• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

I always found it amazing that breaking one of baseball's "Rules of Etiquette" was bad, but to rectify it pitchers routinely break another of baseball's "Rules of Etiquette"...

Stare at a home run too long? Fastball at your head.
Laugh a little too loud? Fastball at your head.
Celebrate with your teammates over a GW hit? Fastball at your head.
Hit a homer off a pitcher that hit you with a fastball earlier... OH YOU BETTER BELIEVE THAT'S A FASTBALL AT YOUR HEAD.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
McCann is such a little shit.

Braves bullshit is so pathetic. If you don't want people staring at bombs they hit then stop giving up said bombs.

eznark

Banned
That's not why McCann did what he did. Yet another dipshit who obviously needs to actually watch the footage or needs their eyes checked badly.

Next uninformed goofball, please.

i9M2O3HLysMP5.gif

Enron

Banned
McCann blocking home plate just because Gomez hit a fucking BOMB is the most chickenshit move I've ever seen.

Cool so getting your feelings hurt makes it okay to pull bullshit like McCann did? Braves are an organization of pussies.

Yeah, you guys need to see the whole 5 minutes or so of that incident before saying things like this. Gomez was staring down Maholm before and during that at bat even before he hit the homer. Once he hit it, he hollered wildly and watched the ball and proceeded to stare at Maholm during his walk to first base and then started jawing at him before he hit the bag and Freeman started in on him, telling him to "fucking run, goddamnit". He kept barking at Maholm on his way around 2nd and as he was rounding 3rd when Mac decided to come out and say hello. The whole time Maholm didn't say anything, or appeared to not say anything. After the benches came out, Reed Johnson threw a punch, but the umps thought it was Freeman and tossed him out of the game.

Cool so getting your feelings hurt makes it okay to pull bullshit like McCann did? Braves are an organization of pussies.

The fucking guy TALKED SHIT TO EVERYBODY THE ENTIRE WAY AROUND THE BASES. On what fucking planet is that behavior acceptable in anything?

I've never seen such a collection of clueless cunt opinions in this thread ever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's obviously a coincidence that the Braves have gotten in stupid fights over giving up a home run like five times this year.

Best one was how they got fucking upset over a pitcher hitting a total bomb off of them for his first career homer.

Selfish assholes really.

Jubs

Just saw the footage.

What McCann did was stupid, that I agree with. Let him step on homeplate.

However, I find it odd that some people seem to be okay with what Gomez did. I take it most of you are okay then if a hitter goes ahead and styles on your team every time they hit a homer? Everything the Braves did seem to be in reaction to what Gomez was doing. None of this wouldn't have happened if Gomez put his head down and trotted around the bases. The homerun itself was damaging enough. But he wanted to bark out exuberantly the moment he hit his homer and stare down the pitcher. Why? Because he thought Maholm intentionally plunked him way back in July or whatever? Talk about holding a grudge.

Are the people cheering Gomez on/defending him used to getting disrespected in real life? Or used to seeing their buddies get disrespected in real life and doing nothing about it? If you want to get shit on and take it with a smile, be my guest. But what the Braves did doesn't come as a surprise to me, over the top as it was. McCann/Freeman were merely sticking up for their pitcher. They weren't going to leave Maholm alone on an island.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes we're ok if you showboat during a homerun. Even the No Fun League allows showboating during scoring plays. So does Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, Basketball and every other sport in existence. It's a dumb ass "rule".

McCann is such a little shit.

Braves bullshit is so pathetic. If you don't want people staring at bombs they hit then stop giving up said bombs.
BINGO

Similar shit happened months ago when Jordany Valdespin hit a HR off Jose Contreas in the 9th down six runs in Pittsburgh. Not only did the Mets not condone it, they sent him up as a sacrificial lamb PH late in the next game just so St. Louis coul dget the chance to hit him with a pitch. And guess what fucking happened? He got drilled in the spine and was writing in agony. Then I had to hear a spiel for LaTroy fucking Hawkins (who can go die in a fucking fire for all I care) "DURRR HE PUT US IN A TOUGH POSITION WHY SHOULD HE PUT OUR NECKS OUT FOR HIM". Hey dumbass, he wears the same uni as you. Wally Backman should've beat the shit outta LaTroy for that. There was a perfectly good way to handle that situation:
Hey, Jose and LaTroy, here’s a tip on avoiding the situation: Don’t let up a home run to a notoriously flamboyant rookie. How about that?

“I don’t know why people say, ‘This is why we do it, and you have to know how to play by the rules,’ and all of that nonsense ” Bobby Valentine said this morning on NBC Sports Radio’s Brian Kenny Show. ”Valdespin did what he did, yet it’s proper and just for a guy 60′ 6″ away to hurl a hard object as hard as he can to hit him and do bodily harm. …It’s ridiculously out of whack.”

