• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Eanan

On the bright side, there's a good chance we'll soon have definitive proof to put an end to the "Could Ronda Rousey beat a male MMA fighter" debate.

damn

im stealing that

bRNEhRX.png

Heel

UFC Heavyweight Brendan Schaub Calls It Quits, Steps Away from Fighting

It wasn’t an easy decision, but fighting no longer appeals to Schaub, especially after the UFC’s sponsorship deal with Reebok. Through the athletic apparel brand’s tiered payout structure, Schaub estimated that he was only making about 10-percent of what he was able to generate before the fight promotion inked a contract exclusively with Reebok.

“It just doesn’t make sense. I can’t see myself, when it comes down to this, I can’t see myself in a Reebok kit walking out to that Octagon. I can’t see myself being like, ‘You know what? Cool, man. Yeah, that’s what I’m worth. I’m worth 10 grand to you guys. I’m gonna do this.’ And I have other opportunities,” he said.

“I’m stepping away from the game, man. There’s not going to be no Schaub Reebok kits out there. I won’t be fighting anyone any time soon.”

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think Schaub made a good decision.

IIRC he was considering cutting to 205, and I'm sure he could make a decent run there, but just like with being at HW if he gets into a brawl then he's not got the chin to trade blows with Rumble, Gus, DC or Jones.

Schaub's an attractive athletic dude with enough brains and employable skills to do well outside of fighting. That and I'm sure he'd get paid more by sponsors to turn up for a fitness/bodybuilding expo than he would to put himself through a fight camp and then get laid out in the first.

Having a glass chin at HW and LHW in MMA is a fantastic way to become a vegetable. Just be true to yourself and acknowledge whats there. We're not talking about being a over the hill basketball player or soccer player. MMA is the most dangerous sport in the world.

Eanan

Having a glass chin at HW and LHW in MMA is a fantastic way to become a vegetable. Just be true to yourself and acknowledge whats there. We're not talking about being a over the hill basketball player or soccer player. MMA is the most dangerous sport in the world.

In what sense? Lots of sports are dangerous if you cant protect yourself. You should check out Hurling. Its not for the timid. Rugby is also up there where players get injured often.

VoxPop

Just caught up on Ariel's 300th podcast. Great guests and a great listen. He works right next to my office too and he always gives me the dumbest smirk when I give him a nod.

New MMA committee will take a look at regulations like 12-to-6 elbows, 10-8 rounds
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/...ake-a-look-at-regulations-like-12-to-6-elbows

Sean Wheelock is heading some committee but I can't figure out from that article what power if any it holds.

Wheelock, a certified boxing referee, was appointed as a commissioner on the Kansas Athletic Commission in July. But, more influentially, he was also recently installed by ABC president Mike Mazzulli as the chairman of a brand new MMA rules and regulations committee.

It is Wheelock's goal to pattern the committee after the NFL's competition committee, which has been instrumental in making changes to league rules over the years. MMA is still a young sport and Wheelock firmly believes it needs to continue to evolve and improve.

"Every year the competition committee asks themselves two questions: How do we make the NFL safer and how do we make the NFL better?" Wheelock said. "They study, they debate."

Wheelock will be holding monthly conference calls with the committee, a powerhouse group of names he handpicked: Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, John McCarthy, Jeremy Horn, referee Rob Hinds, referee Kevin MacDonald, ringside physician Dr. David Watson, Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission director Matt Woodruff and Brian Dunn, the head of the Nebraska Athletic Commission.

Anyone know if this would actually change anything?

Anthony Bourdain's jiu jitsu episode airs this Sunday.

"I do it because it’s hard. Because it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. And because it never ends. Every day presents me with a series of problems that I spend the rest of the day thinking about how I might solve — or at least chip away at. Next day same. And the day after that."

"When I recently got my blue belt, after over two years of training, it was, other than the birth of my daughter, pretty much the greatest day of my life. That belt doesn’t mean I’m any good at jiu jitsu, by the way. It just means that I worked really, really hard at something. And that presumably, I suck at it just a tiny bit less."

https://medium.com/parts-unknown/sweep-the-leg-johnny-2004ad77ec1

VoxPop

Lol can't believe I'm home on a Saturday night getting ready to watch Fitch vs Okami.

edit: yup that was a huge mistake

^ Brother and sister on the same card?!

In other news....

"According to UFC sources close to MMAnytt, the organization will do away with 50 fighters over the weekend. The organization currently has around 560 fighters under contract. Which fighters will lose their contracts is currently unclear, but they are expected to get their statements on Monday and Tuesday next week."

iddqd

In other news....

