• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Y'all hating on Honda way too much. Her only fault is giving too many fucks. She keeps it real.

Also, make sure to watch last week's South Park and this week's. So. Fucking. Good.

SteveWD40

Honda is going to be fucking mental on a film set with her name on a trailer...

She will make Val Kilmer look like a sweet hear to work with.

Holy feck, this has got to be the worst crop of fighters ever, that mixed in with all the hardships of cutting weight and Hondas face every week has gotta make this challenge for worst season ever.

Holy feck, this has got to be the worst crop of fighters ever, that mixed in with all the hardships of cutting weight and Hondas face every week has gotta make this challenge for worst season ever.
Yeah the men's side is a complete wash. All scrubs not only from a skill standpoint, but from an entertainment one too. Dana should be embarrassed. The women's side has been great though IMO.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Honda can't watch Honda. She was thankful for the movie role just so she wouldn't have to watch or hear about the way she came off on TUF.

ibu35z6hXgCOrL.gif

I mean, Christ, just look at her.

animation1who7b.gif

muddream

Banned
Y'all hating on Honda way too much. Her only fault is giving too many fucks. She keeps it real.

Also, make sure to watch last week's South Park and this week's. So. Fucking. Good.

Yeah, you gotta respect Ronda the competitor. She's the C.Ronaldo of MMA.

Miesha is the Nicki Minaj of MMA, like I don't give a fuck if they're fake.

MMA is closer to Rap than to Football, so I'm still on #TeamTate.

MjFrancis

Yeah the men's side is a complete wash. All scrubs not only from a skill standpoint, but from an entertainment one too. Dana should be embarrassed. The women's side has been great though IMO.
I've thought the same. My wife has been very interested in watching this season's TUF but whenever it's an episode focusing on the guys she doesn't end up watching very much of it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

They really should have gone women only. The mens talent pool for TUF has been dried up for years and womens 135 has been pretty entertaining since it's inception.

I dont care what happens this year but 4 things

1) Reem better beat Mir

2) Barnett better beat Browne

3) Tate better beat Rousey

4) Wand better stop Chael

Looks like DC might be fighting Evans. That is great matchmaking

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Literally every bar in my neighborhood has a UFC night at some point. Most charge a 20 dollar cover too. This is an mma city for sure. There are literally 3 gyms that i can think off the top of my head within a ten minute walking distance from me...one is literally 5 blocks down from where i live. Its a travesty that we dont get ultimate in the garden.

Literally every bar in my neighborhood has a UFC night at some point. Most charge a 20 dollar cover too. This is an mma city for sure. There are literally 3 gyms that i can think off the top of my head within a ten minute walking distance from me...one is literally 5 blocks down from where i live. Its a travesty that we dont get ultimate in the garden.

I can confirm. UFC has a giant advertisement spot reserved right in the center of Times Sq. and LOL at THQ trolling in UFC 3 with the Gardern area.

As long as Tate beats Ronda I can enjoy live. Just seen the latest TUF aaaaaand well...is Ronda crying in front of Dana because that loser didnt make weight?

They better add some extra security when my sweet dream...mm..mm..mm. Miesha destroys Hondas dreams of ever getting a chance to get with me!
Ima overjizz when my other darling...Jessica Eye ever has the chance to matchup Ronda and freakin' toys with her! She ll tell her to get back to that pokemon forum!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I can confirm. UFC has a giant advertisement spot reserved right in the center of Times Sq. and LOL at THQ trolling in UFC 3 with the Gardern area.

Those double decker tourist busses were plastered with Cain V JDS posters MONTHS before the fight..and i was working both in soho and uptown and i saw them eeeeverywhere.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lorenzo Fertitta discusses MMA in New York, increased 2014 UFC schedule, GSP's future, more

"I think I misspoke on that. It'll be in the 40's."

Oh, only in the 40's? For a minute there I thought they might be putting on too many events.
Just make it a weekly thing like Raw & Smackdown, let the joes at the bottom slug it out weekly with fake personas.
I dont care what happens this year but 4 things

1) Reem better beat Mir

2) Barnett better beat Browne

3) Tate better beat Rousey

4) Wand better stop Chael

Looks like DC might be fighting Evans. That is great matchmaking
Watch only two of those things happen.

How long is the UFC away from having a real sports structure? No more fatso telling us the main events...I mean legitimate rankings and on screen presentation?

With 2 major events a year (summer, new years) and alotta events to create talent.
TUF didnt work out that well talentwise...

Events every week...internationally? Does Lorenzo have the pocket to pull it off?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just make it a weekly thing like Raw & Smackdown, let the joes at the bottom slug it out weekly with fake personas.

Watch only two of those things happen.

I'd be stunned if more than two of those things happen. #1 may as well be Mir/Cro Cop again, based on how Reem has been fighting past the 30 second mark.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
How long is the UFC away from having a real sports structure? No more fatso telling us the main events...I mean legitimate rankings and on screen presentation?

With 2 major events a year (summer, new years) and alotta events to create talent.

Events every week...internationally? Does Lorenzo have the pocket to pull it off?

