• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

Branduil

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...e-nearly-included-pujols-hunter-fight-in-2012

In a glimpse into how fractured the Angels had become, they could not even agree on a meeting format. Hawkins called for a players-only meeting. Pujols, insisting that manager Mike Scioscia and the coaches attend, wound up co-opting the meeting.

Pujols called out Weaver for showing up a teammate the night before. Then he turned his attention on Hunter, blaming him for the dugout altercation with Wilson.

What Pujols did not know at the time was that Wilson and Hunter already had made amends, with the pitcher apologizing to the outfielder for overstepping his bounds in the dugout immediately following the game.

“Albert, you'd better get your facts straight,” a seething Hunter told Pujols.

Pujols said something back, and Hunter jumped him for being a bad teammate and pouting all season whenever he failed to get hits in a game, even in games the Angels won … and now he was going to call others out?

“Shut up, Torii,” Pujols snapped.

It was then that Hunter, from across the clubhouse, lost it and charged Pujols. Hawkins and outfielder Vernon Wells had to restrain him.

The meeting proceeded from there, and when it was over, tempers still heated, Hunter had to be physically held back a second time from going after Pujols, who is described as wanting no part of the fight.

Since his first full year as owner of the Angels in 2004, Moreno has fired close to 40 members of the front office, baseball operations department and scouting and medical staffs. The Angels maintain a skeletal front-office staff in many areas, and one of the leanest game-day staffs in all of baseball. If someone is let go, there often is no replacement hired. Moreno is said to gouge hours from his low-paid employees.

Last winter, many key members of the baseball operations department wanted to make more of an effort to re-sign Zack Greinke, but it was Moreno who steered them to free agent Josh Hamilton.

When the decision was made to pursue Vernon Wells from Toronto before the 2011 season, a move Scioscia is said to have endorsed, it was Moreno, one source says, who threatened then-GM Tony Reagins with a firing if Reagins didn't consummate the deal within 24 hours. Moreno is described as being chapped at having lost free agent Adrian Beltre to the Rangers roughly two weeks earlier, and that helps explain why, in an agreement that utterly stunned almost everybody in the game, the Angels agreed to pay all but $5 million of the $86 million to a player that Toronto was so eager to offload that the Jays surely could have been persuaded to pay millions more.

“Arte needs to stay out of the baseball business,” one baseball person says. “Arte thinks he knows the game. He doesn't know the game. He only knows the money, the business side.”

This whole article is amazing.

Syrinx

It wasn't all that long ago that the Angels were seen as one of the best organizations in baseball. And now...just a trainwreck. There may not be another team in such bad shape.

turnbuckle

It wasn't all that long ago that the Angels were seen as one of the best organizations in baseball. And now...just a trainwreck. There may not be another team in such bad shape.

Which is incredible considering they have the best position player in the game cost controlled for awhile.

Love or hate the moves Detroit makes, I always get the impression their front office, management, and ownership have a great relationship and a great relationship with their players (sometimes to a fault, or how else can you explain Brandon Inge's extended life, multiple second chances for Valverde, and Donnie Baseball Kelly, Santiago, and Dirks being a part of the 25-man?). They may make some awful contracts (some of them are only awful with the benefit of hindsight i.e. Justin Verlander), they may not have much of a minor league system, but they seem to be relatively drama free other than a few off the field fuck-ups by their players (Cabrera, Delmon Young).

Also, very very happy to have Torii Hunter on our team. I was really worried about that contract, but it's definitely paying off and he makes the team a bit more likeable personality-wise (ignoring his feelings on homosexuality and gay teammates). Also, despite it seeming like it'll haunt us for years, much rather have Fielder's albatross of a contract than Pujols.

cashman

Banned
The incident was reminiscent of one in Minnesota earlier in Hunter's career, when an exasperated Hunter, in a heated discussion trying to teach Justin Morneau to be a better teammate, punched Morneau in the jaw.

Hunter sounds like a real piece of shit. Oh yeah, and his kids are rapists.

edit: And while we're on the topic, the Philadelphia "second half team" Phillies are 10-22 since the all star break.

The Mets have recalled Lucas Duda from Triple-A Las Vegas.

To make room on the active roster for Duda, the Mets optioned OF Mike Baxter to Triple-A Las Vegas.

Duda went on the Major League disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle in late June. Upon returning on August 7, the Mets optioned him to Triple-A.

Duda was hitting .306 with a homer and 14 RBI in 16 games with the 51s – he is hitting .378 with a .928 OPS over his last ten games.
He's pretty much a bench bat/1B at this point, no way he plays OF. It’s worth mentioning the Mets had to recall Duda by Monday otherwise they would've burned his final minor league option.

1000x790_MLB_ace_off_scherzer_harvey_2_if4byn0n_uirahb6u.jpg

At least they actually bothered making the black line straight this time.

lol, how well does he have to play to get you to finally spell his last name right? It's Ruf. One f.

I have played way to much Gran Turismo in my life to spell it Ruf. I will be spelling it Ruff for how ever long his is a Phillie I am sure. Funny thing is he is on my fantasy team so I see his name every day and it still doesnt click.

The Nationals are getting Class A starting pitcher Dakota Bacus in return for Kurt Suzuki. The Nats are also covering the remaining $995,000 on Suzuki's contract.

Bacus, 22, is 9-5 with a 3.56 ERA in 26 appearances (16 starts) with Class A Beloit this season.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I got some great tickets through work for the Marlins-Rockies game tonight. It'll be my first time at Marlins Park.

After being removed from last night's 3-1 loss to the Cardinals after throwing just 78 pitches, Kris Medlen openly critcized Fredi Gonzalez's handling of his fellow starters.

"I got taken out with 78 pitches," Medlen said. "I was just starting to have to battle. I didn't have to battle yet. But I wasn't given the opportunity. I guess I'm voicing the fact that I didn't appreciate that. I don't know what kind of mentality we're trying to create for our starters. But I feel like I should be able to work out of some jams."

"The manager is there to make decisions, and I felt he made it when he came out to the mound," Medlen said. "I don't argue anything. But you'd like to battle out of that and try to get a win. He didn't let me."

Earlier in the season, Tim Hudson voiced similar displeasure with Fredi removing him from a game against the Nationals earlier than he would have preferred and not giving him the chance to work out of trouble.

I honestly wish TBS had all the broadcasting rights for baseball. Fox's HD feed is horrendous and I hate having to watch that silly ticker.

JCizzle

Fuck you, Fox! Why am I being shown Red Sox-Dodgers in South Florida?

Fuck you, Fox! I want to watch Red Sox-Dodgers, but can't because your agreement is such fucking shit that I'm totally blacked out. I don't even think I could catch it at a bar.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Not that I can watch the game, but it seems Harvey doesn't have it today. Has probably lost the desire to play by now being stuck on this team.

EDIT - Yep, probably good I can't watch this.

Top Bottom