• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Chumley

Banned
It's not necessary but it's hard not to expect it when you're belittling an entire sports worth of professionals by suggesting that an MMA fighter, who isn't unbeatable in his own sport, can cross over to beat an undefeated fighter by being something that has never been seen.

It's insulting and not true. Conor could win, sure, but if he does it absolutely is not because in months of training he reaches a level a skill that the best boxers in the world who have trained for years have never been able to do.

Conor is not the protagonist in a YA novel.

Suggesting he even has a chance is an insult to boxers? You're implying I never thought any boxer ever had a chance against Floyd, which isn't true. I don't understand the need to take this shit personally, its just a harmless prediction. I also never said Conor would magically become a better fighter than Manny or Floyds other opponents. He'd have to get lucky and be prepared.

If you want to make these kind of leaps I might as well say all the Floyd nuthugging is an insult to domestic abuse victims.

Levito

Banned
Conor got out-boxed and lit up by Nate Diaz not even a year ago and some of y'all think he stands a chance against Mayweather. COME ON.

Proposal:

-Let's make this some Rizin shit, it's already freakshow
-Rounds alternate between boxing and MMA rules. First round is boxing, second is MMA, etc.

That gives Floyd a round to beat Conor, if it goes to the second round then Conor takes it easily. Everyone wins in this scenario.

:^)

If Conor were to box traditionally with him, sure. No chance.

Conor is known for being well educated and extremely creative in hand to hand combat. He's also has God tier timing and punching power.

Feel free to count him out, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he catches a 40 year old Mayweather and puts him to sleep.

Creative striking in MMA doesn't work in boxing. Do you see anyone in boxing use his wide ass karate stance? As far as age goes you do remember a 36 yr old Mayweather made a 23 yr old Canelo Alvarez look like he didn't even belong in the same ring with him.

Suggesting he even has a chance is an insult to boxers? You're implying I never thought any boxer ever had a chance against Floyd, which isn't true. I don't understand the need to take this shit personally, its just a harmless prediction. I also never said Conor would magically become a better fighter than Manny or Floyds other opponents. He'd have to get lucky and be prepared.

If you want to make these kind of leaps I might as well say all the Floyd nuthugging is an insult to domestic abuse victims.

I didn't say that suggesting he has a chance was an insult to boxers. You're pulling statements out of my response that were never there.

I said that suggesting that Conor is this special snowflake that's capable of a skill level never achieved by professional boxers is insulting. Which is what you and another poster have done.

Your predictions aren't reasonable and when people point that out you overreact. Then you back peddle into, "well that's just, like, my opinion man" defense. You're the one that comes across as taking things personal in the overall discussion, not others.

Chumley

Banned
I didn't say that suggesting he has a chance was an insult to boxers. You're pulling statements out of my response that were never there.

I said that suggesting that Conor is this special snowflake that's capable of a skill level never achieved by professional boxers is insulting. Which is what you and another poster have done.

Your predictions aren't reasonable and when people point that out you overreact. Then you back peddle into, "well that's just, like, my opinion man" defense. You're the one that comes across as taking things personal in the overall discussion, not others.

Lmao. Point out where either of us did what you're saying we did. Saying he's an ultra athelete who's better than pro boxers is not a thing that happened, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you just want to pick a fight.

Lmao. Point out where either of us did what you're saying we did. Saying he's an ultra athelete who's better than pro boxers is not a thing that happened, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you just want to pick a fight.

Pretty much every time Conor has gotten in the ring with anyone people have underestimated him and expected him to get dominated, except for Diaz 1. It's become so old hat that even in this context it seems silly to expect Mayweather to totally dominate him.He consistently defies the odds every time, and when people howled with laughter about how badly Aldo or Eddie were going to wreck him he completely turned the tables and made them both look like amateurs.

By studying him religiously, training all the time, sparring all the time, etc. He has an insane work ethic. Part of the reason why Diaz humiliated him in their first fight was because he was unprepared for his style, but once he learned it the fight totally changed.

Mayweather is still the favorite but Conor has a slim shot if he takes it as seriously as he usually does.

Dude you are saying it without saying it. You are suggesting that someone who has never fought a professional boxer before has a chance to defeat someone who is undefeated and has faced the best of the best in boxing. Not only defeat them but make them look like they don't belong in the same ring with him.

Your insistence that every time he has gotten into the ring he was expected to be dominated is utter bullshit as well, when was the last time people predicted that he would get dominated in a fight? You give him this god complex that the odds have been against him and because of that and his insane work ethic he can defeat Mayweather in a boxing match.

Mega

Banned
Conor has slim to no chance. It's like Valtellini was saying on the Rogan podcast. MMA guys come to train and they can't keep up nor take the shots from pure kickboxers and strikers... in sparring sessions FFS. MMA fighters are too rounded to excel at any one thing.

