• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

man UFC 1 is an amazing watch

the first 10 or so are great, even when they get horribly boring (severn-shamrock, gracie-shamrock II, uh... basically any ken shemrock match that doesn't end quickly is fucking awful in the ufc). you get to watch royce use jiu jitsu for survival rather than for sport. you get to see freaks of all sorts punch each other in the nuts and pull each other's hair. you see the sport evolve rapidly. by ufc 20 - 30, the sport is at least recognizeable by modern standards... but the first 10 or 15... totally different story.

Fox318

the first 10 or so are great, even when they get horribly boring (severn-shamrock, gracie-shamrock II, uh... basically any ken shemrock match that doesn't end quickly is fucking awful in the ufc). you get to watch royce use jiu jitsu for survival rather than for sport. you get to see freaks of all sorts punch each other in the nuts and pull each other's hair. you see the sport evolve rapidly. by ufc 20 - 30, the sport is at least recognizeable by modern standards... but the first 10 or 15... totally different story.
I mean it starts off with the commentator burping

Also just watched

Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio Rua

And
Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II

Fox318

that burp-hiccup combo is deadly

welcome to mcnic *hick - belch* nicols arena where we will witness the ultimate fighting challenge tonight.

Honestly its interesting to see how the rules developed and the need for say the ref to maintain control.

Eye gouging and groin strikes seem obvious but things like no kicks to a grounded opponent, no 12-6 elbow strikes, and no knees to a grounded opponent would only really come into play with the sport evolving over time.

brentech

but things like no kicks to a grounded opponent, no 12-6 elbow strikes, and no knees to a grounded opponent would only really come into play with the sport evolving over time.

Recommend watching some PRIDE in this regard.

For some old crazy finishes check out Fedor vs Randleman: http://www.ufc.tv/video/fedor-emelianenko-vs-kevin-randleman-pride-critical-countdown-2004
and
Hughes vs Newton: http://www.ufc.tv/video/matt-hughes-vs-carlos-newton-ufc-34
A not so pretty brawler fight with a crazy ass ending: http://www.ufc.tv/video/scott-smith-vs-pete-sell-tuf-4-finale
And one of my favorite fights from the WEC: Torres vs Maeda: http://www.ufc.tv/video/miguel-torres-vs-yoshiro-maeda-wec-34

More current, I hope you've already caught up with or saw UFC 189. The entire main card was fantastic and a much watch.

eXtv

Banned
Every Scott Smith fight is awesome. Him KO'ing Cung Le with that gorgeous left hook in The Shark Tank will live forever.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why do so many people dislike Overeem?

The great Seanbaby said it best, "Allistair Overeem is a Dutch kickboxer genetically engineered by Marvel comics to fuck your girlfriend."

He also gets hyped to heaven, but has a glass jaw.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Why do so many people dislike Overeem?

He's an arrogant, overpaid, overhyped, one-dimensional can crusher who relied on dubious means to rebuild his career at heavyweight. That and everyone was looking forward to seeing JDS vs. Reem in 2012 before he got caught (whether you hate him for taking gear or for getting caught is a different matter altogether.)

That said, I'm still a fan. His fights are always watchable - if just for the suspense of knowing that he could get laid out at any moment. Reem also still has amazing skills - and even though it's obvious that Jackson/Wink are getting him to fight "safer", he could still brutally KO anyone given the opportunity.

For the record, I'm glad that JDS/Reem is finally going down. This could have easily have been a "lost" fight like Couture/Fedor. Smart money is on a first round KO win by JDS, but anything can happen.

VoxPop

Overeem's contract is up after the JDS fight. If he falls at JDS' first punch he'll still be fresh enough to fight Fedor. #believe #zipzap

Fedor would probably only take the fight if Overeem looked extremely terrible though. Reem is going to need to pull a Holly Holm if he ever wants Fedor to open up those pussy lips.

eXtv

Banned
He's an arrogant, overpaid, overhyped, one-dimensional can crusher who relied on dubious means to rebuild his career at heavyweight. That and everyone was looking forward to seeing JDS vs. Reem in 2012 before he got caught (whether you hate him for taking gear or for getting caught is a different matter altogether.)

That said, I'm still a fan. His fights are always watchable - if just for the suspense of knowing that he could get laid out at any moment. Reem also still has amazing skills - and even though it's obvious that Jackson/Wink are getting him to fight "safer", he could still brutally KO anyone given the opportunity.

For the record, I'm glad that JDS/Reem is finally going down. This could have easily have been a "lost" fight like Couture/Fedor. Smart money is on a first round KO win by JDS, but anything can happen.

He's a better grappler than striker, he just doesn't show it much. He's the only guy that went into Mir's guard for a sustained period of time and didn't get something torn off.

Also, the best inside fighter the Heavyweight division has ever seen. Overeem is absurdly talented, he just fails to put it together well.

Not true.

Reem is gonna
tumblr_m4wa4jYoMU1rxtc95o1_250.gif
JDS Ricky Oh style.

