• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Cutch is fantastic. I kind of wish he was faster, but he hits well for me and has never made an error in the outfield.

That is a very nice lineup and there's going to be help on the way in those ticket stores. How does Buddy Bell hit? If it's hard to get doubles with him I imagine him to be more of a singles hitter with the occasional homer...

He hits a shit ton of singles. He puts a lot of top spin on the ball when he pulls it. I don't know why but almost everyball you pull has a lot of spin on it. After trying like 20 times last night without one double. I put the game down and took a break. Came back and hit 5 in 12 attempts.

Nice!

So they've now got two different kinds of gold level rewards in the ticket store. Surely there's going to be diamond tier? Curious to see what else eventually gets released. Sure wish we had a leaked list like last year.

Victor Martinez is ok, but I'm not dropping my stubs on a slow ass hitter that doesn't have elite defense. I don't see them dropping highly-sought after cards though---that wouldn't be best for them in regards to money.

Nice!

So they've now got two different kinds of gold level rewards in the ticket store. Surely there's going to be diamond tier? Curious to see what else eventually gets released. Sure wish we had a leaked list like last year.

Victor Martinez is ok, but I'm not dropping my stubs on a slow ass hitter that doesn't have elite defense. I don't see them dropping highly-sought after cards though---that wouldn't be best for them in regards to money.

I'm saving my tickets for pitching. Like, I thought that diamond Hershiser had weak stats but I've faced him a few times and with his weird delivery, the angles his breaking stuff takes really messed with my hitting. He was frustrating.

I'm saving my tickets for pitching. Like, I thought that diamond Hershiser had weak stats but I've faced him a few times and with his weird delivery, the angles his breaking stuff takes really messed with my hitting. He was frustrating.

Well, you know and I know that they're going to release a 1988 hardware version of him when he won the CY Young. I *hope* that kind of player is a ticket store player but they'll find a way to put him in one of the future sets where he goes for like 150k.

Trying to think of what other legends/live players will get flashbacks. We got upgraded Pujols and Chipper. I think a Cano is eventually coming, and it'd be cool if they had a 2005 Bartolo Colon or something.

So far I've played 7 ranked games and my opponent has quit of out 6. The only who didn't beat me 9-7, and that was last night after I was distraught from getting fucked by the packs with no vaseline and gave up 5 runs in the first inning. I was also reminded why Drabek's bitch ass has go to go immediately!!!

Well, you know and I know that they're going to release a 1988 hardware version of him when he won the CY Young. I *hope* that kind of player is a ticket store player but they'll find a way to put him in one of the future sets where he goes for like 150k.

Trying to think of what other legends/live players will get flashbacks. We got upgraded Pujols and Chipper. I think a Cano is eventually coming, and it'd be cool if they had a 2005 Bartolo Colon or something.

I'm starting to think outside the box on pitching. I think delivery, arm angle, break, and control are the most important things for me. H/9 helps if you just throw in the strike zone and don't "pitch", it also counteracts a hitters contact stats. K/9 helps counteract a hitters vision but I'm getting beat by the guys who can rake with their pitchers and it just demoralizes me.

Like I have Max and by rating, he is my best pitcher. But actually he is my worst. Can throw a pinpoint fastball but it's straight as an arrow. His slider is his best pitch but not against lefties. He is just easy to hit. Then I have 85 James Paxton and he has a sub 2.50 era and a WHIP under one because he has a weird delivery. Im keeping Max in my rotation because it would feel weird to have a 40k stub pitcher on the bench that I can't sell. I'm gonna change my approach to using him next time I pitch with him to see if I can get better results. There is just some players in this game that can take every ball and crush in the strike zone consistently. I'm never going to be that good hitting, so I can't out slug those guys so I'm gonna have to learn how to limit their runs. I don't know if it's possible but I'm gonna try.

I'm starting to think outside the box on pitching. I think delivery, arm angle, break, and control are the most important things for me. H/9 helps if you just throw in the strike zone and don't "pitch", it also counteracts a hitters contact stats. K/9 helps counteract a hitters vision but I'm getting beat by the guys who can rake with their pitchers and it just demoralizes me.

