• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

dream

What a wonderful, astute, insightful, and incisive article by Chuck Mindenhall. He absolutely gets it. Yes, the odds are long for BJ. But what BJ represents is individuality and singular talent in a "sport" that has never been more generic, with fighters who come out of a real world Create-a-Fighter mode, getting their brain cells extinguished for 4 and 4, while we sit idly by, unamused and unentertained, complicit in the sheer sameness and meaninglessness that has defined the past decade of human cockfighting.

This fight is not about BJ Penn. This fight is about ourselves and who we want to be going forward. To root for Baby Jay is to root for a return to an era when fights and fighters mattered. To root for Baby Jay is to reject an era where guys like "Yair 'Pantera' Rodriguez" are being sold to us as "talent" who are "in the mix" despite not being able to describe them as anything more than "well, he's sort of like Showtime Pettis but he's also like Jim Frank and Derrick Castillo and Jason de Silva all put together." To root for Baby Jay is to proclaim that yes, we want to believe that this horseshit is worth watching, and we want to give a shit about just one of the 75 fights we watch every month as we waste our lives trying to "end this suffering." To root for Baby Jay is to cast a vote to make the Ultimate great again.

BJ by armbar.

Haunted

That kid is going to retire Penn (again) with some flipping shit.

Fun quiz where you have to name every single UFC champ in every single weight class.

I got all except the second MW champ and then sat staring at my monitor for five minutes before typing Marco Ruas, having it not work, then giving up. GODDAMNIT BUSTAMANTE!!! YOU FUCKED ME!!!
Got 48 points, every champ from the point I started following the sport (~2011), except for the strawweight champion before Joanna Jedrzejczyk. I watch too much UFC.

Only missed

Dave Menne, Evan Tanner (I remembered that it was the fighter that died hiking or camping in the desert but forgot the name), Maurice Smith, Kevin Randleman, Ricco Rodriguez, Andrei Arlovski and Bustamante

Good quiz

Dysun

Quiz Result

Militech, Bustamante, Maurice Smith, Bas Rutten, Kevin Randleman, Ricco Rodriguez

Great shame for missing Bas

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I would never have gotten
Bustamante
on that quiz if it weren't for the fact that I just rewatched the Pride MW GP during the fight pass free weekend.

Missed
Menne, Militich, Randleman, Esparza, Smith, somehow forgot Vitor, and had to google how to spell Renan

I would never have gotten
Bustamante
on that quiz if it weren't for the fact that I just rewatched the Pride MW GP during the fight pass free weekend.

Missed
Menne, Militich, Randleman, Esparza, Smith, somehow forgot Vitor, and had to google how to spell Renan

Same, some names are hard to spell.......I'm glad that I didn't have to even try to spell
Joanna's
last name

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's entirely irrational but I'm hoping BJ unlocked Old Man Strength sometime in the past few years and runs through Yair.

Same, some names are hard to spell.......I'm glad that I didn't have to even try to spell
Joanna's
last name

I was certain I had the first name right and kept trying different spellings for the last name until I thought maybe it required the ~ and couldn't be bothered how to figure that out without copy/paste.

Iirc I saw a jiu jitsu video where they said that choke is impossibly difficult to pull off nogi

In gi I get a majority of my subs from ezekiel but in nogi the feel of the choke w/o the sleeve feels so off lol...and he did it from the bottom what the fuck lol

i could only imagine rogan's or bravo's reaction if they were streaming right now

pixelation

so far all of these looking for a fight guys don't look UFC ready

shocker I know

Ha!, same thing i was thinking about... has any legit talent come out of that show?, Sage has potential but you caress his neck and taps out in a second.

EDIT: Yeah Eanan is correct, Gall also has potential.

Eanan

so far all of these looking for a fight guys don't look UFC ready

shocker I know
Ehh Sage is still very young and needs to ditch his dad though. Definitely has potential at LW

And Micky Gall looks like a title contender for sure.

FUME5

BJ looks like he's going to turn around and run out of the building.

C2Qq0UwUAAAcV5l.jpg

iddqd

Tried the Ezekiel on the wife, she was not amused.
I love that one in the GI, getting it in NO GI seems nuts.

That quiz had me stumped, forgot everyone that was before 2004 apparently.

Yaari

Yay lets have a shitty show delay a good fight once again. In a period where champions hardly defend their titles anymore, this seems like a great idea.

Top Bottom