RDA and McGregor are on a crashcourse for each other. That is until somebody stops RDA. I don't know who will stop RDA since he has destroyed many of his opposition (so has Conor).

It should be a competitive fight when they fight. I foresee alot of grappling for viewership but I doubt they care much about the casuals watching and will try and finish each other as soon as possible. One thing that RDA better not do is bumrush Conor like Aldo and then it should remain "competitive".

I am honestly surprised that Overeem got the tko but like many said, Cain has took JDS' soul. Is he bound for gatekeeper status? I doubt it. He still has some fight left. Top 5 imo.

Nice co-main and main event.

MjFrancis

I knew that while Cowboy has been looking better since his last run in with RDA, Dos Anjos has been looking even better than that. I thought RDA would win, but not like that. Such a one-sided affair. No early stoppage. Plenty of time to show that Cowboy had no other plans but to turtle up and hope for the best.

Still, as always with no exception, a Donald Cerrone fight is always an exciting affair.

Eanan

Kavanagh is such a clown.

He's basically Edmond Tarverdyan. Conor is his Ronda.

Last weekend alone all of his students lost their matches minus Conor, of course.

Conor would still be great without this dude.
What an absolute crock of shit post.

You can't be serious.

eXtv

Banned
SBG are a low-tier gym, McGregor is a special talent and would've thrived everywhere. People calling him the Irish Greg Jackson (yeah, I know) have completely lost it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Just watched the fights.

Diaz/Johnson is a top ten No Employable Skills fight. The action was constant and Diaz's taunting was brilliant. Johnson looked all out of ideas. It reminded me of the Diaz/Cerrone fight four years ago.

Overeem surprised me. Jackson/Wink have him fighting more cautiously now which - while not entertaining - is certainly helping to cover his weaknesses and to make him a less reckless fighter. JDS really needs to look at his career now. He's taken a shitload of damage from those two Cain fights, the Miocic fight and now this.

I'm really surprised Cerrone got stopped like this. His body language after the fight said it all - this was his chance and he fucked up. How Cerrone responds to this is anyone's guess.

SBG are a low-tier gym, McGregor is a special talent and would've thrived everywhere. People calling him the Irish Greg Jackson (yeah, I know) have completely lost it.

I've no real horse in this race, but McGregor seems to be the only high-level fighter from that gym. Whether McGregor is a special one and his coach is sub-par, or his coach is excellent but McGregor is the only real talent there is a question best left for time to answer.

FaceTurn

But Cerrone has always said he doesn't care about the belt unless he meant it in that ufc preview where he said he'd bring it home to his grandma who is terminally ill.

What an absolute crock of shit post.

You can't be serious.

Ehem. Read below below.

I've no real horse in this race, but McGregor seems to be the only high-level fighter from that gym. Whether McGregor is a special one and his coach is sub-par, or his coach is excellent but McGregor is the only real talent there is a question best left for time to answer.

Are you really trying to tell me he's a masterful coach? Really? Got any proof?

brentech

Oh, semantics? Oh, sorry. I guess everything must be verbatim now, huh?

Not really semantics. You took what was essentially a question of 'is he is a sub-par or and excellent coach, time will tell'......and turned it into "oh, you're saying he's masterful"?

That's a total misreading of the point he was making.

Not really semantics. You took what was essentially a question of 'is he is a sub-par or and excellent coach, time will tell'......and turned it into "oh, you're saying he's masterful"?

That's a total misreading of the point he was making.

Oh, I see the misunderstanding here. It's on me because my last comment of the quoted post wasn't directed at the comment directly above mine. It was still pointed at the initial quote I commented on.

I chose a poor layout for my post.

All of my posts were directed at the dude saying my post was "a crock of ****".

Sorry about that.

ApharmdX

Banned
Early stop to a shit fight

How was it an early stoppage when Dos Santos got dropped like a sack of potatoes and ate three clean hammerfists on the jaw? JDS has taken four bad beatings in the last couple of years. Mirgliotta saved him from further damage.

Dos Santos should consider early retirement. He's always been too hittable even in his wins. He's a tough fucking guy, man, but there's a point beyond which it's just not safe. Cain put JDS through the grinder, twice, in two of the most prolonged beatings I have ever seen as an MMA fan.

Good on Alistair for this win. This was "contract year" fight, so to speak... the UFC should give him big money, again, and sign him up to a title fight. He can beat Werdum. He clowned on him the last time they fought. Cain, ehh, I don't think so, but it'd be entertaining at least.

eXtv

Banned
Reem can beat both Cain and Werdum if he fights properly. Both those guys make their bank on the inside, and he's the best inside fighter in the division.

He's been the best Heavyweight since Fedor, technically, for a long time. Just hadn't been able to put it all together.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It's nice to see the Overeem hype train is rolling again.
Imagine if this fight had happened back in 2012. The K1 level striking hype would have been so real that Dana would've been on the phone to Hari and Hunt would've been put on the McGregor path to a title shot.

Top Bottom