• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Haunted

Choi vs Swanson fight of the year, like holy shit. Loved it. Really hope this loss doesn't throw Choi back and the UFC is appreciative of the guy's talent and staying power.

Glad Holloway got the win. I do like Pettis, but missing weight (for a main event, no less!) is an absolute no-no.

Not sure why, but I'm kinda pumped for Gall - Northcutt, the promos totally worked on me.

Choi vs Swanson fight of the year, like holy shit. Loved it. Really hope this loss doesn't throw Choi back and the UFC is appreciative of the guy's talent and staying power.

Glad Holloway got the win. I do like Pettis, but missing weight (for a main event, no less!) is an absolute no-no.

Not sure why, but I'm kinda pumped for Gall - Northcutt, the promos totally worked on me.

I was worried Choi would suffer the fate of Rory Mac, i.e. get in an absolute barn burner FOTY contender and then proceed to go on a skid and wind up in Bellator. Fights liek that really cant be good for the longevity of your career.

Looking forward to Gall - Sage too, well get to see who the real can is.

Levito

Banned
Choi is so adorable. Post fight he's like "I'm a big Cub Swanson fan and just really wanted to fight him."

The face of a kpop star and the knockout power of Chuck Liddell. What's not to like?

I always get nervous watching Struve fight. That chin is always just so high up (for obvious reasons) and floating out there and begging to be hit.

zewone

At least Cyborg's next fight should be to get her rightful belt.

Going to have a pretender get the inaugural belt like how JJ should be the only real straw weight champ.

At this point why bother trying to accommodate her. There aren't enough women her size to make it worthwhile.

Oh oh there are. You know these fat women with flabby arms and that gut who wear a rashguard in a fight? They have small bones and a small frame but they are fat and willing to punch your face. Make it happen Dana COME ON!

Supposedly she hurt herself with the last two weight cuts to 140 and needs more time to recover now.

Have you seen her cut for the Smith fight? She started crying and I tought she is going to die right there in that bed. Theres a "documentary" on youtube where you can see. It was the craziest cut Ive ever seen. She mustnt do that again.

Woodley/Thompson 2 in the works for March it seems.

Kind of annoyed, not gonna lie. Woodley won that fight, and I'd much rather see him fight Maia first.

zewone

Woodley/Thompson 2 in the works for March it seems.

Kind of annoyed, not gonna lie. Woodley won that fight, and I'd much rather see him fight Maia first.

Score was definitely tied after the 10-8 round. It's a good rematch and there's not really another worthy contender for the title shot anyways. At least none more deserving than Thompson.

UFC should make a game/reality show for Fight Pass called "Making the Cut" where contestants such as Cyborg, Jon Lineker, Kevin Gastelum, Gabe Reudiger have to reach a certain weight. The catch is they have to spin a wheel and that wheel can contain hinderances - like they have to eat a whole pizza; or assists - like free colonics.

Levito

Banned
UFC should make a game/reality show for Fight Pass called "Making the Cut" where contestants such as Cyborg, Jon Lineker, Kevin Gastelum, Gabe Reudiger have to reach a certain weight. The catch is they have to spin a wheel and that wheel can contain hinderances - like they have to eat a whole pizza; or assists - like free colonics.

They're all nothing compared to when Anthony Johnson used to (try) to cut to 170.

Heel

"First team that kicks a field goal and pushes that sled into the end zone wins the bag of epsom salt." - Dana White, episode 5

Score was definitely tied after the 10-8 round. It's a good rematch and there's not really another worthy contender for the title shot anyways. At least none more deserving than Thompson.

Nah, that was a clear draw. Woodley dominated 2 rounds but mostly lost 3 rounds.

Round 1 and Round 4 should have both been scored 10-8s.

In Round 1 Wonderboy threw one kick and then proceeded to get absolutely manhandled on the ground.

Maia is also more deserving I'd say, at this point anyway, but that's just me. I'm not opposed to a Woodley/Wonderboy rematch, I loved their first fight, it was easily FOTN for me, but I didn't like the scoring, and I sure as hell don't like Wonderboy's entitlement. The dude got mauled and never got even close to putting Woodley in danger. Now he's saying he doesn't care what Woodley thinks or he's wanting to fight next, he's getting his second shot in first.

I like both fighters, I really do. But I hope Woodley doesn't leave it to the judges next time and starches him in the first or second round.

Woodley/Wonderboy was a great match, it was super close, both fighters want a rematch, the fans want a rematch, UFC would be boneheaded to not do the damn rematch. Maia can wait. Giving people what they want is more important than trying to matchmake based purely on rankings.

Also Cowboy/Masvidal gonna be a scrap.

Levito

Banned
I really think a draw was the right call for Woodley/Wonderboy. It was so close that either one getting the victory would've been a bit controversial.

That fight was amazing anyway, why not see it again?

Chumley

Banned
Round 1 and Round 4 should have both been scored 10-8s.

In Round 1 Wonderboy threw one kick and then proceeded to get absolutely manhandled on the ground.

