• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hate to say it but I think I'm going with Conner. I see aldo slowing down in latter rounds and conners strikes adding up for a decision win.

Anyone else feeling the Nelson - Maia hype? Pretty much my favorite match up on this card after McAldo. Might be a grappling stalemate but I think that they really could put on a show.

Heel

CVj6oACVEAAY0VL.png:large

I will grab Aldo at plus money.

I dont think Ive ever seen Aldo at those odds. Just remind yourself of UFC's excellent hype job machine that led to disastrous betting picks for Honda/Holm.

Mjöölnir;188134688 said:
Anyone else feeling the Nelson - Maia hype? Pretty much my favorite match up on this card after McAldo. Might be a grappling stalemate but I think that they really could put on a show.
They'll probably put on a subpar striking show. Maia though should fear no man on the ground. Gunner is great for sure but Maia has fought the greatest of the greats in BJJ.

By the way, Aldo McGregor embedded special is on Fox Sports today.

They'll probably put on a subpar striking show. Maia though should fear no man on the ground. Gunner is great for sure but Maia has fought the greatest of the greats in BJJ.

By the way, Aldo McGregor embedded special is on Fox Sports today.

No way, Gunnars hands are awesome, plus he's been training with McGregor for a long time now. Maia, on the other hand. Guessing that Maia will be wanting to take the fight to the ground, and the calm collected Nelson will have no problem with that.

I love Dana with the "Rousey is bigger now" bullshiet and that he will give Rousey all the time she needs. So the non champ is getting all the time she needs before fighting the champ ...

Guru-Guru

Banned
Mjöölnir;188163056 said:
No way, Gunnars hands are awesome, plus he's been training with McGregor for a long time now. Maia, on the other hand. Guessing that Maia will be wanting to take the fight to the ground, and the calm collected Nelson will have no problem with that.
I wouldn't say his hands are awesome. It was only 2 fights ago that he got outstruck, IIRC, 160-50 by Rick Story...He looked lost on his feet that whole fight.

TxdoHawk

I will grab Aldo at plus money.

I dont think Ive ever seen Aldo at those odds. Just remind yourself of UFC's excellent hype job machine that led to disastrous betting picks for Honda/Holm.

Yeah, but there's probably someone saying the exact same thing about those McGregor odds right now. The +110/-130 for that fight on 5dimes sounds about right: An almost-coinflip that favors McGregor.

I love Dana with the "Rousey is bigger now" bullshiet and that he will give Rousey all the time she needs. So the non champ is getting all the time she needs before fighting the champ ...

I can't blame him, that fight is money 5 minutes or 5 years from now. All he has to do is make sure it happens before Rousey builds her personal brand enough that UFC no longer makes sense for her.

Speaking of which, 5dimes already has odds on the rematch.

eNkF0bh.png

I wonder how many times in UFC history the rematch loser has still gotten odds as the favorite.

Edit: If UFC Embedded has taught me anything, it has taught me this: I hope Sage Northcutt is beaten mercilessly. His laugh is like auditory poison in my ears.

Brehs, dat church scene in Kingsman Secret Service

sjQsnz4.gif

aka what happens every time Velasquez loses

brentech

Edit: If UFC Embedded has taught me anything, it has taught me this: I hope Sage Northcutt is beaten mercilessly. His laugh is like auditory poison in my ears.
lol - shit seemed like a nervous tick anytime he didn't have a immediate response to someone. I wouldn't handle it any better at that age, but laughing is about the worst thing you could do.

So excited for this weekend, Sage Northcutt is just the thing MMA needs now. With his mix of Starship Troopers and 90's boy band looks, he's going usher in that optimism again that defined that decade.

Yeah, but there's probably someone saying the exact same thing about those McGregor odds right now. The +110/-130 for that fight on 5dimes sounds about right: An almost-coinflip that favors McGregor.

Aldo is the better fighter. Connor is unbelievable hype right now. I understand that people would want an english speaking champion with a flamboyant ego but I could see Connor losing badly. Keep that in mind. Great matchup!

Eanan

Even if Conor wins, which I think he will, I'll be looking forward to the plethora of ridiculous excuses as to why aldo lost that will begin to come out.

Yaari

Andy Souwer was hinting towards Aldo retiring in an interview. He trained with him for this fight (and many fights before).

I think its a very difficult fight to predict. Conor is incredibly dangerous on the feet, but has some very questionable holes in his game. If Aldo really wants to take him down, then who knows. He might be able to do that quite easily.

If Conor wins, you'll hear from Aldo's people that Aldo fought while injured before the post fight conference begins. They're probably prepping the documents now to feed to the media just in case.

Weckum

Conor gets hit quite often during his fights. I don't see how Conor will win this. Aldo will probably punch his face in.... or grind him to a boring 50-45 decision.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Aldo won a coin toss decision against Mendes. Conor is bigger, stronger, and more technical in striking over Mendes.

I see Conor mauling him.

http://i.imgur.com/Z904JCU.png
McGregor isn't stronger than Mendes. Even if he was, his grappling clearly has a long way to come. lol at a unanimous 49-46 being a coin toss. McGregor is the most dangerous striker Aldo has fought, which is a big threat because Aldo likes to fight at his opponent's pace in the stand-up and doesn't use much offensive grappling unless the opportunity presents itself or he breaks his foot. You don't need to turn McGregor into Superman or Aldo into a has-been or never-was to make this an exciting match-up.
Even if Conor wins, which I think he will, I'll be looking forward to the plethora of ridiculous excuses as to why aldo lost that will begin to come out.
Even? Why would excuses be made for Aldo if he won?

eXtv

Banned
Aldo won a coin toss decision against Mendes. Conor is bigger, stronger, and more technical in striking over Mendes.

I see Conor mauling him.

Aldo took 4 out of those 5 rounds without a shadow of a doubt. Mendes that night kills any other Featherweight, he dropped Aldo, then Aldo dropped him four times and raised his game beyond where maybe even he thought it possible.

His eye swelled shut because of a headbutt, by the way. McGregor is going to get ran over and there's no real convincing argument otherwise.

Top Bottom