• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

So.....Hendricks-Woodley off due to Jonny's weight cut issues

wow

Hahaha wait... It's serious?! Let me laugh more. What is wrong with him? Whining about how the fans lost him his belt and now because he can't make weight... smh

Can't wait to go to sherdog and read their reactions lol.

BadAss2961

Cormier is not a stranger to big build up and losses. He's competed on the international stage for years, even before the UFC including the Olympics, which are far more important and prestigious than a single LHW title shot. If the fight was anywhere as near as close as what's being claimed, he would've been just fine emotionally. He was crying because he was completely unable to control the fight at all. That fight was like a bully making his younger brother punch himself with his own hand while repeating, "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself" and the younger brother being helpless to stop it. That's being dominated.
DC's just heavy on emotion. Didn't he go into a full blown 300 pound depression after he lost at the Olympics? He would've cried after a loss in any fashion to Jones except maybe getting robbed.

ApharmdX

Banned
Cormier is not a stranger to big build up and losses. He's competed on the international stage for years, even before the UFC including the Olympics, which are far more important and prestigious than a single LHW title shot. If the fight was anywhere as near as close as what's being claimed, he would've been just fine emotionally. He was crying because he was completely unable to control the fight at all. That fight was like a bully making his younger brother punch himself with his own hand while repeating, "stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself" and the younger brother being helpless to stop it. That's being dominated.

Eh, you must have missed the interviews where Cormier said that the Jon Jones fight was bigger to him than the Olympics. Here's one.

You must have watched a different fight than I did. Jones has 14 finishes as an MMA fighter (15, honestly) out of 22 fights. In his decision wins, he did major damage to most of his opponents, including Teixeira and Evans. In the Cormier fight, Jones did almost no damage, never came close to any subs. They were pretty evenly matched, more so than Jones and any of his other opponents outside of Gus. That fight was not a domination. It was a close, uneventful fight with a clear winner. Period.

I'm not sure I get the argument on the other side, to be honest. I can name a dozen MMA fights, decisions even, where one fighter dominated another from bell to bell. This wasn't one of them. It was a bad, anti-climatic fight after the buildup, and I think of anyone (fans, the UFC, the fighters) the only one who was happy with it was Jon Jones. I think he'll beat Cormier in the rematch but it could go otherwise, I would imagine that Cormier will stick to his gameplan a lot better this time.

Eh, you must have missed the interviews where Cormier said that the Jon Jones fight was bigger to him than the Olympics. Here's one.

You must have watched a different fight than I did. Jones has 14 finishes as an MMA fighter (15, honestly) out of 22 fights. In his decision wins, he did major damage to most of his opponents, including Teixeira and Evans. In the Cormier fight, Jones did almost no damage, never came close to any subs. They were pretty evenly matched, more so than Jones and any of his other opponents outside of Gus. That fight was not a domination. It was a close, uneventful fight with a clear winner. Period.

I'm not sure I get the argument on the other side, to be honest. I can name a dozen MMA fights, decisions even, where one fighter dominated another from bell to bell. This wasn't one of them. It was a bad, anti-climatic fight after the buildup, and I think of anyone (fans, the UFC, the fighters) the only one who was happy with it was Jon Jones. I think he'll beat Cormier in the rematch but it could go otherwise, I would imagine that Cormier will stick to his gameplan a lot better this time.

Of course he's going to say it's bigger than the Olympics. Who in their right mind is going to say their last job is better and more important than their current job when they KNOW their bosses are going to hear it? Cormier is ever the company man.

And again, talking about visible damage as if that means a thing. Silva looked pristine after the first Sonnen fight despite being controlled, nullified, and hit for most of the fight. Bendo almost never looks like he's had any damage taken, even if fights where he's clearly taken quite a few strikes to the face. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are guys who gush blood in every fight they're in. Damage taken is not a clear metric of being dominated in the fight, though it's a decent metric of how much you've been hit in the face.

Chesskid1

Banned
hendricks looked really good/in shape in the footage i saw of him on the countdown show

benson henderson campaigning to fight woodley on twitter

zewone

Hendricks looking way too fat for his own good.

Unprofessional, especially for someone who was the former champ and wants the title again.

iddqd

And it was the last time that he talked about balooning up to 215 after his fights (and about NOW wanting to eat cleaner).
Cant push Snickers against the cage apparently.

