• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Postseason 2013 |OT| - Chicken n Beer-less Diet

lucius

I still think Craig trips up without Middlebrooks lefting his back legs and gets thrown out at plate, but let me ask when you are pushing up to get up as quickly as you can you never curl your back legs feet up, he clearly did that stupidly, it was the right call, even though Craig would have still trip up imo, and been thrown out at plate.

Link

The Autumn Wind
From all the angles I've seen, no. Really isn't. He gimped up halfway through 2nd to 3rd and was struggling to push off his food.
The play at the plate was closer than the time lost by Craig from tripping. It's pretty simple math.

Opiate

From all the angles I've seen, no. Really isn't. He gimped up halfway through 2nd to 3rd and was struggling to push off his foot.

And lost 2-3 seconds from a trip. He was out by < 1 second. It's a pretty straightforward calculation.

Again, it seems very unfair for a team to profit from tripping a player up. It's a frustrating situation either way, I understand.

ReMaKe

Why? If a batter is unintentionally hit by a pitch it still counts. Or if a runner is hit by a batted ball on the basepaths, he's out, even though that's unintentional.

And how do you know it's intentional or not?

If the batter INTENTIONALLY gets in the way of the pitch, he is not awarded a base.

Same way you knoe when a batter intentionaly gets in the way of the ball.
Of course, some times it's not so obvious.
On the middlebrooks play, you can obviously tell that wasn't intentional. He tripped, couldn't move.
If he were standing up, that's a different story.

aFIGurANT

Love that the ump isnt even looking and makes the call

The home plate Ump made the call - did you miss that bit at the end where he pointed and called Craig safe?

This game was meant for the Cards, suck it up and lace up the spikes for tomorrow and quit whining, it's one game is my opinion. You can't let guys on third all game and expect to still win, the law of averages says we earned that run.

hemtae

You really think Allen Craig was trying to hold Middlebrooks down? Or that it made a difference? Like if he hadn't put his hands on him, Middlebrooks would've immediately gotten out of the way? You really think he deliberately tripped on Middlebrooks to draw the obstruction call, something that almost never happens? Watch the play in real time instead of slow-mo and still frames. It's clear that the only thing going through his mind is "OH SHIT I GOTTA GO TO HOME"

If intent doesn't matter on the obstruction, then why does it matter on the alleged forced obstruction?

JCizzle

Beyond that one play, the umpiring was a disgrace all night for both teams. The ump had no fucking clue what was a ball or strike all night, wildly missing on pretty critical pitches throughout the game. Bring on the robots.

zychi

Banned
The home plate Ump made the call - did you miss that bit at the end where he pointed and called Craig safe?

This game was meant for the Cards, suck it up and lace up the spikes for tomorrow and quit whining, it's one game is my opinion. You can't let guys on third all game and expect to still win, the law of averages says we earned that run.

Did you miss the bit where he was pointing to the third base ump who made the original call? Sometimes I feel like you guys aren't even watching the same game

cashman

Banned
And lost 2-3 seconds from a trip. He was out by < 1 second. It's a pretty straightforward calculation.

Again, it seems very unfair for a team to profit from tripping a player up. It's a frustrating situation either way, I understand.

He didn't lost that much time from the trip, that was just from getting up.

You don't watch much nba, soccer or nfl do you? Flopping is huge in sports lately

Apples to oranges and you know it. Watch the play in real time and try to look at it objectively. Craig looks behind him to see where the ball goes and whether he has a chance at home. He turns around clearly unaware that Middlebrooks is splayed out in front of him. He clearly stumbles unintentionally. I don't see how you could think he was flopping, especially in such a bizarre situation. He has a VERY GOOD chance of scoring if there is no trip, it would be insane for him to try to draw an extremely rare obstruction call rather than run his ass off for the score.

If intent doesn't matter on the obstruction, then why does it matter on the alleged forced obstruction?

There is no such thing as a forced obstruction. Craig has a right to a clear basepath. Craig can't even force an obstruction like you claim if there isn't an obstruction to begin with! You think if he doesn't put his hands on Middlebrooks "holding him down" that Middlebrooks gets up and out of the way in the .1 second before Craig is running through him?

Link

The Autumn Wind
He wasn't tripped though. He fell on Middlebrooks. Doesn't change the fact that he was obstructed by the ruling.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying intent by using the term "tripping." I don't think Middlebrooks was trying to hold Craig up. It was an unfortunate circumstance, but the proper call was made.

Opiate

He didn't lost that much time from the trip, that was just from getting up.

It looks very clear that he lost notably more time from being tripped than was available when the ball hit the plate. (And as others have said, I'm not suggesting the trip was necessarily on purpose).

Put differently, it was a close play even without Craig being tripped. Surely it stands to reason he would have been safe if he had not fallen and lost all momentum between the bases.

aFIGurANT

Did you miss the bit where he was pointing to the third base ump who made the original call? Sometimes I feel like you guys aren't even watching the same game

Pretty sure I feel the same way. He was pointing at the play at third is what I got from that. Although I saw Jim Joyce backing up the call in the press conference and yes he was the third base ump. It looked to me like the HP ump made it all the way though.

zychi

Banned
Apples to oranges and you know it. Watch the play in real time and try to do look at it objectively. Craig looks behind him to see where the ball goes and whether he has a chance at home. He turns around clearly unaware that Middlebrooks is splayed out in front of him. He clearly stumbles unintentionally. I don't see how you could think he was flopping, especially in such a bizarre situation. He has a VERY GOOD chance of scoring if there is no trip, it would be insane for him to try to draw an extremely rare obstruction call rather than run his ass off for the score.

