• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

broz0rs

He'll be neutered as a journalist now. You know he's going to toe the line. This whole thing stinks, and I'm done giving the UFC money until they correct course or, preferably, change ownership to someone who can run it like a business.

yeah, he got shook hard during this ordeal. He literally looked as if his entire life flashed before his eyes during the podcast.

It made me think is it really worth it to report stuff just to be first? I mean, if something is going to be revealed an hour later, why stick your neck out? It happens every time on Twitter, all these mma journalists seem to so much want to be the first one to break a news that we're all eventually going to know sooner than later. Some times it feels like people on YouTube where they're determined to leave the first comment on a new Taylor Swift video.

Heel

He'll be neutered as a journalist now. You know he's going to toe the line. This whole thing stinks, and I'm done giving the UFC money until they correct course or, preferably, change ownership to someone who can run it like a business.

What are they going to do, ban him again?

What are they going to do, ban him again?

Yep.

They've already shown they can physically assault him and nobody will believe it or make it the important point of the topic, and can ban him and it'll only matter if it's talked about.

All they have to do is wait for the slightest slip up on a busy week and this can easily happen again, this time for good

Nah, UFC took the L on this. The bad PR eclipsed all the hype over 199 and 200. I'm not saying they will learn from this, but Ariel will keep doing his thing.

He hinted it got physical once and he learned not to go into the back room alone. He'll be smarter but as he explained on the MMA Hour, he's already been adjusting his practices around the UFC's bully tactics.

Fox318

Honestly the only media organization they seem to care about is ESPN.

Fox may be employing half the roster and paying the UFC but I think Dana goes through enough airports and hotel lobbies and sees ESPN and the NFL plastered everywhere.

Heel

Yep.

They've already shown they can physically assault him and nobody will believe it or make it the important point of the topic, and can ban him and it'll only matter if it's talked about.

All they have to do is wait for the slightest slip up on a busy week and this can easily happen again, this time for good

Who doesn't believe him?

Lets consider though, this happened in a 4 day stretch where Mohammad Ali died, Bisping became a champion, and Brock announced his return and it was still pretty much the biggest story going.

Heel

While I believe they'll be looking for a legitimate reason for banning him, I find it hard to believe it'll be for anything Ariel has done to date, especially for reporting a scoop.

Fox318

While I believe they'll be looking for a legitimate reason for banning him, I find it hard to believe it'll be for anything Ariel has done to date, especially for reporting a scoop.

there are other ways they can blackball him.

They could prevent any fighter or go after coaches for talking with him on his show or interviews.

Heel

They could prevent any fighter or go after coaches for talking with him on his show or interviews.

Yeah, mentioned that here the other day. Behavior that sounds right down their alley, honestly. I guess we'll see.

zewone

Rogan talks a lot of shit about the UFC on his podcast, so I don't think it's him being a corporate shill.

But, he still has a ridiculous opinion on this matter.

Fox318

Yeah, mentioned that here the other day. Behavior that sounds right down their alley, honestly. I guess we'll see.

That can reinforce their Independence from the sport and maybe it gives them a bigger platform to talk about the press or fighters organizing.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rogan talks a lot of shit about the UFC on his podcast, so I don't think it's him being a corporate shill.

But, he still has a ridiculous opinion on this matter.

Does he ever directly smack talk Lorenzo/Dana? That's who made this decision.

Finally listened to this week's MMAHour. Man, it's heart breaking listening to him in tears. You can tell he is passionate about the sport.

His situation seems like it'll be on egg shells with the way Zuffa conducts itself. They seem to like money and Ariel has brought a lot of light and interest to the sport which only helps their bottom line. Glad he got his credentials back but it just seems like a tenuous situation here on out. It obviously came to the light but when Zuffa is side talking and begrudgingly giving him his credentials back, it's insane.

So sorry for the Ferguson family. My daughter had heart failure and had to get a heart transplant. I wish they could've caught the heart failure early in order to help him. His career would've been over but we would still have him today. Sad stuff.

Bork is going to be ready for Hunt... if you know what I mean...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...522.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

Keep in mind that this just waives the four month requirement, otherwise Brock Lesnar wouldn't be able to fight until like UFC 203. He is still eligible to be tested in the month leading up to the fight, and will be tested by the athletic commission. None of this means he isn't or wasn't on PEDs, but USADA can't test a fighter that isn't on the UFC roster, and if Ariel's sources are accurate then the contract wasn't even finalized until UFC 199.

ldcommando

Banned
Keep in mind that this just waives the four month requirement, otherwise Brock Lesnar wouldn't be able to fight until like UFC 203. He is still eligible to be tested in the month leading up to the fight, and will be tested by the athletic commission. None of this means he isn't or wasn't on PEDs, but USADA can't test a fighter that isn't on the UFC roster, and if Ariel's sources are accurate then the contract wasn't even finalized until UFC 199.

