• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Sanjuro

What are you talking about dude? I don't know what you want me to say.

I think the best player at his position during his era should get into the Hall of Fame. I think Edgar Martinez should get into the HOF because hes the greatest DH of all time. I think Biggio should have already got into the HOF because he was the best 2B during his prime.

I think Bagwell should be in the HOF too. I would vote for all the roid users who deserve it, I think Bonds not being in yet is a joke. And theres literally no proof that Bagwell ever juiced either.

There are two parts to that.

1. Being the best second basemen isn't a huge accomplishment. Cano and Pedroia are already playing at a superior level. The position was a wasteland. Beyond that, at no point in his career was Biggio one of the absolute top players in the league or even on his team for the large portion. He was however a consistent good player.

2. I agree with you on the other players getting in, but here it gets tricky. I can't understand people crying for Biggio not getting in, when you have Bagwell who has steroid implications equal or lesser than Biggio himself.

It's a huge mess. I rather nobody get in for the next several years than have to read terrible articles from sports writers who are trolling.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
What are you talking about dude? I don't know what you want me to say.

I think the best player at his position during his era should get into the Hall of Fame. I think Edgar Martinez should get into the HOF because hes the greatest DH of all time. I think Biggio should have already got into the HOF because he was the best 2B during his prime.

I think Bagwell should be in the HOF too. I would vote for all the roid users who deserve it, I think Bonds not being in yet is a joke. And theres literally no proof that Bagwell ever juiced either.

E6S5fQC.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There are two parts to that.

1. Being the best second basemen isn't a huge accomplishment. Cano and Pedroia are already playing at a superior level. The position was a wasteland. Beyond that, at no point in his career was Biggio one of the absolute top players in the league or even on his team for the large portion. He was however a consistent good player.

2. I agree with you on the other players getting in, but here it gets tricky. I can't understand people crying for Biggio not getting in, when you have Bagwell who has steroid implications equal or lesser than Biggio himself.

It's a huge mess. I rather nobody get in for the next several years than have to read terrible articles from sports writers who are trolling.

I agree that there are other guys who aren't in yet who are more deserving than Biggio.

I think the reason people are really upset with Biggio not getting in has to do with how close hes been the past few years. Him not getting in this year by 2 votes and there being as many questionable near blank ballots being turned is what really has people in arms.

It's hard to get outraged about Piazza or whoever else because they weren't that close.

dionysus

Yaldog
What mental hoops do these writers have to jump through to conclude that the steroid era of baseball was somehow more corrupt than any other era? We already know previous eras used other illegal performance enhancing drugs, and the current era currently still uses illegal performance enhancing drugs.

The only difference seems to be that steroids were a really really effective enhancer.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Next year, for sure Biggio gets in.

But yeah, the reason I'm more upset than anything is that he was literally 1 or 2 votes away from being inducted this year and there are people not voting for him based on unfounded implications just because he played in the "PED Era".

What mental hoops do these writers have to jump through to conclude that the steroid era of baseball was somehow more corrupt than any other era? We already know previous eras used other illegal performance enhancing drugs, and the current era currently still uses illegal performance enhancing drugs.

The only difference seems to be that steroids were a really really effective enhancer.

Because people were getting caught far more often. Were there stores if any player in previous eras being caught of using illegal substances?

Sanjuro

If Dan Le Batard didn't receive any money, he should be heralded as the greatest HoF Voter of all time.

Deadspin says no.

Malvingt2

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin
This year, 50% of BBWAA voters used all 10 ballot spots, up from 22% last year. Look for BBWAA to recommend larger ballot.

man only 50%?

eznark

Banned
I don't get the "best of the era" argument. This isn't the Hall of the 90's. You aren't comparing Craig Biggio to Jody Reed, you're comparing him to Rogers Hornsby and Jackie Robinson.

And if you are more upset about Craig Biggio than Barry Bonds you're an asshole.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
If Dan Le Batard didn't receive any money, he should be heralded as the greatest HoF Voter of all time.
the article says he insisted on not getting anything for his vote. not sure if that means he got nothing though.
Thanks to Dan for this perfect explanation of the problems with the Hall of Fame, and for turning his vote over to Deadspin readers. [Update: Dan wants to make clear that he insisted on not getting anything for his vote.]
http://deadspin.com/revealed-the-hall-of-fame-voter-who-turned-his-ballot-1496558341

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I will say this though, Biggio was left off some ballots because of the 10 slot rule. If you have no problem voting for guys who were caught using PEDs then leaving Biggio off the ballot completely is somewhat justifiable although I don't personally agree with that.

I don't get the "best of the era" argument. This isn't the Hall of the 90's. You aren't comparing Craig Biggio to Jody Reed, you're comparing him to Rogers Hornsby and Jackie Robinson.

And if you are more upset about Craig Biggio than Barry Bonds you're an asshole.

I think Bonds not being in the Hall is a joke but I've already come to terms with the fact he's never getting in, at least not through this process, because he got caught doing PEDs.

