• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Takuan

BJ...now you are free...
gladiator-walking-thru-elysium-500-by-191.gif

kttcolito

Please quit forever BJ.

That was great but I wish we got to see BJ starched for once in his career. He always loses by stoppage. I think as a warrior BJ would have wanted to keep going until he was unconscious.

Yair is the real deal. He's still a bit wild and reckless but if someone is gonna catch him they need to do it now. He's young and confident as hell. His athleticism is also insanity.

He can be beat as there's a few holes but if someone is gonna do it now is the time

Ryck

Yair is the real deal. He's still a bit wild and reckless but if someone is gonna catch him they need to do it now. He's young and confident as hell. His athleticism is also insanity.

He can be beat as there's a few holes but if someone is gonna do it now is the time
Absolutely he is impressive but he is not ready for a title push yet. Hope Dana doesn't rush it and ruin his career.

pixelation

I don't like his spinning kicks... one of these days they will do to him what Rockhold did to Weidman. He also needs to work on his punching... it's not bad... but there's almost no power there.

Absolutely he is impressive but he is not ready for a title push yet. Hope Dana doesn't rush it and ruin his career.

Title push no. Top 8 competition yes.

That confidence is dangerous as hell. Half the fight game is mentality and the sort of self belief he puts into his fights is a nightmare.

If people wanna shut him down now is the time to jump on it before he tightens his game up even further

Also you would be surprised how massive Yair is for 145. I'm 170lbs and he was quite a bit bigger than me when I met him, in fact it was us and Stipe and I was shocked how big his frame is. His frame itself wasn't hugely smaller than Stipe (Though stipe obviously caries way more muscle and is indeed bigger)

Ryck

I don't like his spinning kicks... one of these days they will do to him what Rockhold did to Weidman. He also needs to work on his punching... it's not bad... but there's almost no power there.
Not that I disagree (cause it can totally happen) but there's a world of difference between Yair's kicking technique and Weidman's.

Oscar

Not sure why you are comparing a kickboxer's kicks to a wrestler's (weidman). Also, lol @ judging a person's "punching" based on how BJ Penn takes them. He's got (had?) a legendary chin.

What you should be calling out is his ground game. It hasn't been truly tested yet, I'm sure Greg Jackson is making sure he's working on it (hopefully).

pixelation

Not sure why you are comparing a kickboxer's kicks to a wrestler's (weidman). Also, lol @ judging a person's "punching" based on how BJ Penn takes them. He's got (had?) a legendary chin.

What you should be calling out is his ground game. It hasn't been truly tested yet, I'm sure Greg Jackson is making sure he's working on it (hopefully).

I am not saying Weidman's kicks are on the same level... they are not but does it mean that no one can catch Yair's kicks like Rockhold catched Weidman's?, and as for his punches... tell me who has he rocked with his punches alone?

I am not saying Weidman's kicks are on the same level... they are not but does it mean that no one can catch Yair's kicks like Rockhold catched Weidman's?, and as for his punches... tell me who has he rocked with his punches alone?

I mean he has decent power in his punches but that isn't really even a factor in his game. He has arguably the best kicking game at 145 and punch power doesn't determine who will be champ anyways. Sure big power in your hands is always a plus, but if it just came down to power punching Jeremy Stephens (Who the fook is that?) would be the current champ at 145

pixelation

I mean he has decent power in his punches but that isn't really even a factor in his game. He has arguably the best kicking game at 145 and punch power doesn't determine who will be champ anyways. Sure big power in your hands is always a plus, but if it just came down to power punching Jeremy Stephens (Who the fook is that?) would be the current champ at 145

Agreed... but those flashy kicks of his will get him in trouble one of these days againts a fighter who works on finding the correct timing... i am his fan and i am tense all the way through his fights because of those kicks that i love and hate at the same time.

Agreed... but those flashy kicks of his will get him in trouble one of these days againts a fighter who works on finding the correct timing... i am his fan and i am tense all the way through his fights because of those kicks that i love and hate at the same time.

It'll be interesting to watch. I agree he's a bit reckless, but in a way that plays in his favor as his extreme confidence is overbearing and fucks with people as I think they are honestly surprised he's going out there and throwing that shit constantly. Its a high risk high rewards game and he think so highly of himself he says fuck it and just goes. Its similar to a young Jon Jones. People forget because he doesn't do it as much now days, but Jon used to be a spinning machine on his way up.

Yair isn't the end all be all, but he is legit, regardless of fighting BJ. Had he fought most fighters tonight they would have been smashed as well. The top 5 of that division are beasts though so it will be interesting how he plays out against them.

Also again, don't discount how big he is in real life. Like I mentioned above, he might be the biggest 145lber I've ever met in person. He has to be at least 170lb's during his cut

Levito

Banned
Well, that went about as well as I expected.

I was never much of a BJ Penn fan but I hate seeing legends get trashed like this.

pixelation

Also again, don't discount how big he is in real life. Like I mentioned above, he might be the biggest 145lber I've ever met in person. He has to be at least 170lb's during his cut

That is true... i can tell from the fights he looks... densely packed in muscle. Who do you think wins between Yair Rodriguez and Doo Hoo Choi?

That is true... i can tell from the fights he looks... densely packed in muscle. Who do you think wins between Yair Rodriguez and Doo Hoo Choi?

