• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/hudsons-deal-official-giants-arent-done-spending

lol Atlanta

Also:

jOrvSNO.png

I wonder if that means the Dodgers or Angels try and make a play.
And yet the Athletics are a much better team than the Giants. Weird.

Yankees' Randy Levine:

We have no interest in doing a 10-year deal and we have no interest in paying any player over $300 million. We hope he comes back to us. We want him. But there's really no reason to have any discussions at this point until we get a little closer.

Malo

Banned
MLBTR predicts a 9 year $234 million contract. Fuck that. I'm going to pull a squicken/eron/darkside if that happens.

Yankees' Randy Levine:
So now they take that stand. Where was this stand for Alex? Levine and Hank need to shot to the moon and be kept as far away from baseball operations as possible.

MLBTR predicts a 9 year $234 million contract. Fuck that. I'm going to pull a squicken/eron/darkside if that happens.

So now they take that stand. Where was this stand for Alex? Levine and Hank need to shot to the moon and be kept as far away from baseball operations as possible.

If Cano signs else where, we should get Choo McCann, and trade for Howie Kendrick.

3N16MA

Banned
Sandy stay away from Cano, follow the Red Sox model. one player aint helping this team

I think some fans are giving a little too much credit to the acquisitions the Sox made last off season. Sure it helped but they already had Ortiz, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester, Buchholz, Saltalamacchia, and Lackey on the team before any of the 2012 signings.

They already had a core of players and all of them improved from their previous seasons. Those players alone accounted for a increase of 19.6 rWAR over the previous season.

3N16MA

Banned
The Mets couldn't match $2.5 million for their best clubhouse guy
Wait what?
and their second-best reliever?
WHATTTTTTTTTT?
Fuck this team, I hope Wilpon somehow ends up rotting in prison next to his best friend Madoff. Alderson won't sign anyone, and he's out of expiring contracts of good players to flip for top pitching prospects
(because they're out of good players).
Z7zXe.gif

AAHAHAHGHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LATROY HAWKINS GET THE FUCK OFF MY TEAM. SO HAPPY HE'S GONE.

The Mets have signed Brandon Allen to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training.

The 27-year-old first baseman spent all of 2013 at Triple-A for the San Diego Padres, hitting .267 with a .347 OBP, 17 home runs and 76 RBI. He’s also seen a handful of games in the outfield, mostly in left field.

In 116 major league games over four seasons (from 2009-2012), Allen has hit .203 with a .290 OBP in 389 plate appearances. He hit 12 home runs and 41 RBI. He appeared in just seven games for the Tampa Bay Rays in 2012.

He bats left handed and throws righty.
Nice depth move since Mets lack 1B types in minors. Davis is going to get dealt, it's a matter of getting contingency plans in place in case Duda bombs out.

I think some fans are giving a little too much credit to the acquisitions the Sox made last off season. Sure it helped but they already had Ortiz, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester, Buchholz, Saltalamacchia, and Lackey on the team before any of the 2012 signings.

They already had a core of players and all of them improved from their previous seasons. Those players alone accounted for a increase of 19.6 rWAR over the previous season.
I meant they spread the wealth around.signed multiple pieces instead of one big name

Zep

Banned
Where was this stand for Alex? Levine and Hank need to shot to the moon and be kept as far away from baseball operations as possible.

The two situations aren't even comparable. Age aside, Arod was coming off the best season of his career and was must-see TV like Bonds in his peak years. Add to the fact that he had everyone thinking he could break the HR record and be the one to have done it naturally.

The Yankees were gonna make bank with all the memorabilia baseballs and commercial slots as people tuned in to watch him break Hank and Bonds records. So Rodriguez's money was worth it.

Then Selena Roberts came through and crushed the buildings.

Friggz

arod was coming off a much better season....and really was just a much better player at that point in his career.

but yes...no 10 year deal for cano please.

Malo

Banned
The two situations aren't even comparable. Age aside, Arod was coming off the best season of his career and was must-see TV like Bonds in his peak years. Add to the fact that he had everyone thinking he could break the HR record and be the one to have done it naturally.

The Yankees were gonna make bank with all the memorabilia baseballs and commercial slots as people tuned in to watch him break Hank and Bonds records. So Rodriguez's money was worth it.

Then Selena Roberts came through and crushed the buildings.

arod was coming off a much better season....and really was just a much better player at that point in his career.

I know and understand that but, you just don't give out ten year deals to any player, especially to one in their 30s. You're taking a massive risk with such a long deal.

The only player in baseball I would consider giving a ten year deal to is Trout and even then I'm still hesitant about it.

Yankees would be stupid to offer more than something like 7/$160. Nobody else is going to bid big on Cano. Dodgers just signed that Cuban dude, have to resign Kershaw and are trying to unload salary in Kemp/Ethier so unless they have some crazy plan to move Cano to 3B they are out. Detroit is trying to dump the Cy Young winner in an attempt to save salary. Texas has enough money locked up in middle infielders. Anaheim is still trying to figure out how to make Pujols/Hamilton not end up a complete cluster fuck, and have a 2B in Kendrick. And I can't see Theo and the Cubs giving a 30 year old a 7+ year contract. Yankees need to learn from the A-Rod situation. This is that all over again.

3N16MA

Banned

A-Rod's first 4 seasons with the Yankees: .303/.403/.573, .412 wOBA/154 wRC+, 29.0 fWAR, 30.8 rWAR

Cano's 4 last 4 seasons with the Yankees: .312/.373/.533, .386 wOBA/142 wRC+, 25.4 fWAR, 29.8 rWAR

Was A-Rod better? Yes. Was A-Rod much better? When you include defense he did not blow Cano away.

However A-Rod's 10 year contract was wrong and the Yankees don't need to repeat that mistake.

Zep

Banned
I know and understand that but, you just don't give out ten year deals to any player, especially to one in their 30s. You're taking a massive risk with such a long deal.

Come on...If you're still talking about A-rod here and not Cano, you know none of this mattered at the time. Yankees were always gonna eat the back end of that contract and make bank off the records he was supposed to break along the way. He wasn't just "any player" coming off that MVP award in '07.

Yankees would be stupid to offer more than something like 7/$160. Nobody else is going to bid big on Cano. Dodgers just signed that Cuban dude, have to resign Kershaw and are trying to unload salary in Kemp/Ethier so unless they have some crazy plan to move Cano to 3B they are out. Detroit is trying to dump the Cy Young winner in an attempt to save salary. Texas has enough money locked up in middle infielders. Anaheim is still trying to figure out how to make Pujols/Hamilton not end up a complete cluster fuck, and have a 2B in Kendrick. And I can't see Theo and the Cubs giving a 30 year old a 7+ year contract. Yankees need to learn from the A-Rod situation. This is that all over again.

sums it up perfectly. nobody can offer what he wants, only Yanks can come close.

rando14

20110129_DLS14.jpg

desperate men do desperate things

Top Bottom