I don't agree with that rationale but at least I understand it. I don't understand how people are not voting for guys because MAYBE they could have done steroids and they played in the "steroid era" so they aren't voting for any of those guys.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Forced to vote for people not worthy? Thats a terrible idea and will just make the hall of fame more bloated. Better idea is not having a limit, why is there even a limit?

Yeah there is no reason for a limit. The notion that everybody will get into the HOF without a limit makes no sense when you still have the 75% threshold anyway.

3N16MA

Banned
Bagwell, Mussina, Schilling, Piazza should be in. Glavine gets 90% while Mussina and Schilling get snubbed. Glavine deserves it but he is also boosted in comparison to his competition because of the teams he played for and the rotation he was in.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bagwell, Mussina, Schilling, Piazza should be in. Glavine gets 90% while Mussina and Schilling get snubbed. Glavine deserves it but he is also boosted in comparison to his competition because of the teams he played for and the rotation he was in.

And also because he had a strike zone 8 inches wider than the rest of his peers.

If somebody refused to vote for Maddux and Glavine because they were cheaters they would have my respect.

Zep

Banned
I would take Mitch in a second. That guy has tons of stories to tell about Dutch and Nails. He could easily fill a season with stories about 93.

Comcast will probably play it safe and go with Davis or Ricky. Either one combined with tmac will force me to sync the radio with my TV.

Malvingt2

300 wins is a huge number tho. I know a lot of people do not agree with that in here but it is.

And also because he had a strike zone 8 inches wider than the rest of his peers.

If somebody refused to vote for Maddux and Glavine because they were cheaters they would have my respect.

wut?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

The Braves starters had a notoriously wide strike zone back in the 90s. They also got caught cheating making the catches box wider (which would help with framing) in one specific game.

I'm joking but they should probably make Glavine's plaque a couple inches wider than everybody elses.

I thought he got fired?

No, his TV contract was up with YES and they're not renewing it, but he's just moving to MSG.

Anyway, I think he was arguing that Biggio's lifetime OBP is only a result of him having so many at-bats. Which is so dumb that I'm not sure if I correctly understood his misunderstanding.

Syrinx

Good for Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas. They deserve it.

Biggio, Piazza, and Bagwell should have gotten in. As should Bonds and Clemens.

I never said he did but don't use wins a reason why someone should be a HOF.

stop embarrasing Dominican GAF

People are crying for Craig Biggio missing the HoF? What planet is this?

go back to what you do best, ruining hot dogs with mustard.

I don't get it. If everybody in NY hates Fatcesca, how does he stay on the air making millions a year?

NY is a really big state. unfortunately there are a lot of mouth breathers who consider themselves "knowledgeable" about sports. and drink coke in copious amounts like Fatcesa. and are old and angry like him.

Zep

Banned
Le Batard would rip Heyman a new asshole if they were to get on the air together.

Someone needs to make that happen.

stop embarrasing Dominican GAF

go back to what you do best, ruining hot dogs with mustard.

NY is a really big state. unfortunately there are a lot of mouth breathers who consider themselves "knowledgeable" about sports. and drink coke in copious amounts like Fatcesa. and are old and angry like him.

man, stfu.

Because people were getting caught far more often. Were there stores if any player in previous eras being caught of using illegal substances?

What are you talking about? Players going back to at least the '50s used amphetamines. There were literally bowls of them in every clubhouse. Just look up "greenies". If that doesn't do it for you, try looking up the cocaine scandals of the '70s and '80s. Plenty of players were caught up in that, and off the top of my head, at least one guy (Paul Molitor) had no trouble getting into the HoF.

It was only when a guy sportswriters didn't like because he treated them like the jokes they are went and broke the home run record that people started getting all strict about what players were putting in their bodies.

dionysus

Yaldog
What are you talking about? Players going back to at least the '50s used amphetamines. There were literally bowls of them in every clubhouse. Just look up "greenies". If that doesn't do it for you, try looking up the cocaine scandals of the '70s and '80s. Plenty of players were caught up in that, and off the top of my head, at least one guy (Paul Molitor) had no trouble getting into the HoF.

It was only when a guy sportswriters didn't like because he treated them like the jokes they are went and broke the home run record that people started getting all strict about what players were putting in their bodies.

But the purity of the game man! Baseball has always been a gentleman trailblazing human rights sport that represents the best of humanity.

Now that I am done with sarcasm, if the greatest player of all time, Bonds, doesn't get in you might as well burn the HoF down.

jakncoke

Banned
Why exactly does anyone think Biggio did PED?

But the purity of the game man! Baseball has always been a gentleman trailblazing human rights sport that represents the best of humanity.

Now that I am done with sarcasm, if the greatest player of all time, Bonds, doesn't get in you might as well burn the HoF down.

Barry Bonds is the new Pete Rose. Media will never let them in

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Uh.. where did I ever say there weren't users back then?

I'm asking if they were caught/ostracized like they are today. Because all I've ever heard was about this particular era and how it tarnished the game.

Why exactly does anyone think Biggio did PED?

Because he played in that tainted era, so obviously he must have been using.

Top Bottom