Ump doesn't see the inital contact between Craig and Middlebrooks, he's watching the ball. Craig initiated it, he could've went around, or jumped over, his bad ankle/leg makes him slip and lose traction, he does it again after he gets passed Middlebrooks. It's a terrible call and the game should have gone to extra innings.

Chuck

Still without luck
Before he "trips"
BXjpKXGIUAAZvv4.jpg

Inside the baseline,
doesn't matter
no one forced him to go to home,
doesn't matter
he went backwards from third
doesn't matter
shouldn't he have to touch the bag again before taking off for home?
no

Great call by the umps. Gotta give them their propers.

Ziek

I hope Buchholz is on his game tomorrow. This phantom injury stuff is haunting me. How's the cards pitcher tomorrow?

Sanjuro

If this was Game 7, yes. It would be frustrating. Not an elimination game though.

It's not just the calculation. You're taking into account that he was tripped. Middlebrooks doesn't lift his legs, same result. Craig avoids the downed player, same result.

He took out Middlebrooks and struggled to get up and move on his gimpy foot. It's playing the "what if?" game, but everything there points towards him making a slow approach to the plate.

Salty's terrible throw remains the only constant.

Apples to oranges and you know it. Watch the play in real time and try to do look at it objectively. Craig looks behind him to see where the ball goes and whether he has a chance at home. He turns around clearly unaware that Middlebrooks is splayed out in front of him. He clearly stumbles unintentionally. I don't see how you could think he was flopping, especially in such a bizarre situation. He has a VERY GOOD chance of scoring if there is no trip, it would be insane for him to try to draw an extremely rare obstruction call rather than run his ass off for the score.
Yes, this exactly. No comparison whatsoever to "flopping" in basketball. Foul calls are made dozens of time in every basketball game. These kinds of calls are rare in baseball. Allen Craig would need to have a baseball IQ through the roof and posses an ability to slow space-time in order to think of something like that in the moment.

Enron

Banned
Ump doesn't see the inital contact between Craig and Middlebrooks, he's watching the ball. Craig initiated it, he could've went around, or jumped over, his bad ankle/leg makes him slip and lose traction, he does it again after he gets passed Middlebrooks. It's a terrible call and the game should have gone to extra innings.

Are you guys ignoring all the posts quoting the rulebook on purpose?

The play on the field is almost the textbook definition of the rule!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Put differently, it was a close play even without Craig being tripped. Surely it stands to reason he would have been safe if he had not fallen and lost all momentum between the bases.

No.

No guaranteed he'd be safe without the obstruction. The throw was strong to home and the catcher blocked the plate really well.

It doesn't matter though as the obstruction happened. Its just guessing on if he'd have made it in or not without the obstruction as it would have been close anyways.

Bottom line is don't miss the ball.

If you are in the act of fielding, it's all good. Once you miss the ball, you had best not be in anyone's way, even if you were legally in their way when you were still in the act of fielding. The rules are against you at that point.

So don't miss the ball.

DarkFlow

Banned
Are you guys ignoring all the posts quoting the rulebook on purpose?

The play on the field is almost the textbook definition of the rule!

Since when has MLB every been by the book, and why are you harping it now? It's always been called by old men with bad eye sight who use the rule book loosely.

He doesn't have to. What you're suggesting would allow a fielder to lie down on a basepath to slow down a runner heading to home by forcing him to run around him or jump over him or else risk tripping.

Since when has MLB every been by the book, and why are you harping it now? It's always been called by old men with bad eye sight who use the rule book loosely.

So the rules should only apply if they benefit your team? This is a losing argument. There's not a precedent here of looking the other way or bending the rules like the neighborhood play. The umps called a bizarre play by the book. You can't fault them.

h1nch

Well the last few pages of this thread were a nice bonus to the exciting ending to the game! I also think the correct call was made.

Don't have a dog in this fight, just hoping for an exciting series. Hoping we get another close game tomorrow night!

No less than Johnny Bench just said on Twitter that the game was lost on a bad decision to throw to third. Baseball, more than most sports, is about correct execution. That's why they track errors in baseball. Mistakes matter. Sometimes they matter a hell of a lot. This was one of those times. Blame Salty, not the rule book.

Or just think of it as Tuck Rule Karma if we're blaming the rule book.

Salty screwed Salty.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Seriously? When has MLB not been by the book?

I liked it better when Boston fans weren't spoiled jerks.

ReMaKe

It's all good, we got game 4 tomorrow. John Farrell, Put Ross and Drew in. As bad as Drew is offensively, we would have won if he was still in the game. Shane should bat 7th, And pinch hit for napoli! Especially in the 9th inning of a game, instead of your reliever.

Ziek

How do Cards fans feel about their bullpen now after this game? Same or slightly worried?

I'm pretty much in the heart attack column for the Red Sox bullpen.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

So essentially you wanted Craig to make a detour around an obstacle that was in his way.

Hmm...

Top Bottom