• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

VoxPop

Conor palyed his cards well. He has all the options and his next fight is going to do huge numbers. He has to do whats right for himself and that Floyd boxing matchup would probably net him a 50+ million payday.

I love how angry Danas face went when he said it would be an epic fall if Conor were to go against the UFC. Fuck that slimeball Dana. The guy was at the right spot at the right time and he has been cashing in ever since. I would love to see Conor set up a money match without UFC's involvement. Please do it!

"It's an opportunity driven business" as Dana always says. Now he's crying about it. I love Dana but Conor absolutely deserves all the momentum he has going for him right now. It's not gonna last forever so him getting himself a huge payday is a win for every future superstar. Couldn't care less about guys on 20/20 contracts who bring nothing to the table.

UFC should just relent and let him do the Mayweather fight. It will only make him a bigger star, even if he loses. I wonder if somebody smarter than Dana at WME will eventually override him and make it happen.

Fox318

UFC should just relent and let him do the Mayweather fight. It will only make him a bigger star, even if he loses. I wonder if somebody smarter than Dana at WME will eventually override him and make it happen.

it locks up their divisional champion and if
when unfortunately
conor loses it will hurt his drawing power.

Plus Conor would be out for almost 1 to 2 years training for a fight instead of fighting 2-3 times year like they need him to be.

Then you run into issues like how the Reebok deal will work if conor fights.

Only reason Floyd fought Manny was because he couldn't get the buying public to want to see him run around Marcos Maidana again.

it locks up their divisional champion and if
when unfortunately
conor loses it will hurt his drawing power.

Plus Conor would be out for almost 1 to 2 years training for a fight instead of fighting 2-3 times year like they need him to be.

Then you run into issues like how the Reebok deal will work if conor fights.

Only reason Floyd fought Manny was because he couldn't get the buying public to want to see him run around Marcos Maidana again.

Conor calls his own shot anyway. He's locked up regardless. It's not like UFC has ever given a shit before. Floyd doesn't need the UFC or Conor. He can draw a few hundred thousand buys (and make an easy $20-30 million, remember, he's his own promoter) fighting any old bum.

My dream ending for this fight is that Floyd is winning easily for the first few rounds, Conor is flustered, then his muscle memory kicks in and he roundhouses Floyd into Bolvia, causing both sides' entourages to run into the ring and leading to a rumble of some sort. That's the kind of fuckery this fight deserves.

DMczaf

My dream ending for this fight is that Floyd is winning easily for the first few rounds, Conor is flustered, then his muscle memory kicks in and he roundhouses Floyd into Bolvia, causing both sides' entourages to run into the ring and leading to a rumble of some sort. That's the kind of fuckery this fight deserves.

"See you on Thunder!!!"

N° 2048

Sounds like Rizin. I'm down.

Does anyone in the actual world think Conor could even last two rounds against Mayweather in a boxing match?

Yes, only because Mayweather shells up against everyone and doesn't get aggressive. Dude has only had 2 KOs since 2006. Although maybe he'd sense such a weakness in Conor's game that he'd let his hands fly but I doubt it.

Levito

Banned

You know if Conor was rocked too, this could happen. Does anyone else remember when the Pride guys initially came over and on several occasions they almost would soccer kick down opponents? Kind of a similar thing.

Chumley

Banned

The fight is going to happen now that Floyd wants it. Like Chael said, historically the biggest obstacle is always getting the fighters to agree. Now that that's happened it's only a matter of time, and with Floyd hitting 40 next month I can see his people working behind the scenes to book it for 2017. I don't think WME is stupid enough to let Dana's ego stand in the way of all the fucking money they would make, not to mention how much this would elevate Conor's name recognition and by extension the entire UFC. It's a win win.

Fucking yes to this, because it's impossible to make Conor look like the heel when the other guy is Floyd.

Does anyone in the actual world think Conor could even last two rounds against Mayweather in a boxing match?

Floyd doesn't have knockout power, at least not in 2017, and Conor has a granite chin. They went over this on the latest Rogan fight companion but if Conor makes his movements unreadable he has a chance, and Floyd has been tagged in the past.

broz0rs

You guys should check out the latest MMA hour where Ariel tries to get Rampage back with his ex-gf of three years. It's one of funniest things I've ever heard.

VoxPop

The fight is going to happen now that Floyd wants it. Like Chael said, historically the biggest obstacle is always getting the fighters to agree. Now that that's happened it's only a matter of time, and with Floyd hitting 40 next month I can see his people working behind the scenes to book it for 2017. I don't think WME is stupid enough to let Dana's ego stand in the way of all the fucking money they would make, not to mention how much this would elevate Conor's name recognition and by extension the entire UFC. It's a win win.

Fucking yes to this, because it's impossible to make Conor look like the heel when the other guy is Floyd.

Floyd doesn't have knockout power, at least not in 2017, and Conor has a granite chin. They went over this on the latest Rogan fight companion but if Conor makes his movements unreadable he has a chance, and Floyd has been tagged in the past.

While Floyd might not have the power, I think he can hit him enough times to make him quit. Hopefully that isn't the case though.