Maia is also more deserving I'd say, at this point anyway, but that's just me. I'm not opposed to a Woodley/Wonderboy rematch, I loved their first fight, it was easily FOTN for me, but I didn't like the scoring, and I sure as hell don't like Wonderboy's entitlement. The dude got mauled and never got even close to putting Woodley in danger. Now he's saying he doesn't care what Woodley thinks or he's wanting to fight next, he's getting his second shot in first.

I like both fighters, I really do. But I hope Woodley doesn't leave it to the judges next time and starches him in the first or second round.

I can't pick one over the other on the rematch. I think Wonderboy is going to go all out and not hold back like he did before, but so is Tyron since that worked for him pretty well last time.

Can easily see a Round 1 or 2 finish happening.

Woodley/Wonderboy was a great match, it was super close, both fighters want a rematch, the fans want a rematch, UFC would be boneheaded to not do the damn rematch. Maia can wait. Giving people what they want is more important than trying to matchmake based purely on rankings.

Making the fight purely based on rankings is what gave us Woodley/Wonderboy in the first place, and I don't think the fight was close enough to warrant Wonderboy anything other than a guaranteed shot against the winner of Woodley/Maia - which could have happened within a reasonable time frame that would accommodate Wonderboy with time to heal and train.

Gotta agree on Cowboy/Masvidal though, that's got potential FOTN if not FOTY written all over it.

I really think a draw was the right call for Woodley/Wonderboy. It was so close that either one getting the victory would've been a bit controversial.

That fight was amazing anyway, why not see it again?

I don't think Woodley getting the definitive nod would have been controversial. Wonderboy won more rounds but Woodley won his in a big way. Scoring the first round a 10-8 would not have been unreasonable at all.

I can't pick one over the other on the rematch. I think Wonderboy is going to go all out and not hold back like he did before, but so is Tyron since that worked for him pretty well last time.

Can easily see a Round 1 or 2 finish happening.

I agree that the second fight probably won't go to distance, but I get the feeling Wonderboy will actually be even more gun shy than he was before. Woodley put a beating on him in that fourth round, and it would've been called if not for that ill-positioned guillotine.

That being said, looking at what Wonderboy has done, it's undeniable the guy is dangerous to whoever at 170 so long as it remains standing.

It'd be interesting if Woodley would try to implement a few more of those leg kicks though. The one he threw was pretty significant, but I guess it left him vulnerable too long for someone as quick as Wonderboy.

zewone

I feel like Cowboy is pushing his luck. He looked pretty stiff during the Brown fight and took a lot of punishment.

Him wanting to fight in his hometown is going to bite him in the ass. Look at Weidman choosing to fight in poor conditions just to compete in New York.

Wallach

Agreed. Woodley v Thompson rematch makes a lot more sense to me.

Cerrone v Masvidal is pretty damn soon for Cerrone. He took some hard shots against Brown, and I know the dude just wants to get right back into the ring but the bill is going to come due at some point.

It's possible Cowboy didn't look his best against Brown because the latter got in his head. Cowboy claims that type of stuff doesn't affect him anymore but it kinda looked liked it did in the lead up.

Or it could just be that Matt Brown is just that stiff of a competitor and Cowboy stylistically couldn't look as good as he'd have liked from the jump, head kick KO notwithstanding.

So what does Maia do now? Fight Robbie Lawler? Sit and wait and be forgotten? I, personally, would love to see him call out GSP. I don't think he'd mind if GSP took him down.

Maia probably doesn't want to go near Lawler or GSP and risk his ranking, but on the real, in a time where we've had Holloway racking up a 9 fight win streak (10 if it weren't for DC's injury) before he got a crack at a bullshit interim title at FW, and Ferguson sitting on 9 only to need a 10th to get a shot at McGregor when he gets back - I dunno, it doesn't look like rankings matter much these days if more exciting fights can be made.

Horrendous striking? Check.

She finished Davis and Beth with the same right hand. Connected both times around the ear. Its ugly but it has power. These are her only finishes with punches.

859326298.gif

images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F08%2F02%2Fronda%2Bko%2Bgif.gif

zewone

Ah OK. It's still a mistake by sitting on the sidelines. Don't think the winner of the Diaz/Lawler fight won't leapfrog Maia to fight for the title. Both are easily bigger names than Maia.

Cowboy said he wanted Maia next. He's got some balls.

Maia seems like an unsolvable puzzle at the moment.

Levito

Banned
Ronda would be so much better off at a camp like Tristar. God talk about squandering your potential by staying with that fucking fool Edmond Tarverdyan.

Even though it's no secret that I'm not the biggest Conor fan, you gotta hand it to him as far as how he handled the loss to Diaz. That could've really started a downward spiral in his popularity but he took the loss like a champ and came back and had an amazing finish to the year. Ronda on the other hand went from being this megastar on top of the world to crashing and burning hard, her public awareness has died down significantly and it's more her fault than it is the loss to Holly. Not talking to press and saying everyone betrayed her, Christ what a shitshow her career has become. I'm honestly just ready for Nunes to crush her so we can move on from that era.

Top Bottom