• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Fatalah

You should alert The Mets that they're playing in New York.

I still can't believe the Mets ended up on WOR710. Should have been ESPN Radio, WOR710 is a horrible station.

tPxFIsZ.png

With Rush Limbaugh at leadoff, Hannity the best number 2 guy in the business, the Mets come up at number 3 to knock it out of the park!

You should alert The Mets that they're playing in New York.
Mets are playing it smart, Alderson didn't have to overpay for anyone (they were in on Peralta, didn't land him), and with the sustained talent the system will bring up the next 3 years they're sitting pretty. With Harvey being out for 2014 he also kinda got an extra year on the rebuild. They're waiting out the Stephen Drew situation and they'll probably trade one of their stud pitchers in the minors for a bat or two at the Trading Deadline.

The Athletics have agreed with Eric O'Flaherty on a 2-year, $7 million deal, pending a physical. O'Flaherty is still recovering from Tommy John surgery and is expected to return in June 2014.

Apparently this offseason the Yankees have spent a total of $491 million dollars in contracts.

FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY-ONE MILLION

community-chest-luxury-tax.jpg%3Fw%3D522

Because they are spending all of that in 1 season, and not over multiple players over multiple seasons!

Because none of them have opt-outs or performance metrics/incentives to reach those values!

Because there's no luxury tax penalties for spending that money!

Because baseball isn't awash in money from increased attendance, TV/internet deals and licensing deals!

Because none of these deals will result in additional revenue from overseas!

Because none of the currently contracted Yankees will ever come off the books ala Bobby Bonilla, mitigating the impact of these signings!

Anyway, salary cap and salary floor with dedicated 80% spending on player personnel guaranteed, and I'm with it.

Tanaka breakdown:

2014 (age 25): $22 million
2015 (age 26): $22 million
2016 (age 27): $22 million
2017 (age 28): $22 million
2018 (age 29): $22 million
2019 (age 30): $22 million
2020 (age 31): $23 million

Also, full no-trade clause and Tanaka can opt out after 2017.

Malvingt2

Tanaka breakdown:

oh wow

We still need another pitcher. Feels good to have him. We have a few #2 type SP's. He needs to be a way better than Kuroda and below Yu.

That's funny.

Cubs haven't been relevant in what? 7-10 years? Let's be honest.

I think they're closer to 105+ years now.

What's boring about watching dumb AL managers like Ron Washington and John Farrell completely screwing up and not being able to strategize in the NL?

Besides this, I really, really enjoy watching a pitcher get a hit. It's one of the dumbest plays in baseball and should never happen, but when it does, dammit, I get a good laugh. Added bonus if it's a homerun/grandslam. I'll really miss seeing those rare hits if the DH comes to the NL.

Besides, if Stephen Drew isn't being replaced by a DH then there's no reason your average NL pitcher should be either.

Malo

Banned
We still need another pitcher. Feels good to have him. We have a few #2 type SP's. He needs to be a way better than Kuroda and below Yu.
No we don't. Let Phelps and Pineda battle it out in spring training for the 5th spot. We need infield help badly, I don't want to see Nunez starting for the rest of my life.

Besides this, I really, really enjoy watching a pitcher get a hit. It's one of the dumbest plays in baseball and should never happen, but when it does, dammit, I get a good laugh. Added bonus if it's a homerun/grandslam. I'll really miss seeing those rare hits if the DH comes to the NL.

I think last year, 60% of the Braves rotation homered. Hudson, Minor, and Medlen all hit one.

3N16MA

Banned

Not really, they have the top 4 spots in the rotation filled and Pineda/Nuno/Phelps competing for the final spot. They could sign someone else but it's not a need. They need another bullpen arm if they are going to sign a pitcher.

Stay salty frankie.
Salty? LOL it's kinda funny for a team who wanted to lock a payroll around "$189 million" to go all in like this.

I watched alot of Yu Darvish in Japan, and I don't see Tanaka being Darvish-level. And before someone plays the Yankee card I would've been killing anyone who paid that much for him.

Mrbob

Tanaka is no ace.

Tanaka breakdown:

Tanaka is smart. He'll just opt out when the Cubs are good.

I think the Yankees need an infield before they need another pitcher.

Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts power duo, what is not to like?

3N16MA

Banned
Yankees infield is stacked. A couple of the posters here told me that Eduardo Nunez finally has his time to be a starter and will be the true successor to Jeter.

Nunez just needs a few more seasons to really get going. I see him as a top 3 SS in the league around 2021-2022.

zulux21

I would've been killing anyone who paid that much for him.

I have to agree with this... it's crazy to think that someone who hasn't pitched a single pitch in the majors just got the 5th largest pitching contract in history...

If I recall right japanese baseball is considered somewhere around AA - AAA right?
Either way while I would like to see more japanese players do well in the majors, the money is just crazy so I kind of want to see him fail, not super horribly, maybe match Gavin Floyd's numbers or so, but still a big fail for the contract.

Oh well, at least if he fails since it's the yankees the contract won't really matter as compared to him failing on a team like the cubs or diamondbacks.

At that money though I am glad the white sox didn't get him. I'd rather they spend that money on multiple players than 1 unknown.

Was rooting for the Ms or White Sox (lol) to get him but at least Tanaka didn't go to the Dodgers or Cubs.

Which team will now overpay for Price? Or Santana/Garza?

BFIB

If the Yanks spent $490 plus mil, and blew past the luxury tax, then IMO they just need to go all in. Sign everyone.

Sanjuro

I remember some guy the other day or so was arguing with me here about the Yankees budgeting themselves and this isn't the "old days" of George.

I actually think the braintrust is even wackier at this point. I would love a sitcom of Hal, Hank, and Brian. Joe would just be that walk on character with a one liner every episode.

3N16MA

Banned
I remember some guy the other day or so was arguing with me here about the Yankees budgeting themselves and this isn't the "old days" of George.

I actually think the braintrust is even wackier at this point. I would love a sitcom of Hal, Hank, and Brian. Joe would just be that walk on character with a one liner every episode.

Hank said the payroll would be 300M without revenue sharing. Hank is a copy of his dad.

Sanjuro

How can the Yankees spend so much on an unknown quantity!???!!!! Plus we know he is a total bust!!!!!!!

They had to melt down a portion of Monument Park. Traded in the team jet for the Griswold station wagon. Team will spend their nights by a burning barrel, trying to catch whatever rodent scampers by.

...but they did it. They scrounged enough bank for the biggest bust in Frankman history.

The 2014 New York Yankees, folks.

dionysus

Yaldog
I think they're closer to 105+ years now.

Besides, if Stephen Drew isn't being replaced by a DH then there's no reason your average NL pitcher should be either.

I was at an Astros game where Carlos Zambrano pitched a no hitter or single hitter (can't remember which) and also hit a home run. Was awesome to see one man beat 14 other players by himself (if you don't count defense).

Edit. Heck that game is on his Wikipedia page. Look at the 2006 season. Fucking Preston Wilson prevented the no hitter.

Top Bottom