• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT2| - Revenge of the Umpires

I was in a bar so the sound wasn't on, but as far as I know Rosenthal was available. My brother's Yahoo sports fantasy tracker thing even said to start Rosenthal since he was the default closer with Chief getting the night off.

Cards optioned Michael Blazek to AAA to make room for Wacha today. Hopefully he didn't get all the way to Memphis before getting a call to make a U-turn and head on back.
I'm just giving Matheny the benefit of the doubt (as hard as that is in light of his decisions tonight) that perhaps some issue came up with him that made him unavailable. Because otherwise, if Boggs is higher in the pecking order than Rosenthal, Matheny is a much worse manager than I thought. If your setup guy is available to pitch, he should be the first one up in the ninth of a one run ballgame if your closer can't go.

I don't think you can immediately recall somebody who was just sent down unless there's an injury. Maybe they can take a look at Boggs' arm/shoulder and find something though...

bozeman

I'm just giving Matheny the benefit of the doubt (as hard as that is in light of his decisions tonight) that perhaps some issue came up with him that made him unavailable. Because otherwise, if Boggs is higher in the pecking order than Rosenthal, Matheny is a much worse manager than I thought. If your setup guy is available to pitch, he should be the first one up in the ninth of a one run ballgame if your closer can't go.

I don't think you can immediately recall somebody who was just sent down unless there's an injury. Maybe they can take a look at Boggs' arm/shoulder and find something though...

I'm sure they'll find something right after they shove a knife right through his bicep.

Really though, it shouldn't have come to this. Cards left 9 runners on and didn't come through with RISP like they have been. Still, you can't have a pitcher in the pen who you only trust when the game has a 5 run differential. Time for Mitch to go.

Still, you can't have a pitcher in the pen who you only trust when the game has a 5 run differential. Time for Mitch to go.
This is pretty much the story of our 2013 bullpen. Between Boggs, Kelly, Salas, Scrabble, and now Marte, we have too many mop-up/gas-can guys. We can get away with having 2 of them on the roster but not 3+ of them at a time.

According to the rules, since the top of the 9th was never completed and the visiting team took the lead, the game has to be suspended if it doesn't continue tonight. So no, the Royals would not win if it was called.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Never date a Mets fan when you are a Yankee Fan kids.

Week has been hell
Feel free to send her my way.

According to the rules, since the top of the 9th was never completed and the visiting team took the lead, the game has to be suspended if it doesn't continue tonight. So no, the Royals would not win if it was called.
I'm starting to think you guys don't listen to me.

Feel free to send her my way.

0NZO4.gif

devilhawk

Many of those comments on @BestFansStLouis are pretty indefensible. Weird infatuation with people's sexuality and an obsession with calling themselves the "best fans in baseball" over and over again.

Man, if the Royals lose despite winning 4-2, it'll be the most Royals loss of all time.
Also, a complete crock of shit.

I'm going to bed. Royals Twitter nation is still in full force, haha. Even the mayor of KC is still up and waiting.

Man, if the Royals lose despite winning 4-2, it'll be the most Royals game of all time.

I'm going to bed. Royals Twitter nation is still in full force, haha. Even the mayor of KC is still up and waiting.

I saw clips of George Brett in the dugout during the 9th inning. He really should be the manager.

I kind of expect it to happen, deep down. I think about a month from now, Ned gets canned, George takes it, and we hire somebody else (probably Kevin Seitzer) to be hitting coach.

alstein

it will, Chris Johnson has been incredibly lucky on balls in play. He will shit the bed, if he hasn't begun already. Not to mention now we have no power threat from the left side of the plate off the bench.

You got whoever is not playing between Heyward and Schafer- They're not 30HR guys , but they get on base more.

I would have dumped Reed first.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=27595151

That was a great call

EDIT:
ESPN.com said:
• Robinson Cano and Jordany Valdespin hail from the same town in the Dominican Republic.

“I would like to see him play every day,” Cano told Anthony McCarron in the Daily News about Valdespin. “I guarantee he’d do a good job. He loves this game. He’d have good numbers. He’s got power. He’s a contact hitter. He swings hard, but he might learn. The more you play, the more you learn what situations to use a long swing or swing for a homer or go the other way. It’s easier when you play every day. …

“Sometimes you’ve got to calm down a little bit. But that’s the way he plays the game. [Nick] Swisher, too, plays the same way, with a lot of energy, always laughing. When you’re on the other side, you might say, ‘Who does this guy [Swisher] think he is?’ But when you’re with him on the same team, you know what kind of guy he is -- one of the great teammates you could ever have.”

Askani

"16 I prayed to the BRETT, saying, 17 Oh Lord BRETT! Behold, you have made the Playoffs and the World Series by your great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for you."

