• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

3N16MA

Banned
Maybe Mussina should have stuck around a couple more seasons to notch 300 wins and get the voters all hot over that number.

jakncoke

Banned
Looking through random players stats. It amazes me the year Bob Gibson had a 1.12 era he also had 9 losses. Poor guy lol run support.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Congrats to the big hurt! Maddux and Glavine were a given, but some were debating Frank. Innocent until proven guilty as far as PEDs go imo.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Congrats to the big hurt! Maddux and Glavine were a given, but some were debating Frank. Innocent until proven guilty as far as PEDs go imo.

Then Bags is being completely fucked over.

JABEE

Also, please don't promote from within CSN Philly. I don't want Ricky Botallico in the booth. I hate him in the Pre-and-post game.

Uh.. where did I ever say there weren't users back then?

I'm asking if they were caught/ostracized like they are today. Because all I've ever heard was about this particular era and how it tarnished the game.

Sorry if I misunderstood you -- I thought your question was rhetorical, when evidently it was actually a question. So to answer it less snippily: no, they weren't caught and ostracized before the beginning of the 2000s. The teams supplied the greenies, bowls were available in every clubhouse, and everyone's known about it since at least the early '70s, when Jim Bouton wrote Ball Four. Cocaine was dealt with a little more strictly (Fergie Jenkins had a minor suspension in 1980, and the Pirates had a major scandal involving a clubhouse attendant), but no one was ever blackballed for it -- see Steve Howe, who was constantly in and out of rehab for his drug and alcohol issues (he was also suspended seven times, but he was always allowed to come back, and no sportswriters ever wrote handwringing columns about how he was a stain on the game, as far as I know).

Everyone knew about the steroids too: Tom House (former Rangers pitching coach) has said players were using at least as far back as the '70s); people changed "Steroids" at Jose Canseco when he and Mark McGwire were the Bash Brothers in Oakland in the late '80s; Mark McGwire was caught with a bottle of some supplement the same year he was chasing Maris' record. So everyone in the media knew, and none of them cared. It was only when someone they didn't like so much (Bonds) started breaking records that it suddenly became a huge issue.

jakncoke

Banned
Reading this ESPN article on people losing votes. I dont understand how a voter can feel player is X is worthy 1 year then the next he isnt? How does that even make sense? Perhaps it has to do with the limit. Then again trying to make sense of voters is pointless because most dont make sense.

br got full votes up. surprised not a single vote for richie sexson

eric gagne with 2 votes as well
Rafael Palmeiro fell under the required 5%
I think Mark McGwire is at his low at 11%

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2014.shtml

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Reading this ESPN article on people losing votes. I dont understand how a voter can feel player is X is worthy 1 year then the next he isnt? How does that even make sense? Perhaps it has to do with the limit. Then again trying to make sense of voters is pointless because most dont make sense.

br got full votes up. surprised not a single vote for richie sexson

eric gagne with 2 votes as well
Rafael Palmeiro fell under the required 5%
I think Mark McGwire is at his low at 11%

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_2014.shtml

It's the limit. New guys are eligible this year. So guys who had certain players last year don't vote them in this year because somebody has to get bumped off the list for Maddux, Glavine, Thomas etc.

Next year is going to be really bad for guys who didn't get in this year besides Biggio who should get in and maybe Piazza.

First time eligible guys for 2015 include Randy Johnson, Pedro and Smoltz who you figure will all be locks.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's the limit. New guys are eligible this year. So guys who had certain players last year don't vote them in this year because somebody has to get bumped off the list for Maddux, Glavine, Thomas etc.

Next year is going to be really bad for guys who didn't get in this year besides Biggio who should get in and maybe Piazza.

First time eligible guys for 2015 include Randy Johnson, Pedro and Smoltz who you figure will all be locks.

Those 3 better be locks...

Chris R

MLB's 404 page is kinda funny

and Mariner season tickets are crazy cheap :( Thinking I'll fly down for the TEX/WAS series at the end of August so I can watch some Baseball and some CFB as well (WSU has a game in Seattle)

El_Chino

So there's already talk of the Dodgers, Cubs, and the Diamondbacks beginning their pursuit of Tanaka but no word on the Yankees. What gives?

Nobody respects the Hall anymore. The whole first ballot/2nd ballot thing confuses me as well. The person either belongs in the hall or they don't. Ain't like they go play a few extra games between voting years. Don't get it.

Every team has a guy they think should be in but never will be. Bonds is never getting in. Clemens is never getting in. Rose probably is never getting in. I say let them in, because they were the best in their eras.

Friggz

He would be in if he did which is ridiculous. He was just as good if not better than Glavine and did not stick around to compile numbers like Glavine.

mussina was better. its nothing short of a joke that glavine got in ahead of him. Its strictly wins that got glavine into the hall.

3N16MA

Banned
mussina was better. its nothing short of a joke that glavine got in ahead of him. Its strictly wins that got glavine into the hall.

They both deserve to be in even if Glavine did not get 300 wins in my opinion. Glavine is not a flashy choice without those wins but he complied enough over a very long career as a good pitcher. Mussina was just better.

Friggz

They both deserve to be in even if Glavine did not get 300 wins in my opinion. Glavine is not a flashy choice without those wins but he complied enough over a very long carrer as a good pitcher.

not saying glavine shouldnt have gotten in. but the % difference between him and moose is a joke, when mussina was just a better pitcher.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tanaka to the Ms have been floating around for a min...

Would be a crazy Braves like rotation

Top Bottom