• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

JCizzle

Those signs. :lol

I wonder if A-Rod paid those people to hold those signs.

On an unrelated note, the Phillies are going to be signing a new TV deal soon. Amaro without any fear of the luxury tax will be interesting.

They're all the same hand writing, they're plants by him or his agent.

Pryce

As a Dodgers fan, I wouldn't mind Manny Acta. Forward thinking manager.

Instead we'll probably hire Dusty Baker so we can bunt until the end of time.

With that payroll and pitching staff A chimp could manage the Dodgers to 90 wins and the West title every year. The one place where a manager could we himself apart is in-game strategy and Donnie sucks at that. Dodgers are smart to play hardball with him as he is nothing special. The only advantage he carries is the idea of not disrupting chemistry. Dodgers should just hire one of Tampa's bench coaches and call it a day.

3N16MA

Banned
With that payroll and pitching staff A chimp could manage the Dodgers to 90 wins and the West title every year. The one place where a manager could we himself apart is in-game strategy and Donnie sucks at that. Dodgers are smart to play hardball with him as he is nothing special. The only advantage he carries is the idea of not disrupting chemistry. Dodgers should just hire one of Tampa's bench coaches and call it a day.

Dave Martinez has interviewed for jobs before but never gets picked. He will eventually get a managerial job.

Sanjuro

John Farrell and Clint Hurdle, Managers of the Year.

American League (voting by only AL managers)

1. John Farrell, Boston Red Sox-5

2. Terry Francona, Cleveland Indians-3

3. Bob Melvin, Oakland A’s-1

4. Ron Washington, Texas Rangers-1

National League (voting by only NL managers)

1. Clint Hurdle, Pittsburgh Pirates-5

2. Fredi Gonzalez, Atlanta Braves-3

3. Mike Matheny, St. Louis Cardinals-1

3N16MA

Banned

Girardi carried a bunch of AAAA players and Vernon Wells to a winning record. Did I mention Vernon Wells?

3N16MA

Banned
...does that even matter? Why would they give a fourth place team that award?

Not saying he should win it outright but I believe Girardi did a better job than Ron Washington. Should also point out that getting into the post season should not be the only factor in winning that award. If the Astros had a 84-78 record, Bo Porter should win.

Sanjuro

Not saying he should win it outright but I believe Girardi did a better job than Ron Washington. Should also point out that getting into the post season should not be the only factor in winning that award. If the Astros had a 84-78 record, Bo Porter should win.

No he shouldn't.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I hate the Yankees and completely agree that the 4th best managerial job this season in the AL was Girardi. That team played above their level by quite a bit.

For the same reasoning if they did the reverse of this I'd give whomever the fuck was the manager of the Blue Jays the nod for being the worst manager of the year in the AL.

3N16MA

Banned
What they looking for?

Not sure, but I guess they want to move him after a down year and $20.5M left on his contract if the option is picked up. Tells me that they don't plan on picking up the option and would rather just move him now.

Supposedly the Mariners and O's had interest last off season.

"You have to use statistical analysis to understand certain themes. I don’t understand the match-up theme. Lefty on lefty reliever and righty on righty reliever. You have to put your best reliever out there in situations and trust that he will get the job done, regardless of match-ups."

Ladies and gentleman, Bryan Price.

I feel like he just put Dusty on blast.

Edwardo

fyi, this is the Sporting News Manager of the Year awards. The Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) awards come in November I believe.

Sanjuro

I hate the Yankees and completely agree that the 4th best managerial job this season in the AL was Girardi. That team played above their level by quite a bit.

For the same reasoning if they did the reverse of this I'd give whomever the fuck was the manager of the Blue Jays the nod for being the worst manager of the year in the AL.

Not buying it. Yankees underachieved. The revisionist history of where the Red Sox and Yankees were supposed to fall is already astounding. You never saw me pumping Tito's tires in failed seasons.

I don't think Girardi is a good manager by any means ans fits New York a bit poorly. That being said, this season is on Cashman. The team is constructed as a rolling tribute to the 90s at the moment and they aren't even terribly bad. Also, no..Nunez is not a future HoFer or even future SS.

3N16MA

Banned
Not buying it. Yankees underachieved. The revisionist history of where the Red Sox and Yankees were supposed to fall is already astounding. You never saw me pumping Tito's tires in failed seasons.

I don't think Girardi is a good manager by any means ans fits New York a bit poorly. That being said, this season is on Cashman. The team is constructed as a rolling tribute to the 90s at the moment and they aren't even terribly bad. Also, no..Nunez is not a future HoFer or even future SS.

Please refrain from bad mouthing Nunez. You will be sorry when he wins the 2016 AL MVP.

EDIT: Lincecum deal is for 2/35 with a NTC.

Malo

Banned

Underachieved? Yeah, no. With the crap ton of injuries, the A-Rod drama, the starting rotation being inconsistent and unreliable, and having to play scrubs like Vernon Wells, Nuñez, Chris Stewart, Overbay, Ichiro, and Jayson Nix the majority of the season, we actually overachieved.

We had a negative run differential of - 21 and our pythad record had us a under 500 team. Girardi took a bunch of mediocre talent to a 85-77 record. That's the textbook definition of overachieving.

Top Bottom