• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

MjFrancis

Well, I bit the bullet and I'm jumping into UFC Fight Pass to see Namajunas v VanZant tomorrow. Any recent Fight Nights I should catch up on? All I've seen of late is the card from Korea.

Yeah, restarting my Fight Pass for some Sage and Page.

XhOR6QH.jpg

Damn, no smile on Page.

MjFrancis

8989397.jpg

She lost in every aspect possible last night - in striking, grappling, takedowns, damage inflicted, etc, etc. but still, I can't help but like Paige a little bit more after that performance.

She was outclassed, knew it, admitted as much in the post-fight presser, but was already willing to go back to training camp and shore up her weaknesses. She wasn't ready for Rose at all but she showcased some impressive resilience and great cardio. I didn't notice her breathing heavy until she sat in her corner before Round 5. At that point I don't blame her.

Now bring on Rose Namajunas and Joanna Jędrzejczyk. Rose was really impressive, Pat Berry seems to have been a great asset in her corner, and I want to see what she can bring to Joanna. Rose looks more on point every time I see her.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
There's really no good way to stop people from the system we have in MMA that basically forces people to lose unhealthy amount of weight to be a contender.

IV ban has been somewhat of a deterrent.

Day-of weigh ins.

MjFrancis

A buddy of mine suggested day-of weigh-ins - it's a good idea, but you have to deal with the politics that most champs aren't going to be champs after that change gets passed. The UFC would probably give them a fairly advanced warning, but even then I would forsee a lot of vacated titles. It would almost be worth it to just reset all belts at that point, which is also a risky and perhaps crazy move.

zewone

Day-of weigh ins.

A buddy of mine suggested day-of weigh-ins - it's a good idea, but you have to deal with the politics that most champs aren't going to be champs after that change gets passed. The UFC would probably give them a fairly advanced warning, but even then I would forsee a lot of vacated titles. It would almost be worth it to just reset all belts at that point, which is also a risky and perhaps crazy move.

I think people would still try and lose a good amount of weight, but probably less than we have now. Also probably less drastic weight cuts.

I wouldn't mind it. I like watching the sport for who has the best technique, not who has the best nutritionists.

Boxing used to do day-of weigh-ins until some time in the 80s. They stopped doing it for two reasons.

First, if a fighter fails to make weight the day of the fight, there may not be enough time to satisfy the other fighter that the fight should still be on or give the overweight fighter additional time to make weight. Promoters, TV networks, advertisers, etc. really don't like losing out on the opportunity to make millions. Doing the weigh-in a day before the fight gives them extra time to keep the fight on if one of the fighters misses weight. Second, there are potential health reasons for doing weigh-ins the day before. When weigh-ins were day-of, fighters were dehydrating themselves to crazy lengths to get a size advantage over their opponents. Without enough time to rehydrate, it's theorized they were are greater risk for brain injury and death. Certainly it affects a fighter's cardio and reaction time if he or she is dehydrated.

I think there are a few states that still do day-of weigh-ins. It's common in boxing to do the initial weigh-in (the one that matters) and then do a weigh-in on fight day as well (it's interesting to see how much each fighter has rehydrated in 24 hours). Some states limit the amount of weight you can gain in 24 hours in an attempt to stop fighters cutting 20 - 30 lbs and rehydrating afterwards.

Day-of weigh-ins are great in theory, but there are drawbacks to them in practice.

SUPERKOMBAT in the middle of airing a live free show on Youtube from Italy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWcjdKgaqMc

4 fights left at the time of typing, so far there's been, in order:
Can who accepted fight on super-short notice, was visibly scared entering the ring, took 5 minutes just to get gloves on with help, put no offense up, and quickly gave up
Guy KO'd via "liver shot" 7 replays never showed happening
Guy getting murdered with one punch
Guy getting folded over the ropes and then being held down by the ref so he wouldn't get up to take more abuse
Unanimous decision win
Guy getting laid out with multiple punches and shocked the fight was stopped afterward
Temporary break because corner padding fell off
Can TKO'd because he dislocated his shoulder missing a punch then going for a takedown after falling

ed: I

I don't know what to say about that main event

VoxPop

Rockhold vs Silva is the only interesting middleweight fight imo.