The Brett has cast his gaze upon us to lift us up on high! The Brett fixed Frenchy! The Brett will fix everyone! All hail the Brett! Praised be his name!

ToxicAdam

Went to my first Indians game of the year last night. First time sitting in the club seats in about 10 years (comped tickets).

Holy shit at all the free food they throw at you in that section. A buffett with pork tenderloin, risotto, asparagus tips, some kind of bean thing and then all the other standard ballpark fare (hamburgers, dogs, brats, fries, nachos, peanuts, ice cream, etc) that you can get at any time. My impacted colon still hurts.

It was a weird game, not much action than that crazy string of consecutive hits in the 4th. Bailey wasn't really pitching bad, the Indians just waited back on his curve and poked the ball all around the yard.

The ironic thing is that the Indians almost ran themselves out of that inning. I have no idea why Brantley is allowed to steal 3rd with 2 outs. It serves no purpose and only has a downside.

If Dom Brown doesnt get a walk in tonights game he will become the 1st player in history to have double digits homeruns in a month in which he got no walks. It is pretty crazy that no one has ever done that before.

Hideki Matsui will sign a one-day, minor league contract with the Yankees on July 28 and retire as a Yankee. It will be "Hideki Matsui Day" at Yankee Stadium and the first 18,000 fans get bobbleheads portraying him with his 2009 World Series MVP trophy.

The Yankees picked this game because it was the 55th home game of the season. Matsui wore #55 for the Yankees.

BFIB

Went to my first Indians game of the year last night. First time sitting in the club seats in about 10 years (comped tickets).

Holy shit at all the free food they throw at you in that section. A buffett with pork tenderloin, risotto, asparagus tips, some kind of bean thing and then all the other standard ballpark fare (hamburgers, dogs, brats, fries, nachos, peanuts, ice cream, etc) that you can get at any time. My impacted colon still hurts.

It was a weird game, not much action than that crazy string of consecutive hits in the 4th. Bailey wasn't really pitching bad, the Indians just waited back on his curve and poked the ball all around the yard.

The ironic thing is that the Indians almost ran themselves out of that inning. I have no idea why Brantley is allowed to steal 3rd with 2 outs. It serves no purpose and only has a downside.

I absolutely love The Jake. My personal favorite ballpark to watch a game in. Though that may be usurped by Camden later this year when I finally get to Baltimore.

MiKeD

Banned
Eric Chavez to the DL. At this moment the batters on the DL for my Fan.team are Kemp, Stanton, Utley, Victorino and Chavez. Beautiful.

Lost in the shitshow that was the ninth inning, Wacha had a pretty decent debut last night. 7 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 0 BB, 6 K. Pitched about as advertised - good fastball command, great change, shaky curve. Anxious to see how the front office juggles the innings between all the rookies in the rotation down the stretch. The team with the most pitching depth going into the season might have to trade for an innings eater at the deadline.

devilhawk

Did they really finish up that game after 3am local time? That sucks for the Royals.
But they win. And if gave me entertainment to watch the slowest groundscrew in sports. And for there to be more KC fans than Cardinals. And it be so dead that cleanup crews were in the background. And you could hear the radio broadcast being played in the bathrooms echoing onto the field.

Turned out to be the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Yeah, haha. It's funny that we've been goaded for so long for having more red than blue at the K during the interstate series every year. But last night, for the first time ever, there were more Royals fans than Cards at Busch. Even if it was only for half an inning at 3:15 am.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask... is Pittsburgh full of turncoat Phillies fans who want to root for the more successful team from across the state? Or does that just happen to us?

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask... is Pittsburgh full of turncoat Phillies fans who want to root for the more successful team from across the state? Or does that just happen to us?

I dont think there are many Phillies fans in Pittsburgh. That side of the state has a bit of a rivalry with the East side. Plus the Pirates used to be really successful and people in PA arnt the type to have 2 teams or just jump ship when things dont go well. You never see any Steelers fans in Philly, even though the Steelers are one of the top franchises in the NFL.

Yeah, haha. It's funny that we've been goaded for so long for having more red than blue at the K during the interstate series every year. But last night, for the first time ever, there were more Royals fans than Cards at Busch. Even if it was only for half an inning at 3:15 am.
Those who stayed through the rain delay are truly hardcore but I guess bandwagon fans are few and far between in KC.

Ugh, here's how bad things have been for Toronto this year:

# of wins: 23
# of pitchers used: 27

By comparison, the Reds have used 19 pitchers since Opening Day 2012. And over that time span, the Jays have used 49 pitchers. 49!

BFIB

Its because at 3:15 am the safest place to be in St. Louis is Busch Stadium.

Damn, that loss last night still stinging.

Top Bottom