• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I don't know if you're trolling or whatever but Biggio was 10 wins better than any other 2B from the 1990s.

He's trolling cause he hates all Houston teams.

"he is probably a steroid user like Bagwell and not nearly as good of a player. "

LOL

Grant Brisbee ‏@mccoveychron 1m
Yasushi Kikuchi, who left Buster Posey off the 2010 ROY ballot, voted for Biggio, Julio Franco, Schilling, and Bernie Williams.
jajajaja

jakncoke

Banned
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Armando Benitez and Jacque Jones do not get votes if the ballots are made public. Simple as that. Transparency. Honesty. Let's do it, BBWAA.

Votes like this always interest me. Part of me feels like at one time these players bought the writer a steak, blowjob or a eight ball and they are returning the favor

Malvingt2

Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin
JT Snow received 2 votes...Armando Benitez & Jacque Jones each got one. Two of those would have put Biggio to the necessary 75%

Yeah.. Man

Malvingt2

BdevqOeIgAIXWMl.jpg

Chicago Cubs ‏@Cubs
#Cubs proudly recognize Greg Maddux for his @BaseballHall induction today. pic.twitter.com/K3BKvf6kSh

aFIGurANT

The whole BBWA organization is, to me, a lot like the problem with video games being a credible art medium. Until the generations switch over and we get more people who grew up looking at things from a wider perspective, this shit isn't changing. Baseball is obviously way more complicated given the fact that voters are juggling PED suspicion as well as what constitutes a valuable stat-line, but in general it's the baby boomer phenomenon where a lot of these guys refuse to change.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Rocket and Bagwell?

The Dream?

Never.

I said Houston teams, not players, but anyway not 100% shocked you like Rocket/Bags

No one hates the Dream... I think. How can you hate that man.

dmag1223

Listening to these crusty old guys on MLB network morally grandstanding about PEDs is ridiculous. I love visiting the HOF but the election process is a complete farce.

Sanjuro

I said Houston teams, not players, but anyway not 100% shocked you like Rocket/Bags

No one hates the Dream... I think. How can you hate that man.

Dream was more impactful to his team than Jordan was. Legend.

Houston teams? I wanted to see them beat the Nobody Sox in the World Series. Largely because of those players. The reality is I don't root for any other teams besides the local ones...and the Whalers...and Packers...and Yankees. Fuck.

Matrix

Think hes confusing you for me.

B-G-O

I can't keep up with all the Houston haters. It runs deep on here for some reason despite our teams never winning shit.

Dan LeBatard was the voter who sold his vote to Deadspin.com. He's explanation.
I feel like my vote has gotten pretty worthless in the avalanche of sanctimony that has swallowed it.

I have no earthly idea if Jeff Bagwell or Frank Thomas did or didn't use steroids.

I think I understand why the steroid guys were the steroid guys in this competition-aholic culture.

I hate all the moralizing we do in sports in general, but I especially hate the hypocrisy in this: Many of the gatekeeper voters denying Barry Bonds Hall Of Fame entry would have they themselves taken a magical, healing, not-tested-for-in-their-workplace elixir if it made them better at their jobs, especially if lesser talents were getting the glory and money. Lord knows I'd take the elixir for our ESPN2 TV show if I could.

I don't think I'm any more qualified to determine who is Hall of Fame-worthy than a fan who cares about and really knows baseball. In fact, many people analyzing baseball with advanced metrics outside of mainstream media are doing a better job than mainstream media, and have taught us some things in recent years when we were behind. In other words, just because we went to journalism school and covered a few games, just because accepted outlets gave us their platform and power, I don't think we should have the pulpit to ourselves in 2014 that way we did in 1936.

Baseball is always reticent to change, but our flawed voting process needs remodeling in a new media world. Besides, every year the power is abused the way I'm going to be alleged to abuse it here. There's never been a unanimous first-ballot guy? Seriously? If Ruth and Mays and Schmidt aren't that, then what is? This year, someone is going to leave one of the five best pitchers ever off the ballot. Suck it, Greg Maddux.

I've become a more and more lenient voter over the years, often allowing the max 10 guys in a year, and I wanted to put in more this year. I happen to agree with most of the reader selections. I was afraid you guys were going to have me voting for Jacque Jones and no one else. I was kind of surprised this particular snark-land respected the process. I found it impossible to limit it this year to 10, but 10 was all that was allowed, so thanks for the help. But why limit it to 10 in a year that has more than 10 worthy candidates, by the way? How dumb is that?

And my final reason: I always like a little anarchy inside the cathedral we've made of sports.

I'm not sure what kind of trouble this is going to bring me. I imagine I'll probably have my vote stripped. But I don't want to be a part of the present climate without reform anyway. Given that climate, doing THIS has more impact than my next 20 years of votes as sanctimony bars the HOF door on the steroid guys. Because, in a climate without reform, my next 20 years of votes will be counted but not actually heard. At least this gets it heard, for better or for worse.

Matrix

Dream was more impactful to his team than Jordan was. Legend.

Houston teams? I wanted to see them beat the Nobody Sox in the World Series. Largely because of those players. The reality is I don't root for any other teams besides the local ones...and the Whalers...and Packers...and Yankees. Fuck.

I got you confused with Zep for a min. I apologize for that. That WS was sad as hell. Losing such close games, getting swept that way and it felt like no one in the world cared. It depresses me to this day. Astros finally make it and can't even win a game.

Sanjuro

I got you confused with Zep for a min. I apologize for that. That WS was sad as hell. Losing such close games, getting swept that way and it felt like no one in the world cared. It depresses me to this day. Astros finally make it and can't even win a game.

I blame Beltran.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
ageless wonder.... i guess?

I asked Frank Sinatra, I said "Frank, you hang out with Julio Franco all the time, just between you and me, how old is Julio Franco?"

You know what Frank told me, he said "hey, Julio Franco is a 137 years old. A hundred and thirty-seven years old!

I was watching MLBN year in the review a few nights ago.

Right after that they showed some film about the 2005 World Series. Never before did I change the channel so fast.

Don't worry though, things are looking up and they'll get there again. :) #BelieveinLuhnow

Malvingt2

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
Shame on the santimonious attention seeker who turned his vote over to a website. #sad

Casey Stern ‏@CaseyStern
Whoever voted for Armando Benitez as a hall of famer PLEASE call us at #InsidePitch @MLBNetworkRadio 866-652-6696. Please. #MLB #HOF

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Maddux, Glavine and Cox all go in at the same time. Awesome. (Smoltz should have retired a year earlier)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's hilarious seeing people criticize Le Batard. Maybe they should actually read what he wrote. And the Deadspin ballot was a good one.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's hilarious seeing you bail out on the Biggio argument at the drop of a truth pin.

What are you talking about dude? I don't know what you want me to say.

I think the best player at his position during his era should get into the Hall of Fame. I think Edgar Martinez should get into the HOF because hes the greatest DH of all time. I think Biggio should have already got into the HOF because he was the best 2B during his prime.

I think Bagwell should be in the HOF too. I would vote for all the roid users who deserve it, I think Bonds not being in yet is a joke. And theres literally no proof that Bagwell ever juiced either.

Top Bottom