• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

You bring up a good point. I basically always match against complete diamond squads. I'll definitely start pitching with my best, although my relievers aren't very good.

Trying to figure out what to do with Yoenis. I would love to play him, perhaps with brock.

Who else is on your team?

Korupt/Rommel/Jonsson which of the top tier relievers do you guys think is the nastiest to face and which isn't worth it? Yall already helped me out with Kimbrel but was wondering about the others: Jansen, Chapman, Britton, Davis, Betances. Those are the other guys on my radar but I'm wondering if I should avoid wasting any on them. Sitting at 90k but I know I could farm a little more if I wanted to (Probably 95k after I finish Angels collections and sell off more useless cards)

Jansen+20 pack sounds fun lol

beanman25

My starting lineup is

LF: 94 Brock CF: BO Griffey RF: Ozuna
SS:Ozzie 2B: Neil Walker
3B: Jose Ramirez 1B: LS Goldy
C: CAP
(for reference, my bench has no golds or diamonds for the rating mod, so I'm sitting 98 Luis Gonzalez, Cespedes, and honestly a ton of other guys. Conquest Diamonds, Steve Finley, Justin Upton, Stanton, etc..)

I really try to play with guys I hit well with, but I'm so streaky.

My rotation is

1. Conquest CC
2. Warren Spahn (My best pitcher statistically)
3. IV Liriano
4. Garrett Richards
5. Rookie Feller

Bullpen:

Bethancourt (Rating Mod, hah)
Capps
88 Wagner
Felipe Rivero
Strickland
Justin Wilson
Osuna

I don't have lots of other options for pitchers. So I'm considering maybe selling cespedes and buying a couple arms or something. Maybe get Orel from the ticket store too?

EDIT: I have 8000 tickets currently. But I have the IV V Mart, Alex Gordon, and a couple of the gold pitchers, and obviously IV Griffey. But I suck at BR, so these 50 wins are hell. ha

Korupt/Rommel/Jonsson which of the top tier relievers do you guys think is the nastiest to face and which isn't worth it? Yall already helped me out with Kimbrel but was wondering about the others: Jansen, Chapman, Britton, Davis, Betances. Those are the other guys on my radar but I'm wondering if I should avoid wasting any on them. Sitting at 90k but I know I could farm a little more if I wanted to (Probably 95k after I finish Angels collections and sell off more useless cards)

Britton is my bullpen nemesis. Jansen is a close second.

Wade Davis is is hittable, Betances is hittable, and Chapman is hittable. They have nasty stuff and you will find success with them buf I'm not intimidated by them.

Britton is my bullpen nemesis. Jansen is a close second.

Wade Davis is is hittable, Betances is hittable, and Chapman is hittable. They have nasty stuff and you will find success with them buf I'm not intimidated by them.

Britton, really? Checking out DaddyLeagues made me no longer surprised why he was so cheap compared to the rest (It really is bizarre)

britton_zpsmq2gzphd.png

chapman_zpsiwbufjph.png

Britton appears to have awful control on his fastballs. His slider has about as much break but is slower, but his sinker appears to be his money pitch.

I believe you, it's just kind of weird how the game is like that.

There's that Kris Medlen in the ticket store, but I've faced him and he sucks. Got no interest having him at all.

Beanman I'll get back to you in a bit with my advice.

Interesting, I would have thought a faster slider would be harder to hit, but I see why the speed difference really gets people in a tizzy

Rommel

I've had success against Chapman. Dallin B is always hard with his movement. Gossamer can be hard but he is pricey. Jansen is a monster, haven't played much against Briton.

Miller is the best overall imo

Miller so expensive though...

Yankees one doesn't seem too far off from Indians one for ratings. I don't know why his LS card is so insane. Yankees Miller and Britton combined are cheaper than Chapman, that's better value

beanman25

I'm converting to Directional. I have never been able to hit on zone, and i'm really bothered by it. PCI control is way too hard. even with kontrol freeks. ha

EDIT: One game into directional and I got smacked by a guy in the 400s. haha.

I love baseball, but this may just not be the game for me.

