Gonzalez
Crawful

It's pretty insane. If Hanley has another great year he'll be up there in that list.

The Rays are in agreement to acquire Logan Forsythe from the Padres. According to Jeff Passan, five players are involved in the deal. It's believed Alex Torres will be going to the Padres as part of the deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Rays are in agreement to acquire Logan Forsythe from the Padres. According to Jeff Passan, five players are involved in the deal. It's believed Alex Torres will be going to the Padres as part of the deal.

Ugh. Fucking TERRIBLE.

Forsythe is just a poor mans Sean Rodriguez. Torres is totally nasty and deserved a shot at the rotation and at worst was just dominating out of the bullpen last year. Seriously hate this.

The prospects in this deal better be massively in the Rays favor or its a god awful trade.

Assuming CC Sabathia returns to his career norms, a rotation with a the front four of Sabathia/Kuroda/Tanaka/Nova is pretty good. And if Pineda can seize that 5th slot by coming back from injury and even being 80% of what he was in Seattle...the rotation is looking strong.

I love that there's an opt-out in there too - if he's as good as he could be, he'll command more money (and he can go get it/the Yankees can step away freely). If he's mediocre, they can just tough out those last 3 years and not give a crap because there'll be plenty of available rotation slots around him for FA/minor league arms.

I'd be much more excited if the Yankees could do something to fix the infield, though. The only "sure" things in the infield are 40-year old Derek Jeter and Teixeira coming off of 1.5 years of terrible injury (with one of them being a potentially power-sapping wrist injury). Luckily, clearly the luxury tax doesn't matter so RETURN OF EVIL EMPIRE and all that.

thefro

I love that there's an opt-out in there too - if he's as good as he could be, he'll command more money (and he can go get it/the Yankees can step away freely). If he's mediocre, they can just tough out those last 3 years and not give a crap because there'll be plenty of available rotation slots around him for FA/minor league arms.

It's a player opt-out only I believe. That puts all the risk on the Yankees if his arm falls off or if he pitches poorly.

It's a player opt-out only I believe. That puts all the risk on the Yankees if his arm falls off or if he pitches poorly.

I get that. If he sucks, the Yankees will have to eat 22M/year for the rest of the deal. But that also gives him an incentive to make sure he's good - he'll get paid way, way more by someone (and depending on how good, maybe the Yankees).

Tanaka might be great but giving $25 milli a year to a guy whose never thrown a pitch outside of Japan would scare the crap out of me. Kinda sucks that guys from japan and Cuba can sign these crazy contracts yet American born players like Strasberg and Bryce Harper make peanuts in comparison lol

Top Bottom