I know. I'm just curious to see how many of those "random" tests Brock is going to get before the event.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Doesn't the WWE have a pretty serious drug testing program?

I feel like it has been praised before. But I'm not a wrestling chick, so I dunno. Either way, war Hunto.

Yeah the drug testing thing is likely the real reason UFC was so pissed about Ariel's announcement. If the leak happened sooner, USADA might have been at Brock's door while he was watching UFC 199 asking him to piss in a cup.

Fox318

Yeah the drug testing thing is likely the real reason UFC was so pissed about Ariel's announcement. If the leak happened sooner, USADA might have been at Brock's door while he was watching UFC 199 asking him to piss in a cup.

If Brock was training since his last WWE appearance at Wrestlemania then he should have been tested.

Frankly the commission shouldn't let him fight with just 1 month of testing when traditionally 4 months are required.

That's why Dana denied it so much and frankly I'm positive that the WWE doesn't want the rest of the world knowing how shit their testing policy is.

They only put the drug testing into place because their talent started to kill their children.

Fox318

Doesn't the WWE have a pretty serious drug testing program?

I feel like it has been praised before. But I'm not a wrestling chick, so I dunno. Either way, war Hunto.

Guys know when they are tested and results are almost never posted. Recently 3 people (1 for not getting to his door in time or something odd but he was released anyway) and the other 2 are the first violations in years to be publicly posted or suspended. One person was suspended after 10 years between violations.

All that needs to be said about the wwe is a head trainer, performer, and close friend to the VP of Talent was fired for an elevated TE ratio because he was doing a powerlifitng competition.

The testosterone/epitestosterone ratio allowed was 4-1

His was at 37-1.

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/billy-gunn-fired-wwe-ped-failure-201626

Frankly the commission shouldn't let him fight with just 1 month of testing when traditionally 4 months are required.

Athletic commissions don't require four months. Four months is the UFC policy, which has a waiver clause for the kind of scenario Brock is in, so it's being used fairly. I would be very surprised if USADA doesn't test Brock, because their random test schedule isn't dictated by the UFC, otherwise you probably wouldn't see them testing guys like Jones and McGregor so often.

Believe me - even if Brock gets tested before his fight (which is almost guaranteed not to happen) AND he pops, we wont find out about until July 10th at the earliest.

shugdaddy

Neo Member

The fighters are independent contractors though
animated-smileys-rolleyes-07.gif

And this wouldn't be like McGregor not fulfilling contracted duties, but people doing things they aren't banned from. 2 or 3 big names/draws go speak to Helwani and the UFC would back down.

I think Helwani may be a lot more careful in the future, but can also see the UFC going a bit more softly softly in the future due to the backlash.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I don't understand the logistics of those betting lines.

Brock hadn't fought in 5 years, hasn't won a fight in 6. Hunt fought for the interim title in 2014 and has won his last 2.

Fox318

Brock hadn't fought in 5 years, hasn't won a fight in 6. Hunt fought for the interim title in 2014 and has won his last 2.

Isn't it more of a stylistic matchup issue?

Didn't Stipe just take Hunt to the ground like Brock probably will?

I don't see Brock willing to fight standup for more than 20 seconds but who knows.

Personally I wish it was Josh Barnett if only for Billy Ray Robinson and Brad Rheingans stories.

I don't think Vegas is predicting a winner as much as they are predicting that a lot of casual gamblers are going to bet on Brock.

Takuan

Bet $100 on Brock to win $167.

Bet $165 on Hunt to win $100.

Unless you're saying Hunt should be the overwhelming favorite instead of a slight favorite.

VoxPop

It's because he's a 42 year old with a weak ground game who is notorious for getting submitted in the first round every time he fought a grappler who didn't decide to stand with him. He also hasn't beaten a top fighter since his decision win over Rothwell years ago who was coming off a one year layoff and torn ACL

Lines are about right. If Brock was continuously training/fighting for the better half of the last two years, he'd be a huge favorite.

Fox318

If Brock decides to try and box hunt Ronda style then hes gonna get his face smashed in.

I just see Brock charging in for a double and trying to get mount.

I mean Mir didn't attempt any takedowns in the last Hunt fight.

Top Bottom