• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Chumley

Banned
You should really give this a read, zewone.

Ben Fowlkes: Is MMA one of 'the arts'? And if not, do we all need to shut up about Meryl Streep?

I agree with Ben, for the most part. MMA is a sport (well, arguably), and all Meryl did was expose the insecurities of its fans.

Yup.

Let's go down this road. Preach.

Without actors, there can be no movies. Do you know the historical and cultural significance movies have? Now tell me how MMA can claim even 1/4th that. I'll wait.

Levito

Banned
and all Meryl did was expose the insecurities of its fans.

Exactly. Again: she literally said the same thing about football right before it and you don't seen NFL fans giving two shits.

I don't even consider sports or athletics in general as "art", unless you consider human expression is just intrinsically art then why would you?

zewone

Most of MMA training is learning and perfecting techniques rather than being creative. Maybe it should be called Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts.

Really? You don't think creativity comes into play?Tell that to Yair, Pettis, McGregor, etc.

Acting is remembering lines someone else wrote.

Exactly. Again: she literally said the same thing about football right before it and you don't seen NFL fans giving two shits.

I don't even consider sports or athletics in general as "art", unless you human expression is just intrinsically art then why would you?
Maybe because football isn't an art?

iddqd

Colleague of mine wanted to talk about the Streep comments and the "liberal agenda"
l3V0w34dIIiW35KkE.gif

Looking forward to his take on pizza gate and how smart Eddie Bravo is.

zewone

Without actors, there can be no movies. Do you know the historical and cultural significance movies have? Now tell me how MMA can claim even 1/4th that. I'll wait.

Actors aren't as important as directors or writers. Hell, I think cinematographers create more art than any actor.

Following your own argument, you're really throwing the athletes that trained their whole lives to get into college football/NFL/CFL under the bus.

Yes.

Chumley

Banned
Actors aren't as important as directors or writers. Hell, I think cinematographers create more art than any actor.

Doesn't matter. Fighters need coaches. Actors need directors. Follow your own logic if you're actually going to try and equate actors with fighters in terms of artistic significance.

zewone

Doesn't matter. Fighters need coaches. Actors need directors. Follow your own logic if you're actually going to try and equate actors with fighters in terms of artistic significance.

You tried to equate actors to making history and pop culture. Sure, they're part of the machine, but they're only emphasized because that's what people see.

The people behind the scenes are the one actually making the art.

I don't believe acting and fighting can be directly related on 1:1 level at all.

Can we at least ask why she felt the need to criticize MMA? She wanted to equate it to low brow, knuckle dragging entertainment.

If you're okay with that, than that's fine. You should at least understand why others would not agree with her or you.

Yaari

Not an art to me either. When it happens outside of the cage, some MMA fighter beating the crap out of a random person. Is he performing an art?

It's just a regulated fight. I just don't feel it's very artistic anymore when two people are beating the crap out of eachother.

I've been enjoying it for many years, but I don't find it an art at all.

Levito

Banned
Speaking of art, why are we forcing Baby Jay to fight this weekend?

He's officially in please-don't-you're-going-to-get-hurt-badly-and-we-feel-bad-too-cause-you're-old-af territory.

Heel

Speaking of art, why are we forcing Baby Jay to fight this weekend?

He's officially in please-don't-you're-going-to-get-hurt-badly-and-we-feel-bad-too-cause-you're-old-af territory.

I think we can all agree it's time for BJ to retire to the art of taro farming.

Way I see it, the art lies in the discipline.

MMA is a sport. The individual disciplines that make it up, the martial arts, are as much part of the arts as writing, acting, whatever.

Banglish

Way I see it, the art lies in the discipline.

MMA is a sport. The individual disciplines that make it up, the martial arts, are as much part of the arts as writing, acting, whatever.

I feel like the combining of the individual disciplines into one cohesive application should constitute it as an art. The years it takes of refinement to have the right metrics in each discipline and when you're able to flow from standing to the ground to the clinch..etc - shit is beautiful to watch. At the end of the day, all art is subjective so this is probably a completely bullshit statement anyway so meh.

In MMA someone from 0 can make it through discipline and heart. The most beautiful and inspiring moments come from combat sports. Theres nothing better than seeing the truth inside the ring/cage and witnessing somebody just trying to do better for himself.

Streep doesnt have a clue.

nilbog21

Banned
man, meryl is never going to hear the end of that one - people need to relax (that message by kavanaugh is BRUTAL holy shit lol), she just said it without thinking and prob regrets it by now im sure. she just meant we are becoming a brute country that only cares about football and fighting? I Think? Not sure what she was saying tbh, people need to relax though this is an 80 year drama actress lol

Fighter pay again? If you cant make a name for yourself you will never get huge paydays.
For Chael talking did the trick. For somebody like GSP/Anderson fighting did the trick. Unfortunately theres alotta guys where neither does the trick.

Levito

Banned
Man one of my fondest MMA-related memories will always be BJ saying he's literally going to kill GSP.

Then the fight happened and George beat the ever loving fuck outta BJ for 4 rounds before BJ's coach threw in the towel. Classic stuff.

TO THE DEATH, GEORGE

In MMA someone from 0 can make it through discipline and heart. The most beautiful and inspiring moments come from combat sports. Theres nothing better than seeing the truth inside the ring/cage and witnessing somebody just trying to do better for himself.

Streep doesnt have a clue.

I, too, recognize the beauty of well timed cycles, hiding/running away from surprise testing, starting melee's at pressers, and insulting your opponents culture in hopes of more buys.

The new owners love interim belts.

Also heard UFC was looking to make Tyron vs. Nick Diaz , but Nick wanted too much money.

Woodley confirmed this.

I'm glad Diaz didn't take the fight. He doesn't match well with Tyron at all. Amazing wrestling, ridiculous speed and disgustingly powerful leg kicks. Nah, I'm a big Diaz fan, but Woodley is kyptonite.

Levito

Banned
Interim belts are only going to happen more and more when you consider that all of their big draws are going to be out the first half of 2017. WMA is trying to make their 4 Billion back.

Conor? Not until sometime in summer
Ronda? Lol.
GSP? Still can't figure out contracts.
Jones? Not until July.

Maddening as these interim titles can get I've come around to the lightweight division situation.

Conor has every right to taking a break given his activity, however, he just got the belt and decided to take time off. Apparently the 10 month hiatus floated initially might not be accurate, but as an unproven champion, he shouldn't be taking time off when he's fit to fight and there are some very deserving contenders vying for the belt.

I think the timing of it all is just very shitty.

brentech

Maddening as these interim titles can get I've come around to the lightweight division situation.

Conor has every right to taking a break given his activity, however, he just got the belt and decided to take time off. Apparently the 10 month hiatus floated initially might not be accurate, but as an unproven champion, he shouldn't be taking time off when he's fit to fight and there are some very deserving contenders vying for the belt.

I think the timing of it all is just very shitty.

Not going to be mad at a guy wanting to be with his girl during the hardest months of pregnancy and when the kid arrives.

Top Bottom