• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hahahahahaha. Those "discussions" would just consist of the Rays front office pointing and laughing at Ruben Amaro.

Bwhahaha.

No GM is stupid enough to do that trade.

Ryan Howard is the Phillies problem for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time.

3N16MA

Banned
Well at least the fake outrage is at a minimum this year.

Greatest 2 year span since Bonds and no awards to show for it. As good as Cabrera is on offense, it's the only thing he is good at. It's not enough to put him above someone who is also great offensively but also crushes him in two huge aspects of the game.

Zep

Banned
Greatest 2 year span since Bonds and no awards to show for it. As good as Cabrera is on offense, it's the only thing he is good at. It's not enough to put him above someone who is also great offensively but also crushes him in two huge aspects of the game.

Sorry friend, only real MVP's get something like this

https://twitter.com/MiguelCabrera/status/401057582594289664
BZDXvxlCcAAmtnU.jpg:large

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
When was the last time the MVP went to a non-playoff team?

I know it's been ages in the AL

3N16MA

Banned
Without him the Tigers miss the playoffs, without Trout the Angles are still the Angles.

Put Trout on the Tigers and Cabrera on the Angels. Do the Tigers miss the playoffs? Are the Angels all of a sudden a playoff team? Pretty sure the Angels won more games than the Tigers last season and still missed the playoffs.

You could take Omar Infante off the team and say the same thing about missing the playoffs.

BFIB

Trout is warranted to be in the discussion, but when healthy, Cabrera is the best in the AL right now.

3N16MA

Banned
How was Trout more valuable?

He is the better all around player which means he carries more value. I'm sure you would agree that if Ortiz was outstanding at 1B he would be a better player and be more valuable than simply being a DH. Trout has a larger skill set that allows him to offer more value to pretty much any team.

I don't see how having a great rotation makes Cabrera more valuable or playing in a more difficult division like last season makes Trout less valuable.

How was Trout more valuable?
Some might say Trout's superior defense/baserunning trumps Miggy's advantage with the bat.

Trout is warranted to be in the discussion, but when healthy, Cabrera is the best in the AL right now.
If he finished out the season strong instead of hobbled, it would've been a more imteresting debate. That last month really dragged his numbers down. Which goes to show how unreal his first 5 months were but you can't make qualifiers about a guy's health when determining how valuable he is. Being on the field matters too.

Sanjuro

He is the better all around player which means he carries more value. I'm sure you would agree that if Ortiz was outstanding at 1B he would be a better player and be more valuable than simply being a DH. Trout has a larger skill set that allows him to offer more value to pretty much any team.

I don't see how having a great rotation makes Cabrera more valuable or playing in a more difficult division like last season makes Trout less valuable.

Trout should get the best offensive player award then, because it's awfully difficult for me to see how he can contribute the most value to a team which was amongst the worst in the league.

It's semantics, sure. They should be more diverse in the awarding process then. There doesn't seem to be an issue in number of awards given already.

3N16MA

Banned
Trout should get the best offensive player award then, because it's awfully difficult for me to see how he can contribute the most value to a team which was amongst the worst in the league.

It's semantics, sure. They should be more diverse in the awarding process then. There doesn't seem to be an issue in number of awards given already.

Official BBWAA guidelines to MVP voting:

Dear Voter:

There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.

The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.

You are also urged to give serious consideration to all your selections, from 1 to 10. A 10th-place vote can influence the outcome of an election. You must fill in all 10 places on your ballot. Only regular-season performances are to be taken into consideration.

Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.

It does say that the voter is allowed to decide what is most valuable but also points out that the winner does not need to come from a playoff team. It also points out that defense plays a part.

Writers simply put too much emphasis on factors that to not determine value and only certain aspects of offense.

Sanjuro

I understand everyone is going to have a different interpretation of the vote. At the same time, I don't think players from non-playoff teams should be exempt either.

Personally, I factor in DUIs and grit.

3N16MA

Banned
Also you can look at WPA to see how these players actually impacted their teams win probability. Cabrera actually leads Trout while Davis leads everyone in the AL. However that only takes offense into consideration. Once defense and base running are included, Trout leapfrogs both.

WPA is situation based.

clemenx

Banned
I understand and agree that Trout has been the better player. But almost everyone who talks him up ends up talking about Miggy as if it he were some undeserving scrub. I can't agree with the hardcore dudes because of that. There's a middle point here.

Zep

Banned
If he finished out the season strong instead of hobbled, it would've been a more imteresting debate. That last month really dragged his numbers down. Which goes to show how unreal his first 5 months were but you can't make qualifiers about a guy's health when determining how valuable he is. Being on the field matters too.

And I actually think that helped him with the writers. The fact that he played through an abdominal, hip flexor and groin injury, while keeping the Tigers in a playoff spot had to be one of the factors.

3N16MA

Banned
And I actually think that helped him with the writers. The fact that he played through an abdominal, hip flexor and groin injury, while keeping the Tigers in a playoff spot had to be one of the factors.

Did he really keep the Tigers in a playoff spot? Omar Infante played better than Cabrera in September.

Zep

Banned
Did he really keep the Tigers in a playoff spot? Omar Infante played better than Cabrera in September.

All games count dude...His other injuries were in the middle of the season and he was tearing the cover off the ball. I understand what you're saying about his struggles in September but they only made the playoffs by a couple of games. If we're playing that game, where would they be without his torrid August(while injured)?

Like Clemenx said, the way people come at Cabrera, its like hes some dude who keeps lucking into MVPs.

cashman

Banned
All games count dude...His other injuries were in the middle of the season and he was tearing the cover off the ball. I understand what you're saying about his struggles in September but they only made the playoffs by a couple of games. If we're playing that game, where would they be without his torrid August(while injured)?

Like Clemenx said, the way people come at Cabrera, its like hes some dude who keeps lucking into MVPs.

It's not that he didn't play well enough to win the MVP, it's just that Trout was better both years.

Malo

Banned
It's not that he didn't play well enough to win the MVP, it's just that Trout was better both years.
Pretty much. Dude essentially put up back to back 10 war seasons which is insane. Not saying war is the end all be all but that's fucking bananas.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Trout will finally win his MVP the first year that he's only the 3rd best player in the league. He will also be a Yankee (or maybe a Phillie?).

I'm back. The Braves are getting a new stadium! I'll severely miss the ghetto and the Section 8 housing right next to Turner Field.

Top Bottom