"According to UFC sources close to MMAnytt, the organization will do away with 50 fighters over the weekend. The organization currently has around 560 fighters under contract. Which fighters will lose their contracts is currently unclear, but they are expected to get their statements on Monday and Tuesday next week."

Good, a leaner UFC might mean better overall fightcards.
All those Brazilian TUF winners can fight in jungle fight or Bellator.

VoxPop

I honestly wish they would just cut everyone not in the top 10-15.

Move the rest to a newly created WEC like promotion under their banner along with the 125 + 135 + 125 (w) division. It's not like they draw anyway.

They can highlight their Fight Nights with those guys/gals and keep the PPVs stacked with more relevant fighters. It will also not show the UFC as a cesspool of these shitty fighters. Leave that to Bellator and WSOF. If it's a big enough fight like Dillashaw/Cruz, they could just promote it to PPV as a one time thing like they did with Aldo/Faber back in the day.

They could still put on decent Fight Nights with guys like Sage, Joanna, Dillashaw, Mighty Mouse, Hunt, and even use guys like Punk + Kimbo without much worry.

They could also just have a tourney system to move guys up the rankings to get promoted to the big show. Kinda like NXT.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Making Sage Man Zant fight another dude with no wikipedia page is smart for business.

Oh, and putting it on FightPass is sure going to pull all those casual viewers in...

Yaari

Good, a leaner UFC might mean better overall fightcards.
All those Brazilian TUF winners can fight in jungle fight or Bellator.

Yeah TUF is the main reason for all those scrubs. They sign like what, 10 after every season? It adds up when you have TUF Brazil TUF Japan and god knows what else they have going on.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
cuts thus far

Marcus Brimage
Eddie Gordon
Matt Van Buren
Christian Giagos
Roger Navarez
Chris Clements
TJ Waldburger

I am enamored with Sage Northcutt. He has the look of a Starship Trooper's character with the brimming optimism of a Chick-Fil-A employee. He's a marketer's wet dream.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Soa Palelei retired, and these jobbers got cut:

WW: Lewis Gonzalez (10-2, 0-1 UFC)
LW: Ivan Jorge (26-5, 2-2 UFC)
LW: Naoyuki Kotani (33-13-7, 0-5 UFC)
WW: William Macario (7-3, 1-3 UFC)
WW: Joe Merritt (6-1, 0-1 UFC)
LW: David Michaud (8-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Pawel Pawlak (11-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Hernani Perpetuo (17-5, 0-2 UFC)
LW: Vagner Rocha (11-4, 1-3 UFC)
WW: Amir Sadollah (6-5, 6-5 UFC)
LW: Leonardo Mafra Texeira (12-3, 1-3 UFC)
LW: Francisco Trevino (12-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: T.J. Waldburger (16-9, 4-4 UFC)
MW: Luke Zachrich (14-4, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Roger Zapata (4-2, 0-1 UFC)

Total UFC Record: 19-38

VoxPop

Soa Palelei retired, and these jobbers got cut:

WW: Lewis Gonzalez (10-2, 0-1 UFC)
LW: Ivan Jorge (26-5, 2-2 UFC)
LW: Naoyuki Kotani (33-13-7, 0-5 UFC)
WW: William Macario (7-3, 1-3 UFC)
WW: Joe Merritt (6-1, 0-1 UFC)
LW: David Michaud (8-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Pawel Pawlak (11-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Hernani Perpetuo (17-5, 0-2 UFC)
LW: Vagner Rocha (11-4, 1-3 UFC)
WW: Amir Sadollah (6-5, 6-5 UFC)
LW: Leonardo Mafra Texeira (12-3, 1-3 UFC)
LW: Francisco Trevino (12-2, 1-2 UFC)
WW: T.J. Waldburger (16-9, 4-4 UFC)
MW: Luke Zachrich (14-4, 1-2 UFC)
WW: Roger Zapata (4-2, 0-1 UFC)

Total UFC Record: 19-38

Great job UFC. Especially that Macario and Trevino cut. Surprised they released Amir Sadollah but he hasn't exactly done anything notable. I believe he was the one of the few, if not only fighters to debut in the UFC at 0-0. Punk is next.

brentech

Great job UFC. Especially that Macario and Trevino cut. Surprised they released Amir Sadollah but he hasn't exactly done anything notable. I believe he was the one of the few, if not only fighters to debut in the UFC at 0-0. Punk is next.

Didn't do a whole lot once he was in, but I loved watching that kid on the show. A lot of heart, not enough talent.

Top Bottom