Put it this way this is me (170lb) Stipe Miocic (Heavyweight Champ and 240lbs, and Yair (somehow makes 145lb) Though keep in mind I was a bit lighter here. Probaly around 160, as I've done quite a bit of heavy lifting since then

He is MASSIVE for the weight class, gonna go ahead an cover up the girl in this image as she isn't gonna be able to give ok for her likeness

Qzkc.jpg

But yeah, I would pick Yair over Choi any day

pixelation

Put it this way this is me (170lb) Stipe Miocic (Heavyweight Champ and 240lbs, and Yair (somehow makes 145lb)

He is MASSIVE for the weight class, gonna go ahead an cover up the girl in this image as she isn't gonna be able to give ok for her likeness

Qzkc.jpg

But yeah, I would pick Yair over Choi any day

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

5 ft 10in. (Stipe is 6'4) I also don't think his height on Wiki is accurate as he looked every bit of 6 ft in person (only time I've really gotten a chance to meet / talk with him though) keep in mind he's a bit closer to the camera than I am here

I've met lots of 145lbers (Cub Swanson, Chad Mendes, Anthony Pettis etc.) and Yair was very likely the biggest

pixelation

5 ft 10in. (Stipe is 6'4) I also don't think his height on Wiki is accurate as he looked every bit of 6 ft in person (only time I've really gotten a chance to meet / talk with him though) keep in mind he's a bit closer to the camera than I am here

I've met lots of 145lbers (Cub Swanson, Chad Mendes, Anthony Pettis etc.) and Yair was very likely the biggest

Sweet man, i envy you :D

Sweet man, i envy you :D

Oh there's lots.....without going into it I've met probably close to half of the UFC current roster. I think a lot of people doubted that when I was talking about Jonny having no business missing 170lbs between camps and that I was close to his size in person. Well here's that image for the doubters

Zzkc.jpg

I still have no idea how he misses weight other than just flat out not taking care of himself

For comparison here is me next to a huge Welterweight Tyron Woodley (The Champion)

d0kc.jpg

Hendricks missing weight still makes zero sense to most of us

pixelation

Oh there's lots.....without going into it I've met probably close to half of the UFC current roster. I think a lot of people doubted that when I was talking about Jonny having no business missing 170lbs between camps and that I was close to his size in person. Well here's that image for the doubters

Zzkc.jpg

I still have no idea how he misses weight other than just flat out not taking care of himself

For comparison here is me next to a huge Welterweight Tyron Woodley (The Champion)

d0kc.jpg

Hendricks missing weight still makes zero sense to most of us

Yeah man, only thing i can think of is Hendricks is a foodie and lacks self-control.

Heel

Garbrandt and Dillashaw will coach “The Ultimate Fighter” season 25, which will be comprised entirely of welterweights looking for a shot at redemption. The unique cast will be made up of former “Ultimate Fighter” winners, past contestants and one fighter who is currently on the UFC roster.

“The Ultimate Fighter: Redemption”
will debut with a special two-hour episode on Wednesday, April 19 at 10 p.m. ET on FS1.

I think the most likely outcome is he signs on for a season of TUF. Surround him with a cast of jobbers, let him work everyone into a shoot for episodes on end, blood feud with someone on another PPV. Easy money.

GoKKXE1.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I want to see Garbrandt's next fight, regardless of who he's facing. Same goes for TJ.

I do not give even a tiny bit of a damn about watching them on TUF. It just annoys me that it means the fight won't happen for a full six months.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
They need to figure out a way for him to be on the show the entire time.

Otherwise what's the point. If I was a fighter he would be the first person I would call out.

They'll just bring him back a few times like they did the season Kimbo was on. It's just down to whether anybody noogies him to TKO like Roy Nelson did to Kimbo that year.

VoxPop

Most predictable outcome in a while.

I don't know about that. Yair looked pretty lackluster in his fight against Bruce Leeroy. Did nothing but hit air with his spinning kicks for 25 minutes. His only finish in his last 10 or so fights came against Fili iirc (haven't checked recently). BJ has a granite chin so I did not expect him to get finished like that by a guy who can't finish a crossword puzzle.

But this is what happens when you put a 24 year old giant TKD guy against a much smaller 40 year old who is primarily a boxer/grappler. Yair did seem to step up his game but I can't take away much from this fight. A top 10 guy makes sense right now. Maybe Stephens, Lamas or Oliveira? Doesn't make sense to put him up against Choi right now imo. Also the inevitable Tae Kwon Do matchup with Pettis down the line.

Punk on the show would be amazing. Shit talks along side TJ or Cody then double crosses his team or some other WWE shit.

Punk and his wife would be living plush in a penthouse Vegas tower rather than the TUF house causing more resentment between Punk and the other fighters. Possibilities are endless really.

Levito

Banned
Damn, Heel is probably right on the money about the CM Punk thing. Can't imagine who else they'd be referring to from the existing roster.

DMczaf

They need to figure out a way for him to be on the show the entire time.

Otherwise what's the point. If I was a fighter he would be the first person I would call out.

They'll introduce the new "Buy In" system.

If you lose, you are given the option of buying in for another week. The pricing system will be one that only Punk can take advantage of it.

Instant full season.

Heel

Floyd Mayweather: ‘Dana White, I remember when you used to carry my bags’

“I don’t want to talk to Dana White,” Mayweather said. “Remember, Dana White, he was a player he was a boss but he was a small boss. The big bosses were the Fertittas. But then the Fertitta’s chose to sell the UFC so Dana is just an employee. Dana White - I like Dana White, I don’t have anything against him - but I can remember Dana White used to hang around me and Jeff Mayweather and carry my bags.

“Dana White, I remember when you used to carry my bags. And remember Dana White, I showed you love. You had the little Bullenbeisser patch I wore on my trunks for you, Dana. I’ve always been good to you. But then all of the sudden he cut his head bald and he’s such a tough guy. He’s such a tough guy.”

6N3uP0a.gif

Top Bottom