Kenley has joined the team and so has the shitty version of Jackie :D

I'm also about to get the player Epic Ian Kinsler, and that one has better defense than the Rangers breakout version. worse vision and clutchness, but I'll take the superior defense
Also picked up the Yankees version of Andrew Miller.

Bullpen as it is now:
Who Gives A Fuck Lefty RP
Who Gives A Fuck Righty RP
Who Gives A Fuck Righty RP
Who Gives A Fuck Right RP
Yankees Andrew Miller
Angels Francisco Rodriguez
Kenley Jansen

Will probably add Britton later

Rommel

As frustrating as it can be I really do enjoy BR. I had a couple shitty drafts back to back and hated my teams. After my first loss with each I just conceded so I could redraft. Finally have a team I love and it just rakes.

Currently 7-0 and nervous to keep going, I've had 3 come backs in the bottom of the 3rd to come from behind and walk off.

Up to 853 in ranked and finally got 30 ranked wins, just need 4/4 Griffey and the event wins when that comes back.

All of these high pressure games are killing me, I have to take a break sometimes and play the CPU to calm myself down.

As frustrating as it can be I really do enjoy BR. I had a couple shitty drafts back to back and hated my teams. After my first loss with each I just conceded so I could redraft. Finally have a team I love and it just rakes.

Currently 7-0 and nervous to keep going, I've had 3 come backs in the bottom of the 3rd to come from behind and walk off.

Up to 853 in ranked and finally got 30 ranked wins, just need 4/4 Griffey and the event wins when that comes back.

All of these high pressure games are killing me, I have to take a break sometimes and play the CPU to calm myself down.

That shit raises your blood pressure man, it's all I played for the first month and a half or so of the game. So many times I'd scream FUCK if something shitty happened where I'd be worried my neighbors would call cops or something, lol.

I'm at 840 myself, won a nail biter earlier. Trying to rip through conquest so I can get my 30 hits with Jackie so I can unlock Greinke and get Scherzer out of my rotation cause DAMN has this guy struggled for me lately. Then I'll have the rest of the week to get to 900. Just need to rip off 3-4 straight...

By the way yall got recommendations for cheaper relievers who do the job? I've sold a lot of my gold and silver ones lol but I can get them back easier. I'll probably have 35-40k soon.

Rommel

That shit raises your blood pressure man, it's all I played for the first month and a half or so of the game. So many times I'd scream FUCK if something shitty happened where I'd be worried my neighbors would call cops or something, lol.

I'm at 840 myself, won a nail biter earlier. Trying to rip through conquest so I can get my 30 hits with Jackie so I can unlock Greinke and get Scherzer out of my rotation cause DAMN has this guy struggled for me lately. Then I'll have the rest of the week to get to 900. Just need to rip off 3-4 straight...

By the way yall got recommendations for cheaper relievers who do the job? I've sold a lot of my gold and silver ones lol but I can get them back easier. I'll probably have 35-40k soon.

Rondon is a cheapy that really has been solid for me, particularly in BR. Strickland is a tough hit also.

Depends on what do you mean by cheap :) Scrap together the 60k for Dellin Betances, he is worth it.

Rondon is a cheapy that really has been solid for me, particularly in BR. Strickland is a tough hit also.

Depends on what do you mean by cheap :) Scrap together the 60k for Dellin Betances, he is worth it.

Have you faced a single Bruce Sutter yet?

Rommel

Have you faced a single Bruce Sutter yet?

Never. I think folks are put off by his lower velo. I see Gossages though, but he is also pricey. Velo is king in ranked which is why higher ranked RP's with middling velo are forgotten. Now if you can be good on the corners they could be a very good value pick.

Gotcha

Also I just discovered anything your CAP does, will not count towards your MyCareer stat missions. Well damn! Why do I keep spamming steal base with him then!

Well shit, the game gave me a Diamond Sam Bat (About 8.5k profit) as a bonus drop. yeaaaaaaaaaaaah boy

sh1fty

Ok so my daily login reward today as 90 Corey Seager!

I'd obviously like to sell for the stubs but he's a lefty and I was weak at shortstop (had been mixing up Boegarts and Dozier)... My worry is that he will drop to a Gold at some point, but he seems to be doing OK right now.

