• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

Adams and Wacca have to make the playoff roster. The Cardinals are gonna be good for so many years. smh
It's almost a given that they'll make the roster. Craig is likely out for the year so Adams is the starting 1B. Wacha is a lock for the postseason barring injury. Only question is if he'll be pitching from the pen or from the rotation.

RGVNOE

It's almost a given that they'll make the roster. Craig is likely out for the year so Adams is the starting 1B. Wacha is a lock for the postseason barring injury. Only question is if he'll be pitching from the pen or from the rotation.

He should be the #4 guy with Lynn heading to the pen, we'll see what Matheny does though he seems to like Lynn

Nice win to complete the season sweep. Guess Davey Johnson's dreams of playing spoiler will have to wait another day. NL Central title now a two-team race with the Reds eliminated from the divisional title.

He should be the #4 guy with Lynn heading to the pen, we'll see what Matheny does though he seems to like Lynn
I think he secretly hates him, seeing how many times he's let Lynn melt down on the mound this season.

BobbleGate

While the Yankees did a fine job of even coming up with a contingency plan when the coveted figurines failed to arrive in time for the start of the game, printing 18,000 vouchers in the afternoon, the fact that the privileged few were not inconvenienced while the great unwashed masses were left to scrounge and grovel like rats illustrates what long-time Yankees fans hate about the new park.

This is where the Wild Card #2 really fucks up late-season drama. Instead of the Reds and Pirates going down to the wire for one spot and the Pirates vying for their first playoff spot since 1992, the Pirates are "already in the playoffs" and there's no drama at all for this final series.

I'm sorry, but making the Wild Card game doesn't feel like "making it" to the playoffs.

jakncoke

Banned
This is where the Wild Card #2 really fucks up late-season drama. Instead of the Reds and Pirates going down to the wire for one spot and the Pirates vying for their first playoff spot since 1992, the Pirates are "already in the playoffs" and there's no drama at all for this final series.

I'm sorry, but making the Wild Card game doesn't feel like "making it" to the playoffs.

Still drama over who is at home though. Pirates could in theory still extend their streak of not having a home playoff game if Reds get WC1 and we lose the fans wont get to see a home playoff game

edit; fuck this cubs announcer. in so many words basically said mlb should do a nba style draft. fuck that. the lottery is the biggest joke ever.

edit; lets do this!

edit; really marte..

They should get rid of the wild card entirely, fuck divisions too, I want to go back to the way it used to be with just the two conferences and the team in each conference with the best record played in the WS. I'm sick of all this new-age hipster bullshit fucking up my game.

Friggz

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9717908/a-21-stat-salute-mariano-rivera

More Mariano love...

This is my favorite.

THE LEADING MAN: Finally, for all these years, Joe Torre and Joe Girardi have pretty much run every game they've managed with one thought: Hand a lead to Rivera, kick back and start loving life. It's worked out kind of well, I'd say. Over these last 19 seasons, the Yankees have handed Rivera a lead in 914 different regular-season games. Their record in those games? How about 868-46, the Elias Sports Bureau tells us. That's a .950 winning percentage. They've placed 68 more leads in his hands in the postseason -- and gone 64-4. That's a .941 winning percentage. You realize, right, that pretty much nothing in life or baseball is 95 percent certain to happen? But winning a game when you hand Mariano Rivera a lead to protect?

They should get rid of the wild card entirely, fuck divisions too, I want to go back to the way it used to be with just the two conferences and the team in each conference with the best record played in the WS. I'm sick of all this new-age hipster bullshit fucking up my game.

Yea, I like who ever has the best record wins the pennant. It makes the season into one big ass playoff series. No more interleague play also.

jakncoke

Banned
Yea, I like who ever has the best record wins the pennant. It makes the season into one big ass playoff series. No more interleague play also.

lol this would make mr.enigma heart explode too. if you look back on history when this was the way the world series were set up teams had it wrapped up so early lol no drama for your llama in those cases. honestly dont see why you old farts cry about it all. although one thing find a bit off putting is the 1 game play in. thats rather dumb to me, have it a whole series or something idk, but baseball isnt a 1 and done sport so why have the wc teams to that.

lol this would make mr.enigma heart explode too. if you look back on history when this was the way the world series were set up teams had it wrapped up so early lol no drama for your llama in those cases. honestly dont see why you old farts cry about it all. although one thing find a bit off putting is the 1 game play in. thats rather dumb to me, have it a whole series or something idk, but baseball isnt a 1 and done sport so why have the wc teams to that.