Lazyslob

Banned
In the Cormier fight, Jones did almost no damage, never came close to any subs. They were pretty evenly matched, more so than Jones and any of his other opponents outside of Gus. That fight was not a domination. It was a close, uneventful fight with a clear winner. Period.

what fucking fight were you guys watching

Too bad the commission, Dana, and probably Tyrone himself wouldn't sign off on this.

That'd be a fun fight to see.

Why wouldn't the commission sign off on it? Bendo has fought at Welter before. I could see Dana and Woodley giving it a no-go just based on what it would do to the "rankings" but I don't see why the commission would block it.

Cormier has the tools to withstand everything Jonny throws at him and thats about it. Hes one of those tough guys that will never stop or win by points against that ONE guy. Unfortunately that guy is on a highway chase full on cocaine baby. Aint no stopping him!!!!!

Chesskid1

Banned
i think tomorrow is the first time i've ever watched prelims prelims

8BSsktE.jpg

war sage

zewone

Why wouldn't the commission sign off on it? Bendo has fought at Welter before. I could see Dana and Woodley giving it a no-go just based on what it would do to the "rankings" but I don't see why the commission would block it.

Hmm, my guess was because of the 12 hour notice or so to weigh in?

Maybe they would be up for it. I figured they'd have some kind of problem with the limited amount of time.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Kevin Iole ✔ @KevinI
Also, @danawhite said he considers @JohnyHendricks a middleweight as of now. @MarcRatnerUFC confirmed JH was 20-25 pounds over on Tuesday

And to think that Hendricks last fight had a very smooth weight cut. Also known as the "common sense approach".

I look forward to seeing Hendricks shit up the 185 division with wall and stall.

And Bendo is needed for the Korean event, so there's no chance Dana is using him here.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I look forward to seeing Hendricks shit up the 185 division with wall and stall.
The great thing is that he won't even be able to do that. Guys like Souza, Romero, Rockhold, and of course Weidman, are way physically bigger and stronger. He's going to crash so hard at MW.

industrian

I'm just wondering how Hendricks will take moving to Middleweight.

Maybe he'll take the Rumble 1.0 approach and think "hey, I need to cut 15lb less weight... I should put on 15lb more muscle." (Or in Hendricks case that would be eating 15lb more Taco Bell every week.)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Finally watched the 192 main event. This is the DC I want to fight Jones. DC that isn't afraid to get hit and throw lots of punches. What a fucking war. Also, I hope Alex sticks with this.

industrian

Gus is still going to be up there. There's no shame in losing to three of the elite guys of the division
and Phil Davis
. But the waters at LHW are getting muddy. DC vs. Bader is probably up next, and I wonder if they'll give Jones a tune-up fight before letting him get a title shot. Maybe have DC/Bader and Jones/Rumble on the same card. Who else have we got? Glover/Cummins? I don't think there's any high-level LHW fights scheduled for the rest of the year or early 2016 yet.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Gus is still going to be up there. There's no shame in losing to three of the elite guys of the division
and Phil Davis
. But the waters at LHW are getting muddy. DC vs. Bader is probably up next, and I wonder if they'll give Jones a tune-up fight before letting him get a title shot. Maybe have DC/Bader and Jones/Rumble on the same card. Who else have we got? Glover/Cummins? I don't think there's any high-level LHW fights scheduled for the rest of the year or early 2016 yet.
I'd bet that they go straight for the Cormier vs Jones fight. Jones doesn't need to earn a shot for his title, plus by the time they fight he will have a bit over a 1 year layoff total, which isn't too bad. If it was 2 years I could see why you could argue for a tuneup fight first. He's also been training hard ever since the accident anyway.

I think Dana will still make Bader fight Rumble, with the victor fighting the winner of Jones vs Cormier. This will likely setup a Jones vs Rumble fight. In the meantime, Gustaffson will probably get the winner of Glover vs Cummins.

Rur0ni

I'd bet that they go straight for the Cormier vs Jones fight. Jones doesn't need to earn a shot for his title, plus by the time they fight he will have a bit over a 1 year layoff total, which isn't too bad. If it was 2 years I could see why you could argue for a tuneup fight first. He's also been training hard ever since the accident anyway.

I think Dana will still make Bader fight Rumble, with the victor fighting the winner of Jones vs Cormier. This will likely setup a Jones vs Rumble fight. In the meantime, Gustaffson will probably get the winner of Glover vs Cummins.
This is good matchmaking and timing. Hopefully Joe Silva agrees.

Top Bottom