Ok so my daily login reward today as 90 Corey Seager!

I'd obviously like to sell for the stubs but he's a lefty and I was weak at shortstop (had been mixing up Boegarts and Dozier)... My worry is that he will drop to a Gold at some point, but he seems to be doing OK right now.
You lucky bastard! Nice pull though.

Seager is amazing and he can play three positions..he can hit against lefties just fine.

I think I play this game so much and try to "think" about how to get better so much that I've actually got worst. I have all these things in my head before a pitch that I don't have any timing because I'm coming up with all these possibilities in my head. I can no longer just see the ball, hit the ball anymore. Ive over complicated the game and I don't know how to make it simple again.

You should just take a 2-3 day break from the ranked games. I've found the more I play the worse I get, just because you're so used to seeing things.

taking time off any game helps you regain your senses

sh1fty

You lucky bastard! Nice pull though.

Seager is amazing and he can play three positions..he can hit against lefties just fine.

Yeah it was 2 of my biggest needs solved... another good lefty (I currently have Blackmon, Freeman and Granderson) and a SS (stuck wtih Boegarts for the most part this season).

He's not doing bad IRL, so I don't think there's much risk for now of him getting dropped to Gold. SDS have been super stingy this year with promoting / demoting players so should be fine.

I can afford to wait and just try him out a bit. He'll help me with the Veteran Team Epic games for sure.

So annoying when you're trying to get a few more complete game shutouts to finish the mission for 14k stubs, and the last batter with 2 outs homers on rookie difficulty -_____________-

What's everyone's rotation look like?

I'm rocking.

Chris Sale LS
Max Scherzer LS
Stephen Strausburg LS
Chris Archer LS
Oliver Perez FB

Got Scherzer ERA under 4 and his WHIP under 1. My new approach definitely helped.

What's everyone's rotation look like?

I'm rocking.

Chris Sale LS
Max Scherzer LS
Stephen Strausburg LS
Chris Archer LS
Oliver Perez FB

Got Scherzer ERA under 4 and his WHIP under 1. My new approach definitely helped.

I got:
Kershaw
Vida Blue
Sale
Dodgers Greinke
BO Nolan Ryan or Hardware Scherzer

I've been having a hard time with that Scherzer, what'd you do differently? I actually don't feel all that great about Nolan either.

Sitting at 840, have the whole day off. Going to try to get to WS today....

Saganator

I'm converting to Directional. I have never been able to hit on zone, and i'm really bothered by it. PCI control is way too hard. even with kontrol freeks. ha

Have you tried Pure Analog? Been playing The Show since '10, I've always sucked at hitting, tried Pure Analog this year and I'm doing much better now. Also made the switch to Pure Analog for pitching and that improved my pitching as well.

Don't give up! Don't always swing at the first pitch, layoff the offspeed junk, try to get into favorable counts (2-0, 3-0, 3-1, 3-2) and let 'er rip when you get a fastball.

I got:
Kershaw
Vida Blue
Sale
Dodgers Greinke
BO Nolan Ryan or Hardware Scherzer

I've been having a hard time with that Scherzer, what'd you do differently? I actually don't feel all that great about Nolan either.

Sitting at 840, have the whole day off. Going to try to get to WS today....

I treat his slider like his main pitch. I throw it the majority of the time. I pitch it on the inside a lot. Paint the fastball. Throw the change in the zone. You just have to trust it. People are going to think it's a misplaced fastball or the slider and swing early or under it. Curve for 2 strikes.

I treat his slider like his main pitch. I throw it the majority of the time. I pitch it on the inside a lot. Paint the fastball. Throw the change in the zone. You just have to trust it. People are going to think it's a misplaced fastball or the slider and swing early or under it.

I'll take that advice.

Also, you didn't mention his curve ball which makes me wonder if you also realized his curve ball is a dangerous pitch to use regularly because it get hits so hard.

Make sure your tv is on game mode to reduce input lag.

I'm sort of disappointed by the lack of "end-game" content in RttS. Surely they realized that users would end up dominating, breaking records and having historic games but there is very, very little in the way of announcing or rewards for it.