Feel bad for Aldo. He was completely defeated before he even stepped foot in the cage. That was nearly the perfect ending to end that story. That one punch may lead to the end of his career. He just looked broken. AWESOME main event. Lame main card despite the insane lineup.

Eanan

Feel bad for Aldo. He was completely defeated before he even stepped foot in the cage. That was nearly the perfect ending to end that story. That one punch may lead to the end of his career. He just looked broken. AWESOME main event. Lame main card despite the insane lineup.

Exactly. The ending was fitting giving the year we had with the build.

Bad card in general, 189 was the complete opposite.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Exactly. The ending was fitting giving the year we had with the build.

Bad card in general, 189 was the complete opposite.
UFC 189 is without a doubt the best card of the year. I can't think of a card that was even close as entertaining as that.

Chesskid1

Banned
damn, didn't think this PPV would be so popular. dave shoeller(?) said it might be a new PPV record. pretty amazing year for the UFC overall, conor approaching(surpassed?) ronda.

2016 will be a huge year as well
-3 Conor fights (he said he wants to stay really active)
-Rousey rematch
-Jones Return
-GSP & Diaz will probably return as well.

haven't head anything about silva. really curious if UFC will give in and let conor hold a belt in two divisions. he is being very vocal about keeping his current belt and fighting cerrone for another belt.

I feel Chris's pressure was taking over but that stupid spinning shit cost him the belt.

Rockhold's conditioning sucked.

Isn't everyone saying Luke's camp was horrible? He had a staph infection and other injuries. He alluded to it in the post fight interview.

Seems like almost every division has been thrown on its head this year. Exciting because of new/fresh match ups. But sad to see Aldo go out the way he did.

Looking forward to the Fox card.

The McGregor hype train could potentially get bigger.

Next week's fight card is on Fox and McGregor is gonna be cage side. Him challenging the winner of Dos Ajos/Cowboy on national TV could be huge. McGregor with the mic on primetime Fox??? $$$

Fox318

Rockhold is a stud.

Also now that I have fight pass is their a list of stuff I should look at?

So far all I've watched on fight pass was the fight pass card last night and don frye vs yoshihiro takayama.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I finally got around to watching 194.

The Aldo/McGregor fight reminded me of Cain/JDS 1. Hopefully Aldo gets a rebound fight and they have a rematch relatively quickly. But McGregor probably wants a LW title shot - and there's a very big chance of Aldo being broken and going down the same path that Barao did. This may be the beginning of the end for him.

I'm man enough to admit to getting choked up when I saw Rockhold crying. I didn't rate him at all during Strikeforce, and I wrote him off after the Vitor loss. But he's more than proven himself as a fighter and he deserves the belt. Hopefully he'll be able to defend his belt more routinely than Weidman did. His leg looked fucked up after the fight - and personally I always cringe a little whenever I see someone throw leg kicks at Weidman.

Romero's one of my favourite fighters. I'm not sure if he knows he's a heel, but his rule bending/breaking and Jesus combo makes him one of the true heels in MMA. That and the fact he's a killer. If he fights Rockhold next then he's gotta work on that gas tank.

Nelson got completely and utterly emasculated. 30-fucking-25. Maia is contender material, but I see him losing to Hendricks, Woodley or Rory. At this point I'd consider Nelson a mid-tier gatekeeper.

Holloway has proven himself a contender at 145, but I feel that the gulf in quality between the top four (McGregor, Aldo, Edgar, Mendes) is too much for him to get through. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

eXtv

Banned
I'm thinking of getting Fight Pass. Do they have just specific fights or is it all cards like Mir vs Brock 2 (or UFC 100)?

Specific fights, and full cards. Their collection has some holes in it (post-buyout Strikeforce cards, more recent FOX fights) but it's the most complete you'll find anywhere. I bought in just for the convenience of it all.

Top Bottom