Like I have Max and by rating, he is my best pitcher. But actually he is my worst. Can throw a pinpoint fastball but it's straight as an arrow. His slider is his best pitch but not against lefties. He is just easy to hit. Then I have 85 James Paxton and he has a sub 2.50 era and a WHIP under one because he has a weird delivery. Im keeping Max in my rotation because it would feel weird to have a 40k stub pitcher on the bench that I can't sell. I'm gonna change my approach to using him next time I pitch with him to see if I can get better results. There is just some players in this game that can take every ball and crush in the strike zone consistently. I'm never going to be that good hitting, so I can't out slug those guys so I'm gonna have to learn how to limit their runs. I don't know if it's possible but I'm gonna try.

I really like my Tigers Scherzer, but I also haven't gotten to use him in any of my ranked games. Those games really expose who actually works and who doesn't.

And I just homered with Sabathia LMAO

Have you or anyone faced Sale yet? His attributes are nasty but I always felt like my problem with him was his pitch repertoire. 2 kinds of fastballs, a changeup and a slider. I feel like that's not a good recipe against righties over the course of a game

I really like my Tigers Scherzer, but I also haven't gotten to use him in any of my ranked games. Those games really expose who actually works and who doesn't.

And I just homered with Sabathia LMAO

Have you or anyone faced Sale yet? His attributes are nasty but I always felt like my problem with him was his pitch repertoire. 2 kinds of fastballs, a changeup and a slider. I feel like that's not a good recipe against righties over the course of a game

I struggle against Sale. That weird delivery makes his slider basically a huge cutter against righties. I think he is the nastiest pitcher I have faced. Oddly, havnt faced a Kershaw this year.

I'll definitely be picking him up as soon as I can then. Man, this Harper market sucks right now though. I could wait for him to go back up but that probably means the other diamonds I want will go up too.

beanman25

Supposed to be a rainy day here in St. Louis. So I'm going to try and finish the cruz mission so I can get lou brock.

BR wins are the only thing stopping me from 99 griffey, but I'm AWFUL at BR. I always seem to blow it early.

EDIT: Maybe not. This game gets me so frustrated. Getting 1 hit by gausman on rookie. XD

In my search for pitchers, I have turned to Daddyleagues site for individual pitch information. I imagine this is ingame also but just prefer to use my phone to search pitchers. Take for example 91 diamond Jack McDowell that goes for about 15k. Diamond pitcher for 15k you say! There is a reason. Let's look.

LH70N3z.png

93 MPH Fastball with average movement.
His best pitch the 87 MPH Splitter with insane break.
Mediocre to average Curve and 2 seam.

Would be a great closer for one inning of pitching but a starter going 5+ innings his stuff is going to get timed and smashed. I almost bought this card but realized after seeing this that he has two pitches that he can use consistently and that's not going to beat higher competition. If he had a decent change or a faster fastball it would be a different story.

Seeing the per pitch breakdown of a pitchers stats has been key now for me coming up with an attack plan. That's why I want to try Max again because I know that's stats behind each of his pitches and I think I can work with that.

Yeah, that site is why I wasn't sold on Greinke. Shitty curveball break, not much difference between his fastball and changeup. That 80k stubs for Jansen can be used better elsewhere....although Jansen is nasty.

have you guys ever entered a game, and the game renamed your CAP to someone else? For me, it said "Ivan Rodriguez" rated 93, but still faceless. I was in complete shock but when the game started it was back to Mega Man.

Are they trying to hint something to me...........OMG if there's a Pudge card I'm all over it!!!

sh1fty

Saw that alot of golds I needed for collections on the market had dropped in price (Braun, Carpenter, Dozier) so I dropped $20 to get the stubs I needed... Then I noticed there's a new common no-name in the Brewers collection that's going for like 4K stubs.

Went against my better judgement and decided to get a 20 pack bundle... and pulled 88 Keuchel and 90 Cespedes.

Trying to sell the Cespedes for 60K stubs now.. Haven't decided if I'll rip another 50 or try to complete a few more collections (maybe Royals + Pirates).

Saw that alot of golds I needed for collections on the market had dropped in price (Braun, Carpenter, Dozier) so I dropped $20 to get the stubs I needed... Then I noticed there's a new common no-name in the Brewers collection that's going for like 4K stubs.

Went against my better judgement and decided to get a 20 pack bundle... and pulled 88 Keuchel and 90 Cespedes.

Trying to sell the Cespedes for 60K stubs now.. Haven't decided if I'll rip another 50 or try to complete a few more collections (maybe Royals + Pirates).

If you haven't finished those collections, now would be the time. what's likely to happen if you get a 50 pack is that you don't get shit and you'll regret not getting it.

But you could get a Trout. All it takes is one pack!

sh1fty

If you haven't finished those collections, now would be the time. what's likely to happen if you get a 50 pack is that you don't get shit and you'll regret not getting it.

