• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

ApharmdX

Banned
Saw some people get upset at the lucky shot thing. I don't think the kick was lucky, he probably practiced it for many many hours. But the area of impact surely was lucky, I don't for a second believe he anticipated Mousasi leaning in like that.

There's definitely some luck involved in how that landed. And he finished it off beautifully with the knee.

I wasn't really thinking we'd ever see the day where Mousasi would get finished by strikes anymore.

A lot of times, as a combat sports fan, it seems like those shots to the side of the head, especially with kicks, are very devastating even against a guy like Mousasi who can take hard shots on the chin without issue. I don't know if there's science behind it but it seems like they disrupt motor control instead of KO'ing like a strike that hits the chin? When GSP got TKO'ed by Matt Serra, for instance, it was a hook to the back/side of his head that did the initial damage. Gegard was on wobbly legs immediately but he'd have recovered if not for the knee.

But yeah, I agree, there was some luck in where that kick landed. Mousasi was leaning in, and it landed with a huge amount of force. What an upset!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Your inner-ears control balance. Get slapped near the ear and you'll become extremely wobbly.

-MD-

Uriah Hall versus Mousasi

AHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA PUT EM IN A BODY BAAAAAAAAAAAAAG

You think Bellator would take the corpse of Uriah Hall, or is he going back to Ring of Combat?

That's the thing, friends. You bring in a guy with no Wikipedia page and they forget this bum lost to Halfy Natal and John Howard.

He's still the next Anderson, in that his ass is about to get slept.

Oh yeah.

I'll laugh for days if Mousasi loses.

Chesskid1

Banned
hmm, is all this work UFC putting into NYC even worth it? is it just a pride thing for them?

they get approved for NYC, woopey-do, they have 1 or 2 PPVs there a year. not like it will have a big impact on ufc overall since they just could have those cards on vegas and it'll do the same.

VoxPop

hmm, is all this work UFC putting into NYC even worth it? is it just a pride thing for them?

they get approved for NYC, woopey-do, they have 1 or 2 PPVs there a year. not like it will have a big impact on ufc overall since they just could have those cards on vegas and it'll do the same.

It's a good market. Not to mention there are a lot of big stars from NY (Bones, Weidman, Sterling, Uriah, etc). WWE has been huge here forever even with our shitty arenas. It's always a fun crowd. It's also literally the last state in the country to not have it legalized which doesn't make much sense at all. It's stupid for fans to have to travel to shitholes like NJ and Toronto to watch these guys fight. As scummy as the UFC is, they shouldn't have to tuck their tails between their legs and succumb to the equally if not more shitty Culinary Union.

edit: So exactly how good is Pena? I've come up with a decent parlay for this weekends event

Sage Northcutt -350
Sergio Pettis -170
Ali Bagautinov +250
Jessica Eye +205
Johny Hendricks -280

$100 to win $3050 or $50 to win $1525

the one I'm most iffy about is Ali because of the roids but he's one of the most underrated fighters imo

Would you pick that bum to get Lucky again after that performance, brehs? I wouldn't.

Hall's ground work still has a long way to go, so his next opponent is likely to try harder than Gegard to exploit that fact. They'll also be more prepared than Gegard was for Hall's submission attempts, which I don't think he's ever really shown in the UFC before.

So it'll be an uphill challenge for Hall but there's plenty of guys who've reached the upper echelons of rankings while being semi-one dimensional.

Saw some people get upset at the lucky shot thing. I don't think the kick was lucky, he probably practiced it for many many hours. But the area of impact surely was lucky, I don't for a second believe he anticipated Mousasi leaning in like that.

There's definitely some luck involved in how that landed. And he finished it off beautifully with the knee.

I wasn't really thinking we'd ever see the day where Mousasi would get finished by strikes anymore.

You can see him set it up, clearly. That's why he jumped a little as he threw it.

Watch the match and see how Mousasi feints and sets up his takedowns in previous fights as well. Hall is better than you are giving him credit for.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Guess the average age of the top 15 fighters in the HW division...

It's not like there are any young, upcoming HW prospects in the HW division either. I doubt any will come anytime soon--if you're big and athletic you might as well try and make it in a sport where you will actually get paid decent money.

If only all those broke fighters from Dagestan/Chechnya were in the heavier divisions instead of lightweight/featherweight.

VoxPop

P3Zz4eD.jpg

dana worrying about the potential loss of 350K ppv buys

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hey a rich athlete getting off, I so surprised.

He had a previous DUI plus hit a pregnant woman with his car (when he probably high), fled, and gets off with a slap on the wrist.

VoxPop

Guess the average age of the top 15 fighters in the HW division...

It's not like there are any young, upcoming HW prospects in the HW division either. I doubt any will come anytime soon--if you're big and athletic you might as well try and make it in a sport where you will actually get paid decent money.