How crushed are you going to be when the Pirates lose the play in game?

jakncoke

Banned
How crushed are you going to be when the Pirates lose the play in game?

It would be a disappointment no doubt, but this team has done things Ive never seen before and made big steps forward. Just 4 years ago we won a mere 57 games, the last 2 seasons we completely choked the playoffs away. To win 92-93 games and be in the playoffs is a nice stepping stone for the future. And I know you enjoy trolling me because of Phillies sucess and what not, but smd who in the playoffs THIS year and who drinking box wine on the other side of the state beside Jersey or wherever you call home!

although one thing find a bit off putting is the 1 game play in. thats rather dumb to me, have it a whole series or something idk, but baseball isnt a 1 and done sport so why have the wc teams to that.
incentive to win the division

seriously, if they balanced the schedules, the current format would be perfect

It would be a disappointment no doubt, but this team has done things Ive never seen before and made big steps forward. Just 4 years ago we won a mere 57 games, the last 2 seasons we completely choked the playoffs away. To win 92-93 games and be in the playoffs is a nice stepping stone for the future. And I know you enjoy trolling me because of Phillies sucess and what not, but smd who in the playoffs THIS year and who drinking box wine on the other side of the state beside Jersey or wherever you call home!

Speaking of Philles, what the hell happened to Doc the other day? His career might be over, how many more years on his contract?

The two ideas I like for the Wild Card game:

#1 - If you keep the Wild Card game as a one-game playoff, give WC#1 a choice: play it in their park with a 0-0 start or play it in WC#2's part with a pre-start run advantage based on how many games they are head of WC#2.

#2 - Make it a three-game series with all three games played at WC#1's part. Play Games 1 and 2 as a doubleheader and play Game 3 the next night if necessary.

Halladay is a free agent after this year. He pushed himself to come back before the end of the season in a vain attempt to get another contract after the season. He really did try, but it's just not going to work.

Coming back this soon was not an injury risk. He just didn't have the arm stength. He wasn't throwing any harder than 83mph the other night when Sandberg took him out in the first inning.

EDIT: Halladay has a 2014 club option worth $20 million, but you can bet Amaro will decline it. It would have become automatic had he pitched either 225 innings in 2013 or a combined 415 innings in 2012-2013, neither of which happened.

jakncoke

Banned

#1 - If you keep the Wild Card game as a one-game playoff, give WC#1 a choice: play it in their park with a 0-0 start or play it in WC#2's part with a pre-start run advantage based on how many games they are head of WC#2.

#2 - Make it a three-game series with all three games played at WC#1's part. Play Games 1 and 2 as a doubleheader and play Game 3 the next night if necessary.

Option 2 seems more sane to me

There would have to be a big break between the WC and divisonal round if they played 3 games in 2 days. The winning teams staff would be in disarray.

3N16MA

Banned
Also start giving the team with the better record home field in the WS. It would go back and forth between the leagues before the ASG nonsense but I like having the team with the better record getting home field.

jakncoke

Banned
There would have to be a big break between the WC and divisonal round if they played 3 games in 2 days. The winning teams staff would be in disarray.

Okay how it is now the wc games are tues and wed. why couldnt those be dh and 3rd game the next day then have next round start on the weekend?

Number two sounds cool but I don't think they will change it. Too much of a TV hit.

Malvingt2

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman
The umps are going to have to explain this one. From what we could see, Freeman didn't do anything but yell back at Gomez

jakncoke

Banned
The Yankees started 9 different pitchers this season and rotation looks like hot garbage. So what pitchers can be FA that Yankees will buy

The Braves open the season next year against the Brewers. You can bet Gomez is going to catch a fastball somewhere on his body in Game #1.

Top Bottom