There's a lot that needs a serious overhaul. Rules. Scoring system. Ranking system. At least they started with that sham of an official ranking system they implemented. Apparently displaying the gambling odds is more important than anything else.

Heel

The UFC doesn't control the rules and scoring system. How would you improve the ranking system, and how would it improve matchmaking?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The UFC doesn't control the rules and scoring system. How would you improve the ranking system, and how would it improve matchmaking?

I know they dont but those things still need to change. Archaic nonsense like 12-6 elbows and no knees in the 3 point position are just dumb. Same thing for grabbing the cage. So the wrestler stuffing you against it can use it..but you cant grab it to defend? That doesn't seem 'equal' to me. At least jettison that nonsense. Ranking would be more difficult just because so many divisions have stagnated because theyre dominated by a few guys..but telling me Mat Brown is a contender cause he knocked out some dude named Juventud. Nah. Shale getting back to back title shots? Who you crapping? Whose eyes are you pulling the wool over with that sham of a ranking system?

Heel

With Dana gone and Lorenzo starting to use his brain and get rid of his "Dana White buddy let him do what he wants" attitude...it can be done! IT....CAN! Tell me that they can!

I don't know what you're getting at. What's a "real sports structure" and "legitimate on screen presentation", and how does the UFC "create talent" by putting on more events? They present the talent and hope to build stars from that, which is not aided by putting on more and more shows.

I think they should focus on giving fighters the opportunity to have more fights in a year to maintain mindshare with fans. That's infinitely better than just inflating the roster and hoping the average fan remembers a guy from 4-6 months ago and hoping someone catches on. No one knows who the majority of these Joes are, so why should people care? The promise of "great fights" only goes so far if you aren't invested in them.

That's my opinion, anyway.

I know they dont but those things still need to change. Archaic nonsense like 12-6 elbows and no knees in the 3 point position are just dumb. Same thing for grabbing the cage. So the wrestler stuffing you against it can use it..but you cant grab it to defend? That doesn't seem 'equal' to me. At least jettison that nonsense. Ranking would be more difficult just because so many divisions have stagnated because theyre dominated by a few guys..but telling me Mat Brown is a contender cause he knocked out some dude named Juventud. Nah. Shale getting back to back title shots? Who you crapping? Whose eyes are you pulling the wool over with that sham of a ranking system?

I agree with the rule changes. As we've seen in New York and Nevada, there's only so much the UFC can do to influence change. I feel like they're doing what they can to positively impact the sport from a regulation standpoint, and it's infinitely more than the combined efforts of everyone else in MMA.

I agree that Matt Brown has an inflated place in the rankings, but he was put there by the consensus opinion of dozens. The same kind of thing happens in media polling for other sports. I'd say the insanity ends with the Condit fight, but at the end of the day that is just my opinion about a ranking in a system driven by opinion.

Chael didn't earn his title shots through the rankings, he earned them through promotion in a "sport" void of personality. Good on him. This is prize fighting, where those who draw an audience reap the rewards. Everyone else who "deserved" a title shot was injured or unwilling.

Where abouts is this?

We're never going to have anything here in Melbourne. Draconian cage fighting laws.

Even my gym can only have a fence on a 3-sided wall.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I don't know what you're getting at. What's a "real sports structure" and "legitimate on screen presentation", and how does the UFC "create talent" by putting on more events? They present the talent and hope to build stars from that, which is not aided by putting on more and more shows.

I think they should focus on giving fighters the opportunity to have more fights in a year to maintain mindshare with fans. That's infinitely better than just inflating the roster and hoping the average fan remembers a guy from 4-6 months ago and hoping someone catches on. No one knows who the majority of these Joes are, so why should people care? The promise of "great fights" only goes so far if you aren't invested in them.

That's my opinion, anyway.

I agree with the rule changes. As we've seen in New York and Nevada, there's only so much the UFC can do to influence change. I feel like they're doing what they can to positively impact the sport from a regulation standpoint, and it's infinitely more than the combined efforts of everyone else in MMA.

I agree that Matt Brown has an inflated place in the rankings, but he was put there by the consensus opinion of dozens. The same kind of thing happens in media polling for other sports. I'd say the insanity ends with the Condit fight, but at the end of the day that is just my opinion about a ranking in a system driven by opinion.

Chael didn't earn his title shots through the rankings, he earned them through promotion in a "sport" void of personality. Good on him. This is prize fighting, where those who draw an audience reap the rewards. Everyone else who "deserved" a title shot was injured or unwilling.

Well in that case figure out what kind of a sport youre running. The NSAC may be judging the fights but they arent booking them. If they wont make a serious push for an overhaul of the rules then at least have a meaningful internal ranking system. You want exciting fights? Put more emphasis on the finishers. Better yet put killers against wet blankets. You want Jake Shields gone. Put him in a fight against woodley or lombard. Either be in the business of the most exciting fights or be a sterilized stat based sport. This in between thing is just bullshit.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well in that case figure out what kind of a sport youre running. The NSAC may be judging the fights but they arent booking them. If they wont make a serious push for an overhaul of the rules then at least have a meaningful internal ranking system. You want exciting fights? Put more emphasis on the finishers. Better yet put killers against wet blankets. You want Jake Shields gone. Put him in a fight against woodley or lombard. Either be in the business of the most exciting fights or be a sterilized stat based sport. This in between thing is just bullshit.