But you could get a Trout. All it takes is one pack!

I know! ... it could be in that next pack!... Pirates collection is super tempting (92 diamond and a 95 Cutch for team epic).. I should probably just do it eh..

Just do it now so you can be a guilt free pack addict like the rest of us

Drabek isn't bad, but I'll be replacing his ass soon anyways

I take that back. Drabek is fucking trash. He's got to go.

Rommel

Just put in a couple ranked games and have to say Catfish if used well can be deadly. Although I'm sure at the upper tiers he'd be getting pummeled.

Completed the team epics finally. Those 25 hits with Pence were awful to get, the guy can't hit RHP.

But got the Hardware Cal, Miggy and the All-Star Feller.

My first tier team is on the bench while I work on multiplayer missions (breakouts and chipper)

I did have one game with All-Star Feller online and it was a complete game 1 run game with 15k's.

Rommel

Right now with Boggs I'm 1/3 through hits and runs and over halfway with RBI's. For his power rating he has a surprising amount of pop. I've hit 5 HR's with him

sh1fty

:(

I know it's so tempting...but far more often than not it doesn't work out. Unless you're Rommel.

It's all good. I had some extra stubs leftover from selling the Cespedes and Keuchel, along with selling some of the odds & ends from the 50 bundle.. so I bought 92 Freddie Freeman. Completes the Braves collection for me and finally nets me that left handed bat at 1B I've sorely lacked (was trying out 82 Eric Thames I was so desperate).

Sold Boggs, bought another baller pack and got a Rizzo.... I suppose it could be worse, only gonna lose 5k stubs on the pack

I'll just get the pirates done and start flipping again....

Edit - CRAP, the Pirates have a new common that is outrageously priced right now, guess I'll finish them in a few days, ugh

Whoever's the highest IE silver of the day

I'm trying out some other closers since they are so cheap right now

Got hit hard using Cody Allen
Roberto Osuna is a stud

I can't seem to hit Carter Capps but I got pwned the few times I tried him

May get Nate Jones soon, he pwns me

I just threw a goddamn masterpiece with Max Scherzer against someone who is in CS this season (Probably WS last season)

The movement had my matchup bamboozled

18699495_10109689902963660_3950324252233539440_o_zpsljjeq9pv.jpg

Currently sitting at 745 in the DS. 15 more wins and Vida/Griffey are mine! And that's probably what I'll need to climb into and stay in WS.

Rommel

I just threw a goddamn masterpiece with Max Scherzer against someone who is in CS this season (Probably WS last season)

The movement had my matchup bamboozled

18699495_10109689902963660_3950324252233539440_o_zpsljjeq9pv.jpg

Currently sitting at 745 in the DS. 15 more wins and Vida/Griffey are mine! And that's probably what I'll need to climb into and stay in WS.

Nice i'm getting to the point where I'll have to stop using mission players and go with my prime lineup to reach WS. Just hit the pennant series 9-0. Having relief aces out of the pen is so amazing. If I have the lead after 5 innings the game is effectively over... Chapman to Wagner to Miller to Jansen.

Nice i'm getting to the point where I'll have to stop using mission players and go with my prime lineup to reach WS. Just hit the pennant series 9-0. Having relief aces out of the pen is so amazing. If I have the lead after 5 innings the game is effectively over... Chapman to Wagner to Miller to Jansen.

Yeah, you start seeing the big difference in skill level once you get past 700+. It must be nice to have a bullpen, mine is just ok and is what got me my two Ls

Lately everyone I've been playing in Battle Royale has been pulling out Hunter Strickland... his FB is hard to hit if there is any kind of lag in the game.

Heh, I've been using Strickland off and on since last year....maybe the season before as well

I get stuck once I hit the DS, I have a lot of trouble taking pitches

Played 2 won 2 this morning. Up to 860. Last game Lindor went 5 for 5 with a walk-off HR. Really enjoying him at the top of my lineup. I was scared getting rid of Seager as he raked for me but I didn't need a lefty power bat with Harper and Votto.

Played 2 won 2 this morning. Up to 860. Last game Lindor went 5 for 5 with a walk-off HR. Really enjoying him at the top of my lineup. I was scared getting rid of Seager as he raked for me but I didn't need a lefty power bat with Harper and Votto.

Yeah that's what I keep telling myself about Bryce and every single game he goes out and gets half my team's RBIs...