Valentine also pointed out how Babe Ruth was notorious for circling the bases and pointing his bat at the opposition, while smiling and laughing, yet he’s never heard tales of Ruth being thrown at in retaliation for his behavior. “It’s one of those crazy things that we’ve allowed to happen,” Valentine explained.
Fuck the unwritten rules and fuck the old assholes who support then. Hey, playing baseball alongside dem nig- WHOOPS I meant Negroes used to me an unwritten rule too!

Just saw the footage.

However, I find it odd that some people seem to be okay with what Gomez did. I take it most of you are okay then if a hitter goes ahead and styles on your team every time they hit a homer? Everything the Braves did seem to be in reaction to what Gomez was doing. None of this wouldn't have happened if Gomez put his head down and trotted around the bases. The homerun itself was damaging enough. But he wanted to bark out exuberantly the moment he hit his homer and stare down the pitcher. Why? Because he thought Maholm intentionally plunked him way back in July or whatever? Talk about holding a grudge.

Are the people cheering Gomez on/defending him used to getting disrespected in real life? Or used to seeing their buddies get disrespected in real life and doing nothing about it? If you want to get shit on and take it with a smile, be my guest. But what the Braves did doesn't come as a surprise to me, over the top as it was. McCann/Freeman were merely sticking up for their pitcher. They weren't going to leave Maholm alone on an island.

Gomez was styling like that because he has a lil bit a history with Maholm and probably doesn't like The Braves team.

Jubs

Yes we're ok if you showboat during a homerun. Even the No Fun League allows showboating during scoring plays. So does Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, Basketball and every other sport in existence. It's a dumb ass "rule".

If you need a player celebration after a homerun to make this game more exciting or fun for you, you're watching the wrong sport then, I don't know what to say. And because other sports allow it (and some teams do take exception to players celebrating. Ex: Terrell Owens celebrating on the Dallas Cowboys star, Joakim Noah tired of Lebron's antics) is a poor argument as to why baseball should allow it. "They do it, so we should too." The game is long enough as it is, the last thing we need is some narcissist taking up time basking in the glory of his long ball.

If you need a player celebration after a homerun to make this game more exciting or fun for you, you're watching the wrong sport then, I don't know what to say. And because other sports allow it (and some teams do take exception to players celebrating. Ex: Terrell Owens celebrating on the Dallas Cowboys star, Joakim Noah tired of Lebron's antics) is a poor argument as to why baseball should allow it. "They do it, so we should too." The game is long enough as it is, the last thing we need is some narcissist taking up time basking in the glory of his long ball.
Yep, it needs to be stomped out as quick as possible. I say let's fix it with some good ol' fashioned brain damage with a blunt object.

Pitchers are the biggest bitches in the world. You can chuck a ball at someone at 90 mph and hit them, and they are just supposed to take their base. But god forbid they get their own little "revenge" by starting at a home run or showboat. And in return, they will hit you with a ball again. Fuck Malholm, Freeman and McCann up the ass. Acted like salty bitches.

eznark

Banned
Just saw the footage.

Welcome to baseball! It's all about grudges, unwritten rules and racist team who tomahawk chop their way to being Protectors of the Game.

Gomez said McCann was right to do what he did, by the way. He did what he could to retaliate for being thrown at. Seems like fair is fair. Just icing on the cake that Reed Johnson went and got himself suspended!

Jubs

Pitchers are the biggest bitches in the world. You can chuck a ball at someone at 90 mph and hit them, and they are just supposed to take their base. But god forbid they get their own little "revenge" by starting at a home run or showboat. And in return, they will hit you with a ball again. Fuck Malholm, Freeman and McCann up the ass. Acted like salty bitches.

How silly. You make it sound as though every HBP is intentional and laced with malice. Get a grip, son. If a hitter makes it personal every time a mistake, wild, or errant pitch hits him, then the game would be a wreck and there would be brawls everyday. Besides, If a pitcher is hitting hitters and allowing homeruns, then that means he's most likely losing the game, which means the opposing team is coming onto your field at the conclusion of the game and giving high fives and handshakes with one another. Is that not revenge enough? Or are players so insecure these days that they just have to get that little dig in?

How silly. You make it sound as though every HBP is intentional and laced with malice. Get a grip, son. If a hitter makes it personal every time a mistake, wild, or errant pitch hits him, then the game would be a wreck and there would be brawls everyday. Besides, If a pitcher is hitting hitters and allowing homeruns, then that means he's most likely losing the game, which means the opposing team is coming onto your field at the conclusion of the game and giving high fives and handshakes with one another. Is that not revenge enough? Or are players so insecure these days that they just have to get that little dig in?

If pitchers didn't throw at players intentionally to settle grudges, or because they don't like the way a guys chews his gum or tosses his bat, guys like Gomez wouldn't have to question it when they get hit. Who knows if Gomez was hit intentionally or not initially, because pitchers act like bitches and throw for any little reason.

Top Bottom