My RttS player is starting his third season and won the triple crown, regular season mvp, home run derby, all-star game mvp, world series mvp, playoff mvp and in the process broke ever single record outside of the steal record (115 HR's, 244 RBI's, .466 BA). Yet, in game they still treat him like some middle of the road player instead of acting like he's a God among mortals. In fact, during the last WS games they talked about how dumb it was to walk me instead of pitching to me in a pressure situation. My batting clutch rating is around 95! It still shows that I'm only about 50/50 to get in to the hall of fame too.

I'll take that advice.

Also, you didn't mention his curve ball which makes me wonder if you also realized his curve ball is a dangerous pitch to use regularly because it get hits so hard.

I didn't mention the curve because yes, it is not a reliable pitch. I throw it with two strikes out of the zone. Even then I'm scared because it's his lowest controlled pitch.

Edit. Also when I say throw the change in the zone, of course not exclusively, throw it low also but it's a straight change with lots of control so it's cool to throw it in that sweet spot below the middle of the zone but above the bottom of the zone.

bosh

So just clicked on Dynasty Diamonds yesterday for the first time ever (always just played casually with friends/franchise mode). Its a monster worth of stuff to do.

Dipped in most of the modes. Regarding stubs - is this the best way to get high value players cheaply? I think it was 800 stubs, which I have for a 86/87 legend? Or is it better just to play the modes and unlock things over time?

Rommel

So just clicked on Dynasty Diamonds yesterday for the first time ever (always just played casually with friends/franchise mode). Its a monster worth of stuff to do.

Dipped in most of the modes. Regarding stubs - is this the best way to get high value players cheaply? I think it was 800 stubs, which I have for a 86/87 legend? Or is it better just to play the modes and unlock things over time?

Finish conquest first. You will get some diamond players finishing it up that will give you a solid base.

Rommel

Gonna try and get the Chipper Jones program done, need 10 rookie homers.....my record is going to suuuuuck after loll

Just finish the Red Sox and Rockies collections for Rookie Ted Williams and Tulo. Then buy rookie David Wright. You'll have 10 HR's shortly with those guys :)

is it expensive AF to get eddie mathews? I have 18 breakout players only lol

I shouldn't have sold all the ones I ever got

Rommel

is it expensive AF to get eddie mathews? I have 18 breakout players only lol

I shouldn't have sold all the ones I ever got

When you start with 18 yah it will be 100k + for you to finish that up. You can save a lot of stubs by using tickets to buy breakout players.

I have 28k tickets

I have no idea what I'm saving for lol

Last year, they eventually released cards like Tigers Cabrera in the ticket store. I feel like eventually they might do it with players like Gagne. But really, at that point, I wonder if I'll even care about the game anymore...

I see some of those 12 win rewards potentially being in the ticket store, but who knows. All I know is even if they're 5k tickets each I can add 5 of them!!!

sh1fty

First attempt at a Veteran 9 inning game against the Marlins was interesting...

I was getting no-hit into the 8th inning, while jumping back and forth between Directional and Zone. Directional wasn't producing anything more than piddly ground balls. Once I changed it to Zone - Reticle, I started having some success... Hit a home run with the newly acquired Corey Seager and a pinch hit HR with Hosmer. Won the game 4-0 with Keuchel pitching a gem.

At least I know it's do-able, just need to practice more with Zone (Reticle).

Trying to rank up. Both my games started with errors that led to awful starts. Already took an L on my way to another FUCK

Still in game 2 but goddamn it I keep starting in early holes

Rommel

Went at played my 7-0 BR run during lunch today. Swept 0-2. Shut out both games, every solid hit died in front of the wall or was hit right as someone. I was blooped or swinging bunted to death. Lost 2-0 in 3 and 1-0 in 5.

On the plus side I get to redraft a team which is one of my favorite things to do :D

Went at played my 7-0 BR run during lunch today. Swept 0-2. Shut out both games, every solid hit died in front of the wall or was hit right as someone. I was blooped or swinging bunted to death. Lost 2-0 in 3 and 1-0 in 5.

On the plus side I get to redraft a team which is one of my favorite things to do :D

until you see that your first diamond options are kenny lofton and matt holliday

Top Bottom