Conor is already too old and set in his ways to obtain the pedigree to hang with elite boxers. You simply don't start at almost 30 to get really serious about boxing. I don't care if he puts in the next two-three years into pure striking... he will never get to a level where he won't look like anything more than an amateur boxer vs. Floyd. Unless he's swinging for the fences and praying for a miracle flash KO, it's not happening for Conor.

But best of luck to him, I hope it's at least entertaining and not over in 1 round. Maybe work in a rule to allow some limited form of kicks and elbows? So it's not so lopsided towards one person.

Mega

Banned
Resorting to insults right out the gate? You're not going to last long here.
Grow the fuck up. Learn to accept different opinions without getting triggered and behaving like a child.
The dude has proven to be able to adapt to different styles and weight classes, changing up his style depending on the opponent. If that's not valid to you, fine. It's my opinion. Disagreeing doesn't mean you get a pass for acting petulant.
This kind of condescension is super uncool. No reason for it.
I don't understand the need to take this shit personally, its just a harmless prediction.

Comes in angry, insulting and generally super aggressive... tells others to chill and be nice. ???

Dude, you're literally the only person overreacting and seemingly angry as fuck for whatever reason. MMA talk is fun. Relax, man.

Floyd has slowed down considerably but he still kept winning and it will still be one sided. Conor never had a boxing match and he wants to fight an exceptional boxer.

Its just a bad idea but the MMA world will welcome him with open arms after losing and cashing in so thats where it all makes sense. He actually keeps a bit of his hype because people will start saying that he would have crushed Floyd in MMA but he took a shot at something new.

Chumley

Banned
Dude you are saying it without saying it. You are suggesting that someone who has never fought a professional boxer before has a chance to defeat someone who is undefeated and has faced the best of the best in boxing. Not only defeat them but make them look like they don't belong in the same ring with him.

Your insistence that every time he has gotten into the ring he was expected to be dominated is utter bullshit as well, when was the last time people predicted that he would get dominated in a fight? You give him this god complex that the odds have been against him and because of that and his insane work ethic he can defeat Mayweather in a boxing match.

Saying it without saying it is not saying it. Getting triggered over something you want to believe someone said is bizarre.

Breh...

By studying him religiously, training all the time, sparring all the time, etc. He has an insane work ethic. Part of the reason why Diaz humiliated him in their first fight was because he was unprepared for his style, but once he learned it the fight totally changed.

Mayweather is still the favorite but Conor has a slim shot if he takes it as seriously as he usually does.

The dude has proven to be able to adapt to different styles and weight classes, changing up his style depending on the opponent. If that's not valid to you, fine. It's my opinion. Disagreeing doesn't mean you get a pass for acting petulant.

If Conor were to box traditionally with him, sure. No chance.

Conor is known for being well educated and extremely creative in hand to hand combat. He's also has God tier timing and punching power.

Feel free to count him out, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he catches a 40 year old Mayweather and puts him to sleep.

There are masive blatant implications all over these types of statements. Nobody reading this thread buys your "technically I didn't say that" excuses. Just take a breath and follow your own advice. Chill out.

Chumley

Banned
Breh...

There are masive blatant implications all over these types of statements. Nobody reading this thread buys your "technically I didn't say that" excuses. Just take a breath and follow your own advice. Chill out.

You're the one desperately defending the domestic abuser. All I said is Conor could get it done if he works hard and the stars align. Maybe get over it and move on with your life.

You're the one desperately defending the domestic abuser. All I said is Conor could get it done if he works hard and the stars align. Maybe get over it and move on with your life.

Ok now you are reaching dude, being a domestic abuser has nothing to do with his ability to box. Just take your L and move on.

Clearly you're projecting because you are so far off it's hilarious.

What I'm doing is logically acknowledging the relative skills and experience of both fighters in relation to the type of fight they would have. That's it.

N° 2048

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

zewone

Conor is definitely the under dog with a small chance of winning.

I was only speaking of his small chance.

A 28 year old young man vs. a 40 year old man past his prime who is much smaller is not impossible to see how he could get caught. That's the chance that Conor is counting on.

He wouldn't go into this fight if he didn't think he could win. Even for the payday.

Conor is definitely the under dog with a small chance of winning.

I was only speaking of his small chance.

A 28 year old young man vs. a 40 year old man past his prime who is much smaller is not impossible to see how he could get caught. That's the chance that Conor is counting on.

He wouldn't go into this fight if he didn't think he could win. Even for the payday.

I give up.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Freddie Roach said Conor stopped by his gym and was getting smoked by the boxers there. How is gonna compete with TBE if he is getting smoke by no name boxers?

I mean Derrick Lewis was on MMA Hour wearing a Trump cap, no pants, and getting his feet rubbed. (I guess it was a MAGA cap, I couldn't read it but Ariel said something about it at the end.)

