• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Fitts

I can see why a UFC 191 thread wasn't made.

Yeah, DJ doesn't "move the needle." Such a shame.

I really enjoy what he's accomplished at 125 but would love to see this version of him move back up to BW. I think he takes that belt too. (as long as King Cruz isn't around, that is)

Fitts

Dodson getting his head snapped back all night and then raising his hands in victory.

Lol... Hope we get a Wiman hat throw at the official decision.

Edit: we got a little disappointed grimace. Da fuq, man? You did nuthin'.

VoxPop

What a terrible event.

Frank 'Pride Always Dies' Mir should have gotten that nod but yeah fuck both those guys

The cage clinching was at new heights. They really need to do something about that.

I don't know where the old Dodson disappeared off to. He got absolutely wrecked tonight and LOL @ him raising his arms. Mickey Mouse seems to be trying to carry the Bones legacy going with the beard, crawling and spinning elbow. Good on him though. It was a masterful performance worthy of the 100K PPV buys. His shortie though..

Surprised Rogan didn't cry.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I don't know where the old Dodson disappeared off to.
Not to take away from MM, but I feel like that knee injury Dodson had a year and a half or so back had a big effect on his lack of explosiveness tonight. Knee injuries seem to be the death of guys in the low weight classes, where speed/footwork is everything.

By the way, Werdum doesn't want to fight again until March. 7 months to go til Werdum vs Cain II. Plenty of time for both to get injured.

Sean

Banned
lmao

JDHpAqw.gif

Yaari

Fedor, in attendance to some Russian MMA event today, has said he has news about his potential signing in 3 weeks. This is 1 week after his last Bellator meet&greet.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Well he's been basically the scape goat for most of these ppvs he headlines. Usually after some Other title bout gets cancelled .

UFC 174 - first PPV MM headlined. I think this is the only PPV that the UFC purposely meant for MM to headline.
UFC 178 - supposed to be Jones/Gustafsson 2, then supposed to be Jones/DC.
UFC 186 - supposed to be Dillashaw/Barao 2.
UFC 191 - I think DC/Gustafsson was supposed to go down here.

Patrick Cummins wants to ask for a title shot if he beats Glover, what's funny and sad about that is that he has a case . That's how pathetic light heavyweight has become. This dude that was literally picked up from working at Starbucks solely because nobody else would fight Cormier last minute and had an angle with him has become relevant in this weight class.

It's sad that so many people can't appreciate MM just because of the division he's in. This guy has evolved into one of the most complete fighters the UFC has ever seen. Superb hand speed and accuracy. Perfect technical wrestling and jiu-jitsu. Conditioning that's simply off the charts. What more do you want?

FACE

Banned
It's sad that so many people can't appreciate MM just because of the division he's in. This guy has evolved into one of the most complete fighters the UFC has ever seen. Superb hand speed and accuracy. Perfect technical wrestling and jiu-jitsu. Conditioning that's simply off the charts. What more do you want?

Someone that's not boring.

Technical brilliance (which I'm fully aware of) != exciting to watch in MM's case. You know he's gonna dominate, you know he's not gonna finish, you know its gonna last 25 minutes. His fights COULD be exciting though if they had him fight in a WEC cage. Limiting him to 3 rounds might help too.

Has nothing to do with his division. People had the same problem with post Matt Serra GSP. It's fine and dandy that they are so highly skilled in all facets of the game. Latter day GSP and and MM look like they're sparring with vastly inferior opponents. It doesn't seem like that killer instinct is there.

Has nothing to do with his division. People had the same problem with post Matt Serra GSP. It's fine and dandy that they are so highly skilled in all facets of the game. Latter day GSP and and MM look like they're sparring with vastly inferior opponents. It doesn't seem like that killer instinct is there.

Their is a problem with your insinuation that it seems dj does not have killer instinct, before the fight with Dodson he had finished his last two opponents. In his last 5 fights he finished 3 out of the 5 and of his 7 fights as champion he has finished 4 of his opponents.

Connor might make for a bad coach. He basically doesn't talk. Seems real quiet when he does. Uriah carrying everything.

He did say he was there to "prepare them for a career in the UFC" rather than coach them, which sounds like some extremely shitty coaching right there, considering hes their coach.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Their is a problem with your insinuation that it seems dj does not have killer instinct, before the fight with Dodson he had finished his last two opponents. In his last 5 fights he finished 3 out of the 5 and of his 7 fights as champion he has finished 4 of his opponents.
On a side note, 2 of those finishes were near the end of the 5th round in boring fights...I'm pretty sure a lot of us were thinking "man, I wish he finished it 20 minutes ago."

Honestly, I will never give a shit about the 125 pound division. 145 is the limit for me--anything below that is full of guys that are comically small. Yeah, I know they can kick my ass or whatever, but I don't care.

Heel

Finish or not, going for an armbar at 4:57 in round 5 shows some serious risk aversion.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Finish or not, going for an armbar at 4:57 in round 5 shows some serious risk aversion.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/09/what-do-we-mean-by-fight-of-the-night-anyway
“I remember the first time I was in the locker room at WEC when I was fighting Brad Pickett,” Johnson said. “(UFC President) Dana White was like, ‘I’m going to give someone ($65,000) who has the ‘Fight of the Night.’’ And I went out and went guns blazing at Brad Pickett, broke my hand in the first round.”

It was a good fight, as Johnson recalled, even if he ended up losing via unanimous decision. He thought he had a shot at that bonus money, but this was at WEC 48, where, later on the card, Leonard Garcia and Chan Sung Jung engaged in an epic slugfest that people still talk about as one of the most memorable fights of all time.

Those two got the $65,000 check. Johnson got a loss and trip to the hospital. In fact, he and Pickett were still there, at the same hospital, when they learned just enough about the brawl between Garcia and “The Korean Zombie” to know they probably shouldn’t expect that bonus money after all. Naturally, this had an impact on Johnson.

“I was like, ‘That gig’s f-cking over,’” Johnson said. “‘No more of that sh-t.’”

Top Bottom