• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

The funny thing is they're flipping out in defense of Tim Kennedy and Bellator's Michael Chandler.

Because mma-gaf apparently means ufc-gaf. Chandler is good. He has beaten good competition. Would he beat Khabib? Doubtful. But just because a guys locked in at Bellator doesn't mean he is trash.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just got back from the event! I was worried it wouldn't be as good live, but I had a great time! How's everyone doing here in the threa-

gO9DRyF.gif

VoxPop

Greatttt night of fights.

Brown looked pretty great up until Cowboy kicked his head back into the forest he came from. I'm enjoying Cowboys career resurgence at 170. A Maia or Condit fight seems like the right move right now.

Wasn't overly impressed by neither guys' performance in the main event but Holloway did what he came to do and delivered on his hype. Pettis looked just as awful as he had in his last couple of fights. Those body kicks were pretty vicious and it's pretty sad to see Pettis on such a downward spiral. Vannata would actually be a great fight at this point but might be a little early for the Groovy one to get that one.

Damn the real main event. Cub and Choi with the fucking banger. Choi was looking Fujita/Hunt-esque out there eating Cub's best shots. Choi almost finishing Cub in the 2nd and Cub blasting down the machine gun hammer fists after dropping him with the spinning elbow were absolutely insane. They both pretty much dropped any technical striking when the first round ended and went into Just Bleed mode. Hoping these guys got some good undisclosed bonuses.

I say Choi-Stephens and Swanson/Lamas 2 or Yair should be the path to take right now.

Levito

Banned
It is weird how a card that on paper was kinda lackluster turned out to be on of the best cards this year. I guess that's the nature of the sport though, never know how these things will play out.

I hope Choi comes back strong, I love that kid.

Gah I was at a bbq and only one other person wanted to watch the fights so we got out voted even though we offered to pay.

Still better than being in this thread last night, apparently. Wtflol.

Levito

Banned
Fuck another Interim belt, just have the two of them fight. That's a great match up to set aside the BS and determine the no#1 contender.

He hasn't defended the belt in 4 weeks. Strip Conor.

He won't have defended it for a lot longer than that by the time he gets back. If Conor is looking at 10 months off, that doesn't necessarily means he'll be fighting 10 months from now. That could be when he gets back in the gym to begin preparations for his return.

With a murderer's row at 155 of active fighters waiting on their shot, I can see the merit of an interim title, much as I loathe them or think Conor not only has a very valid reason to take break and but has also deserved it for being so insanely active.

zewone

He won't have defended it for a lot longer than that by the time he gets back. If Conor is looking at 10 months off, that doesn't necessarily means he'll be fighting 10 months from now. That could be when he gets back in the gym to begin preparations for his return.

With a murderer's row at 155 with active fighters waiting on their shot, I can see the merit of a interim title, much as I loathe those, and much as I think Conor has a very valid reason to take break and has deserved it for being so insanely active.

Schedule the interim in 10 months then.

It's been 4 weeks.

People can fight without a fake belt on the line and understand the implications of each win and loss without an interim belt.

Schedule the interim in 10 months then.

It's been 4 weeks.

People can fight without a fake belt on the line and understand the implications of each win and loss without an interim belt.

You say that like it's up to the fans to decide when McGregor defends his title. It's not, and because we don't know when he will be defending his title, all we can do is speculate. Given the fact he wants to go on paternity for 10 months to spare his missus the stress of his lifestyle, I don't think he'll start camp towards the end of his leave to be ready to defend his title on the 10 month mark. I just don't see it. Though, of course, that's speculation.

I'm not a fan of interim belts, but having the belt means a lot more to the fighters than it does to us because they'll be renegotiating their contracts, i.e. there's money on the line and these dudes got mouths to feed and bills to pay on top of wanting to reap the benefits of their hard work.

If I'm Tony Ferguson or Khabib Nurmagomedov and I've been busting my ass all these years to get my hands on the title and the guy that leapfrogged you to fighting for it not only wins but decides to take close to a year minimum break, then fuck it, let me fight whoever is next in line for that interim belt and set myself up for a title unification payday.

Weckum

Just saw the main card. Great fights all around. Holy shit at Cowboy and WTF @ Swanson and Choi. Both guys shaved some years off their lives there.

Also, screw Kennedy, good for Gastellum.

Also also: lol @ this thread. People defending Chandler and Kennedy. smh.

brentech

Cowboy on the UFC Unfiltered podcast confirmed what I figured he and probably some others in that MMAAA were all about, healthcare and taking care of the fighters post fight career.

I saw Van Zant knock out Bec Rawlings with the karate kid kick and it worked. I saw it but still cant believe it. I think based on that fact alone Bec should be cut. Come on, man...

Heel

Cowboy on the UFC Unfiltered podcast confirmed what I figured he and probably some others in that MMAAA were all about, healthcare and taking care of the fighters post fight career.

While that's all well and good, I don't understand why these fighters would align with Bjorn Rebney of all people instead of Jeff Borris.

Bloody Elbow: Letter raises questions about Rebney and CAA's involvement with MMAAA

Already looking slimy. Was everyone on stage repped by CAA?

I only caught the end of the Cowboy/Brown fight where Goldie said Brown got kicked to the body and Rogan had to tell him it was a clean head kick ko.

And then when Max had Pettis in side control Goldie said he is definitely not letting Pettis up from this and Max immediately stood up.

I'm gonna miss Goldie's comic timing.

brentech

While that's all well and good, I don't understand why these fighters would align with Bjorn Rebney of all people instead of Jeff Borris.

Bloody Elbow: Letter raises questions about Rebney and CAA's involvement with MMAAA

Already looking slimy. Was everyone on stage repped by CAA?
I mean, I have no damn idea, but Cowboy said he had no idea Bjorn was involved either and almost wanted to back out when he found out.
He acknowledged other guys were there for more years, but said he just wanted protection for fighters and though my he should show up.

Wallach

I'm just catching up on this 206 card. This card has been awesome, are you kidding me with this Swanson v Choi fight, holy shit.

Chesskid1

Banned
its funny khabib fans seem to forget about all these sick wrestlers in the UFC over the years, everyone thought their takedowns are just too good, no one can stop their takedown.. until they run into someone that can, then these amazing takedown artists have this look on their face, like holy shit, im facing a striker 5x better than me and i have no idea what to do now, then two years later they are cut by the UFC

SteveWD40

Christ Daley has fought a lot, 38-14-2? he is 33...

Well, Reebok is trying to get them breed.

For some reason this slayed me, then I realized it's probably true, at least to the extent the UFC would love them to pair off so they can make it an actual soap opera.

Top Bottom