• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Rumble retort incoming in 3 - 2 -

Somebody's gotta.

I'm not sure Woodley gets why people don't like him:

• He didn't fight for almost a year yet he thinks he can just call his shots
  • He's calling out the 145 champ (now 155) and a retired old fighter in GSP instead of defending the belt
  • He beat a FOTN machine in Lawler with What many feel was a lucky win
  • His last fight was a fucking draw. He didn't defend so what right does he have to call shots.

Yeah bro we get it you want to make your money now but how about instead of trying to latch on to Conor's dick you make a fucking name for yourself as champ? Go out and beat Wonderboy and Mia.

Right now he's a champ who is calling out name fighters because he knows they are the draw.

1. Woodley didn't sit out, he was promised a title shot by Dana and waited his turn after Condit.
2.Are you really blaming Woodley for wanting to make some money in the McGregor era? It's not like he's picking easy fights, aside from Conor that is. Yeah, he's bad a match up for Diaz, but Bisping is the bigger man and GSP (who has been honeydicking us for years now) is the welterweight GOAT.
3. What part of Woodley feinting to secure the knock out was lucky?
4. His last fight was a draw on the cards, sure, but it was shitty scoring. Only 1 judge scored round 4 a 10-8, the other judge gave a 10-8 for round 1 but not for 4, and another judge, who scored it correctly at 48-47, gave Woodleys round 1, 3 (which isn't a bad shout) and 4 and awarded no 10-8 rounds. Point is, scoring in the first fight was horrendous, and Woodley clearly won the fight in the octagon.

What's really weird about the Woodley hate is that he's not doing anything other noteworthy champs and fighters are doing (i.e. calling for money fights) while still fulfilling his duties as champion. When he knocked out Lawler at 201, he tried to get on 202, which would have made that card even more stacked, and the only reason he called out other fighters was because Wonderboy was injured. Of course Wonderboy was like fuck that and the UFC said no, so Woodley still took the fight at 205 which was barely 3 months after winning the title, and after that, after retaining his belt, he tried to get on 207, only to be told it'd be Wonderboy again.

It's so bizarre a champion that's exciting and wants to be active gets criticised for wanting to fight after being criticised for being inactive in a period in which he, by his own words, was not offered any fights.

It makes no sense Woodley gets this much hate, and it's ridiculous to pretend race has nothing to do with it.

And speaking of race;

Silva, Rampage, Jones all super popular.

You can't pull the race card just because you're a unlikable asshole.

Cards are for games. Life isn't a game.

None of the fighters you listed have gone out of their way to talk about race and how that affects their careers.

Woodley has, and he gets an incredible amount of shit for it. Just look at his social media, the man doesn't do anything out of the ordinary and the number of people that pounce on everything he says with racist abuse is absolutely vile.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't trivialise racism just because you're uncomfortable with the fact it still exists and affects minority fighters.

pixelation

Good for him, he should've taken Rousey along with him.

Also to the poster above me, Tyron won the belt and first thing he does?, well talk about a money fight instead of fighting the next in line of course!, who does this/did it first is irrelevant... MMA fans don't like that shit. Also he pulled the "race" card after people started showing their dislike for him and not before. People didn't start disliking him after he pulled the "race" card, he has an unlikeable personality and his actions and attitude are only making him a harder fighter to root for. FUCK HIM.

Woodley is pretty fucking dumb. Everything he said didnt make any sense. The business is and always will be about interest/attention. If nobody gives a shit about Demetrious then its not because hes black its because nobody gives a shit.

There are plenty of white veteran fighters nobody gives a shit about either. So Woodley pulls the race card and mentions Jon. Jon fucked himself up so that didnt make any sense as well.

Woodley is one of those guys that shouldnt talk, just let this guy fight and make sure he shuts up.

I hope Thompson just wheel kicks him to the cosmos. I might even bet this for the tingle.

zewone

Cards are for games. Life isn't a game.

None of the fighters you listed have gone out of their way to talk about race and how that affects their careers.

Woodley has, and he gets an incredible amount of shit for it. Just look at his social media, the man doesn't do anything out of the ordinary and the number of people that pounce on everything he says with racist abuse is absolutely vile.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't trivialise racism just because you're uncomfortable with the fact it still exists and affects minority fighters.

As a minority myself I don't take actual racism as a joke.

This isn't racism.

He's looking for a reason that he's hated rather than just owning up to the fact he's not that likeable. It's self defense of his ego.

As a minority myself I don't take actual racism as a joke.

This isn't racism.

He's looking for a reason that he's hated rather than just owning up to the fact he's not that likeable. It's self defense of his ego.

Take a scroll at Woodley's social media and tell me race don't effect him. Way Woodley was saying it, Wonderboy was getting more marketing for 205 than he was, and the UFC ain't done shit with him despite being a champ for what, 6 months now? I don't think he's necessary lying about that. At the very least, the UFC hasn't done fuck all to promote him despite his fairly remarkable story as an African American family man that came from nothing and gives back a lot to his community. The only time we talk about Woodley is when he puts himself in the headlines and gets attacked for it by, you guessed it, just speaking his mind.

Y'all want to talk about the man being delusional while still on that post racial nonsense.

The history of combat sports is steeped in racism. There's no divorcing one from the other, and it disappoints me so many of you are willing to rule out race as a factor because you don't see it. Imagine living it and being told you're stupid because you talk about it. Shit's fucked up.

Yaari

Good for him, he should've taken Rousey along with him.

Also to the poster above me, Tyron won the belt and first thing he does?, well talk about a money fight instead of fighting the next in line of course!, who does this/did it first is irrelevant... MMA fans don't like that shit. Also he pulled the "race" card after people started showing their dislike for him and not before. People didn't start disliking him after he pulled the "race" card, he has an unlikeable personality and his actions and attitude are only making him a harder fighter to root for. FUCK HIM.

What made this worse for me, is that he was very outspoken prior to winning the title, about people doing this.Champions not fighting #1 contender.

Then when he got his title, he started shopping around for money fights, and telling top contenders that they didn't deserve it, and were acting entitled.

He's so unlikable. Wow. It's actually impressive in a way.

OMG, did you read about Bret Rogers? Dude was homeless, fondling people in libraries then went to jail for past domestic abuse charges and was fondling his cellmates. WTF, can you image that 300 pound man with MMA skills trying to sexually assault you?

I hope the Chael/Tito fight tonight is only three rounds. I'm not sure I can endure five rounds of gassed, grindy wrestling. I imagine it'll be a lot of Chael trying to unsuccessfully GNP Tito.

EDIT: wow, just now seeing a pic of them two at weigh ins and Tito dwarfs Chael. Maybe I'll have to rethink the idea of Chael controlling the top game the whole fight.

EDIT 2: Fedor is the betting underdog to Mittrione. :|

Oscar

Betting all in on Tito tonight.

He's +500 to win in the distance. He has underrated jiu jitsu imo, hoping to capitalize on that.

Hedged it with a +250 via decision just in case.

Got a Daley/Ortiz parlay goin too

I don't know how you guys expect Tito to win when he has three or seven fractured discs in his next that I'm sure he'll make it a point to bring up in the post fight presser.

Oscar

Ah, so this is what rock bottom looks like.
Lol, the odds are too good. Chael has shitty sub defense so it's not a big Hail Mary imo.

Chael isn't even a normal 205'er, I like my odds given that size difference as well. Tito is a gorilla.

Top Bottom