I could sell him now and get the whole Cubs collection. That's probably what I'd do. I think I may just hang onto him until I get Griffey, which I'm 15 wins away from. Wish it was 14 but I just got bumped back down to 726 :( 15-3 now

Yeah that's what I keep telling myself about Bryce and every single game he goes out and gets half my team's RBIs...

I could sell him now and get the whole Cubs collection. That's probably what I'd do. I think I may just hang onto him until I get Griffey, which I'm 15 wins away from. Wish it was 14 but I just got bumped back down to 726 :( 15-3 now

The real secret to Bryce is the Nationals collection. You are about 80k stubs away from getting Dawson who is a top 3 card in the game. He is my best hitter. He is worth every penny.

The real secret to Bryce is the Nationals collection. You are about 80k stubs away from getting Dawson who is a top 3 card in the game. He is my best hitter. He is worth every penny.

I know man, it's so hard to let go of an extremely rare card like Bryce. I'm 99% sure I'm not getting Bryce or Trout for the rest of the year, so I feel like while I got him I need to hold on. Bryce hits insanely for me, and I know Dawson's magic from my BR runs when the game first came out.

A Dawson+Griffey+McCutchen/Bryce/Anybody outfield is going to be nasty. Right now it's Reggie/McCutchen/Bryce, and they all hit fantastically for me, but Reggie's defense pisses me off lol.

I guess what it comes down to is holding onto Bryce and saving for Dawson, or selling Bryce to get Bryant/Fergie while having 10-20k stubs left over.

LMAOOOOO

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLBTheShow/comments/6dugiq/got_drunk_last_night_proceeded_to_buy_five/

Welp, to say I am disappointing in myself is a severe understatement. I went out drinking last night, got home late and very drunk, and proceeded to purchase $500 worth of stubs and just kept buying the Ballin is a Habit packs. I forgot I did this until I just logged in this morning...

I am prone to gambling addictions, and I think that may have played a huge factor. I ended up buying 750,000 stubs. Spent 700k on Ballin is a Habit packs and one 50k pack deal (got ONE gold from those 50 packs, no diamonds). Pulled about 300k worth of cards from the 700,000 I spent on Ballin is a Habit. I would not suggest buying the "Ballin is a Habbit" pack. Return is simply not worth the investment.

Moral of the story here: Don't buy packs. Don't be an complete idiot like I am. And I hate myself.

Now let the hate flow through you, I deserve it.

Win and I'm in the WS. At 884. 2-2 in the bottom of the 8th when Buddy Bell take Kimbell deep to take the lead 3-2. Start warming Herrera up. Get the first out then I hang a change up to I don't even remember and he ties it up. The very next pitch, I didn't even realize that took most of Herreras confidence and I don't have an accuracy marker and I groove a fastball down the middle and he hits a HR off that pitch to take the lead. He brings in Britton and gets the save. Fuck.

so you have to have the complete team collection to do the team epic? what teams are the easiest to fully collect?

Naturally, teams with the fewest diamonds / golds.

Thats why its best to sell a diamond/gold card you don't want. Use the funds to then complete a team collection and team epic. You get the good cards from that team (lets say Josh Donaldson, Osuna, Sanchez, Tulo, Bautista etc) plus the 93 Encarnacion and 90 Joe Carter from doing the team epic quest line. (if you were doing the Blue Jays team epic)

Naturally, teams with the fewest diamonds / golds.

Thats why its best to sell a diamond/gold card you don't want. Use the funds to then complete a team collection and team epic. You get the good cards from that team (lets say Josh Donaldson, Osuna, Sanchez, Tulo, Bautista etc) plus the 93 Encarnacion and 90 Joe Carter from doing the team epic quest line. (if you were doing the Blue Jays team epic)

but then you're unable to sell all of those guys, right? it doesn't seem very tenable, at least for where im at. i've done all of conquest and it's missions, plus collected the 15 for each team. i have a team of mostly golds and a couple diamonds, but i'm kind of wondering where to go from here.

but then you're unable to sell all of those guys, right? it doesn't seem very tenable, at least for where im at. i've done all of conquest and it's missions, plus collected the 15 for each team. i have a team of mostly golds and a couple diamonds, but i'm kind of wondering where to go from here.

Yeah, you wouldn't sell them. But you would use them in your squad. They are good players, and your can remain more competitive against higher ranked season games, events, and can play the CPU on harder and harder difficulty settings.

But you not only get a ton of good cards by going through the process, you also get a lot of XP, Tickets and additional stubs as well.

Top Bottom