Ummm...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yea ok. Compubox is about as legit as Ceil Peoples' eyesight.

What? Jake Shields clearly won the Woodley fight. It might have been 3 rounds of GSP-Hendricks round 5, but Shields played the GSP role for two of them. The judge that scored it for Woodley was a joke.

edit: Well, "clearly won" might be a stretch, but Shields did what he's best at these days and made it look like his opponent was far worse than he actually is. That guy can make almost anybody look inactive.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What? Jake Shields clearly won the Woodley fight. It might have been 3 rounds of GSP-Hendricks round 5, but Shields played the GSP role for two of them. The judge that scored it for Woodley was a joke.

edit: Well, "clearly won" might be a stretch, but Shields did what he's best at these days and made it look like his opponent was far worse than he actually is. That guy can make almost anybody look inactive.

I thought Jake had it. Point is either enforce your ranking system fraudulent or not or just book exciting fights. Yea its all based on opinions but quantify that shit. In iron chef taste and originality carry more weight than plating. Why cant finishes and activity count for more than worthless takedowns? The ten point system has been exposed time and time again. MMA judges have been exposed. I dont see whats so crazy about wanting something that works properly.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I thought Jake had it. Point is either enforce your ranking system fraudulent or not or just book exciting fights. Yea its all based on opinions but quantify that shit. In iron chef taste and originality carry more weight than plating. Why cant finishes and activity count for more than worthless takedowns? The ten point system has been exposed time and time again. MMA judges have been exposed. I dont see whats so crazy about wanting something that works properly.

I agree that the system doesn't work, just thought it was funny that you suggested a fight that Shields already won to get him out of the UFC. But even with your example, "Activity" gives a guy like Frankie Edgar an edge over everybody. And you can't judge strikes based on how hard it looks like they hit. Look at Anderson Silva's KO of Forrest. He was backtracking and flicked his arm out. If the footage stopped the moment before the punch connected, nobody would have expected gravity to suddenly decide it wants to take revenge on humans for ever daring to fly, and it wanted that revenge on Forrest Griffin right then. No matter what scoring criteria you use, you're always going to have occasional terrible decisions with judging. It happens in every sport with judges. It happens in sports without judges. It happens in non sports with things that are judged. The problem is people, not the rules. No matter how finely you tune the rules, and no matter how qualified the judges are, some calls are going to be wrong.

Personally I still think the GSP win was the right decision on Saturday, and that's why the rules need to be changed. Not because the judges do a bad job, but because there are times when the judges can make a perfectly reasonable call that is obviously the wrong outcome. The new scoring system should be: Who won the god damn fight? No points. There's no criteria you can come up with for MMA that would actually assign point values in a reasonable way so why bother. Absent that, no decisions. You didn't finish, you didn't win. You kissed your sister, go home, try again another time.

As for the ranking system, UFC isn't ever going to care. It's there because Fox wanted it there. They are always going to make fights based on popularity, matchup, and who is available for the time they want to book.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I agree that the system doesn't work, just thought it was funny that you suggested a fight that Shields already won to get him out of the UFC. But even with your example, "Activity" gives a guy like Frankie Edgar an edge over everybody. And you can't judge strikes based on how hard it looks like they hit. Look at Anderson Silva's KO of Forrest. He was backtracking and flicked his arm out. If the footage stopped the moment before the punch connected, nobody would have expected gravity to suddenly decide it wants to take revenge on humans for ever daring to fly, and it wanted that revenge on Forrest Griffin right then. No matter what scoring criteria you use, you're always going to have occasional terrible decisions with judging. It happens in every sport with judges. It happens in sports without judges. It happens in non sports with things that are judged. The problem is people, not the rules.

I also said damage. Infact id place that above everything else. A round where one guy gets 3 takedowns and does moderate damage is not the same as the round where he gets hurt and can barely stay on his feet. In what universe are those two rounds equal other than the MMA judges one? How do the compubox people even score power shots?

The mulitple bones v gus retractions alone should give you insight on how huge of a pile of shit it is. There's things that need fixing. You knock a dude down with a punch..he's rocked and you have all the advantages in the world...but you cant soccer kick or headstop..cant knee him if he's getting up..you worked hard to get your KD..you took chances and now your gamble pays off how? He fell down and 90 percent of your options are gone. Fuck yes the rules are a fucking problem.

muddream

Banned
I think most people agree that there are some silly rules, but the UFC won't touch that until it's legal in NY. What needs to happen is a system of appointing judges that isn't entirely based on nepotism to get the most out of the silly rules.

Spotify just had the audacity to suggest I listen to Baby Bash.

You mean a real sports structure like the NBA, NFL and MLB? lol

So much crooked shit happens in all those leagues.

Top Bottom