If only all those broke fighters from Dagestan/Chechnya were in the heavier divisions instead of lightweight/featherweight.

Teddy+Riner+Olympics+Day+7+Judo+fgmr5-_Wx1Wl.jpg

The UFC wishes they could get someone like him. Too bad he made $82 million last year and he would wipe his ass with UFC's 10K/10K + 2500 Reebok pay. This guy would with proper training would steamroll that garbage HW division.

Teddy+Riner+Olympics+Day+7+Judo+fgmr5-_Wx1Wl.jpg

The UFC wishes they could get someone like him. Too bad he made $82 million last year and he would wipe his ass with UFC's 10K/10K + 2500 Reebok pay. This guy would with proper training would steamroll that garbage HW division.

He made that money with real estate and investments. The judo circuit doesnt pay him that well. Oh and he has rich sponsors (sry Zuffa).

VoxPop

He made that money with real estate and investments. The judo circuit doesnt pay him that well. Oh and he has rich sponsors (sry Zuffa).

Yeah either way, he has far more lucrative paydays doing that than getting punched in the face for peanuts. He netted $750K for his last judo seminar. He would Ronda everybody.

Yeah either way, he has far more lucrative paydays doing that than getting punched in the face for peanuts. He netted $750K for his last judo seminar. He would Ronda everybody.

Ronda profits from a outrageously weak division. She also got mass appeal and she can talk and express her thoughts in a clear manner. Which is already a plus plus for that company. ITs only a matter of time till some killer prodigy just takes her out and everybody forgets her as fast as she came into our lifes.

VoxPop

Ronda profits from a outrageously weak division. She also got mass appeal and she can talk and express her thoughts in a clear manner. Which is already a plus plus for that company. ITs only a matter of time till some killer prodigy just takes her out and everybody forgets her as fast as she came into our lifes.

I don't disagree. And I didn't mean he would be popular or anything like that but he would dominate every scrub in that HW division. We live in a world where guys like Arlovski and Hunt are gatekeepers. And D-class athlete Cain ruled over that division for quite some time. While the HW division might not be 'outrageously' weak, its still and the 2nd weakest division in the UFC.

I don't even think it will be some killer prodigy that takes Ronda out either. It's going to be Cyborg, mark my words. The UFC would be stupid to ever let that fight happen. Ronda would get fucking murdered.

industrian

I think that Teddy Riner would need to cut around 40lbs to make weight.

That + being punched in the face + paltry UFC pay + worse Reebok pay + being demonized as a sell-out by the French Judo crowd and being 86'd by them = no fucking chance of him ever doing MMA.

The only hope for future HW fighters is getting second-rate wrestlers from the USA (guys who didn't make the football team), European kickboxers, and the occasional Russian or Iranian wrestler who's willing to fight for a fresh plate of ham turkey ham and eggs.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I can't remember the last time I cringed this hard. Those tweets are so embarrassing.

I'm not that excited for this card either, mainly because a couple of the main event fights have the potential to turn into boring wrestling matches (Woodley vs Hendricks, Bader vs Evans), and now that we know that Jones is off the hook it makes the Cormier vs Gustaffson fight seem pointless. Who cares about a fake belt.

industrian

I saw that #Halo5 back-and-forth on MMAFighting's Morning Report. What a hilarious way to build hype for the UFC equivalent of two turkeys fighting for the chance to pretend to be an eagle.

VoxPop

UFCs designers have earned their pay yet again:

CQHsyyUUYAAkkyZ.jpg

Anyway, I have zero hype for the card this weekend, and I like DC. Guess it will depend on how hungover I am.

I mean, this is the worst attempt at beef and cross promotion I can remember.

LOL

@AlexTheMauler you’re gonna lose so badly that you’ll wish Spartan Locke would put you out of your misery #UFC192 #Halo5

ugh

Also surprisingly, when you have two wrestlers going at it. It usually ends up being a stand and bang affair due to the stalemate in grappling. But overall, it is indeed a shitty event.

I also wish they wouldnt stack these shitty international cards with local talent unless they were actual relevant fights. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they were on the prelims but they fill the entire main card with them too.

Is Paige VanZant really headlining a card? That being said, everything from UFC 194 onwards looks pretty great.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Also surprisingly, when you have two wrestlers going at it. It usually ends up being a stand and bang affair due to the stalemate in grappling. But overall, it is indeed a shitty event.
Yeah, that's true. I think it will def happen with Bader and Evans. However, Hendricks basically went on record and said he is going to wrestlefuck everybody from now on, as when he has mainly just stuck with striking he has lost 2 fights he thinks he won (Lawler, GSP). Ugh.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't know what you're talking about. Looking at this card was more exciting than most full UFC events. "Holy shit! Rashad Evans isn't retired?!" was more of a shock than Gegard deciding to defend kicks with his face.

Top Bottom