BadAss2961

lol. He absolutely would. He's always made it clear that getting paid is his #1 priority.

In fact, i'm 99% certain that's exactly what he's doing. He feels he has nothing to lose, which is kinda true.

Levito

Banned
I mean Derrick Lewis was on MMA Hour wearing a Trump cap, no pants, and getting his feet rubbed. (I guess it was a MAGA cap, I couldn't read it but Ariel said something about it at the end.)

I'm still baffled as to why any person of color would support a white supremacist-backed government but hey JUST BLEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

lol. He absolutely would. He's always made it clear that getting paid is his #1 priority.

In fact, i'm 99% certain that's exactly what he's doing. He feels he has nothing to lose, which is kinda true.

Exactly, he would take a lot less punishment from fighting Mayweather than fighting Diaz again....and he'd make a shit ton more money doing it.

Floyd has slowed down considerably but he still kept winning and it will still be one sided. Conor never had a boxing match and he wants to fight an exceptional boxer.

Its just a bad idea but the MMA world will welcome him with open arms after losing and cashing in so thats where it all makes sense. He actually keeps a bit of his hype because people will start saying that he would have crushed Floyd in MMA but he took a shot at something new.

Conor is only doing it for the massive payday he'll receive. Deep inside he knows he'll get whooped in a boxing match against Mayweather. Conor is simply trying to cash in as much as he can while he's hot.

Chumley

Banned
If you feel like losing brain cells, Joe Rogan is live right now with Alex Jones and Eddie Bravo.

Currently Rogan is back on his moon landing was faked shit, I guess that talk with Neil Degrasse Tyson didn't do anything for him.

Jones: "Joe you need to understand there's a pedophile psychic vampire conspiracy to destroy humanity and our children, funded by George Soros"

Rogan: "That's interesting"

If you feel like losing brain cells, Joe Rogan is live right now with Alex Jones and Eddie Bravo.

Currently Rogan is back on his moon landing was faked shit, I guess that talk with Neil Degrasse Tyson didn't do anything for him.

Jones: "Joe you need to understand there's a pedophile psychic vampire conspiracy to destroy humanity and our children, funded by George Soros"

Rogan: "That's interesting"

I could listen to a Rogan podcast about MMA all day. As soon as he opens his mouth to talk about literally anything that doesn't involve MMA, i turn it off. Him, Bravo, and that Rob Black guy i think his name is, are clowns when it comes to anything outside the scope of MMA. And honestly how Rogan is known as a comedian ill never understand. His comedy is shite and hes not funny.

Levito

Banned
I could listen to a Rogan podcast about MMA all day. As soon as he opens his mouth to talk about literally anything that doesn't involve MMA, i turn it off. Him, Bravo, and that Rob Black guy i think his name is, are clowns when it comes to anything outside the scope of MMA. And honestly how Rogan is known as a comedian ill never understand. His comedy is shite and hes not funny.

Totally agree. I still can't believe he let fucking Milo Yiannopoulos and Christina Sommers on his podcast.

I went to a Joe Rogan comedy show in 2012 basically because I knew him from the UFC, had no idea what his comedy was like. He then proceeded to literally talk about circumcision saying literally "SUCKIN' THE BLOODY BABY DICK" over and over and it was one of the worst comedy shows I've ever been to. He's awful.

Totally agree. I still can't believe he let fucking Milo Yiannopoulos and Christina Sommers on his podcast.

I went to a Joe Rogan comedy show in 2012 basically because I knew him from the UFC, had no idea what his comedy was like. He then proceeded to literally talk about circumcision saying literally "SUCKIN' THE BLOODY BABY DICK" over and over and it was one of the worst comedy shows I've ever been too. He's awful.

I had been watching MMA for years before my wife pointed out Joe was a comedian. I never picked up on that in all my years hearing him talk. I was genuinely shocked to find out. I assumed he was like the CM Punk of comedy, someone just trying it to see if they could do it. But no, he's bafflingly made a career out of it somehow

I had been watching MMA for years before my wife pointed out Joe was a comedian. I never picked up on that in all my years hearing him talk. I was genuinely shocked to find out. I assumed he was like the CM Punk of comedy, someone just trying it to see if they could do it. But no, he's bafflingly made a career out of it somehow
I've seen his comedy routines and never picked up on the fact he was a comedian.

Chumley

Banned

I went to a Joe Rogan comedy show in 2012 basically because I knew him from the UFC, had no idea what his comedy was like. He then proceeded to literally talk about circumcision saying literally "SUCKIN' THE BLOODY BABY DICK" over and over and it was one of the worst comedy shows I've ever been too. He's awful.

Agreed 100%. Nobody I like listening to more for MMA, but he sucks in nearly every other area. I listen to shit like the Jones podcast in the weird hope he decides to call that crazy fuck out on some of his BS, which he... kind of did a few times.

Top Bottom