BadAss2961

Conor's situation is totally up to his employers. As Floyd takes the bulk of the money, whatever cut WME/UFC would be looking at might not even be worth throwing their ace into an embarrassing boxing lesson. Them playing hardball for a few months and waiting till Conor blinks and comes back to defend is still probable.

On the fight itself, Floyd doesn't have the knockout power, but he wouldn't need it to outclass Conor and get a TKO. No amount of making his movements unreadable will work in a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather. His only chance is a miracle one punch KO. Him even landing a good power punch on Floyd will be a miracle in itself as a number of great boxers weren't able to do that. Then on top of it all, Conor wouldn't even be the biggest puncher Floyd has faced.

zewone

I think Conor will be willing to give the UFC a good chunk of change because the pay day and press coverage will be tremendous. He wants to make history.

Chumley

Banned
Conor's situation is totally up to his employers. As Floyd takes the bulk of the money, whatever cut WME/UFC would be looking at might not even be worth throwing their ace into an embarrassing boxing lesson. Them playing hardball for a few months and waiting till Conor blinks and comes back to defend is still probable.

On the fight itself, Floyd doesn't have the knockout power, but he wouldn't need it to outclass Conor and get a TKO. No amount of making his movements unreadable will work in a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather. His only chance is a miracle one punch KO. Him even landing a good power punch on Floyd will be a miracle in itself as a number of great boxers weren't able to do that. Then on top of it all, Conor wouldn't even be the biggest puncher Floyd has faced.

Pretty much every time Conor has gotten in the ring with anyone people have underestimated him and expected him to get dominated, except for Diaz 1. It's become so old hat that even in this context it seems silly to expect Mayweather to totally dominate him. He consistently defies the odds every time, and when people howled with laughter about how badly Aldo or Eddie were going to wreck him he completely turned the tables and made them both look like amateurs.

Pretty much every time Conor has gotten in the ring with anyone people have underestimated him and expected him to get dominated, except for Diaz 1. It's become so old hat that even in this context it seems silly to expect Mayweather to totally dominate him. He consistently defies the odds every time, and when people howled with laughter about how badly Aldo or Eddie were going to wreck him he completely turned the tables and made them both look like amateurs.

Damn dude you're on the McGregor Express hard. The most accomplished boxer he's faced is Nate Diaz a dude who just stands there and takes punches. Mayweather is the polar opposite, you are naive to think that he has even a sliver of a chance.

A year and a half ago be made Pacquiao look like he was a level below him. You think McGregor can do better? Your "defies the odds" line is funny because he was a favorite in both fights. He's a gifted MMA fighter no doubt, but that translates to dick when it comes to a boxing match.

Chumley

Banned
Damn dude you're on the McGregor Express hard. The most accomplished boxer he's faced is Nate Diaz a dude who just stands there and takes punches. Mayweather is the polar opposite, you are delusional to think that he has even a sliver of a chance.

A year and a half ago be made Pacquiao look like he was a level below him. You think McGregor can do better? Your "defies the odds" line is funny because he was a favorite in both fights. He's a gifted MMA fighter no doubt, but that translates to dick when it comes to a boxing match.

Resorting to insults right out the gate? You're not going to last long here. And all I was saying was it's naive to count McGregor out.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's naive to think Connor has any chance in a boxing match. It will be like LeBron James playing one on one with a high schooler.

Aldo, Diaz 2, Eddie, and now Mayweather. Even if he was the betting favorite there were still legions of people online like you saying he had no chance. Especially with Diaz 2.

I never said he didn't have a chance, he was more than just a betting favorite with many of people in those fights.

Please tell me how he has a chance against Floyd in a boxing match.

Chumley

Banned
I never said he didn't have a chance, he was more than just a betting favorite with many of people in those fights.

Please tell me how he has a chance against Floyd in a boxing match.

By studying him religiously, training all the time, sparring all the time, etc. He has an insane work ethic. Part of the reason why Diaz humiliated him in their first fight was because he was unprepared for his style, but once he learned it the fight totally changed.

Mayweather is still the favorite but Conor has a slim shot if he takes it as seriously as he usually does.

By studying him religiously, training all the time, sparring all the time, etc. He has an insane work ethic. Part of the reason why Diaz humiliated him in their first fight was because he was unprepared for his style, but once he learned it the fight totally changed.

Mayweather is still the favorite but Conor has a slim shot if he takes it as seriously as he usually does.

So if he takes the fight seriously he has a chance at winning? This is your reason as to how he has a chance?

He couldn't even knock out Nate Diaz a fighter who just keeps pressing you with volume punches. How do you think he'd even land a shot against someone with arguably the best defense in boxing ever?

Floyd has fought some of the best BOXERS in the world and beat them in completely one-sided fashion. Do you not think most if not all of those boxers also studied him religiously? Did they not have insane work ethics?

Chumley

Banned
You are not backing up your opinion with anything valid. The only reason you think he can beat Mayweather is if he takes the fight seriously.

The dude has proven to be able to adapt to different styles and weight classes, changing up his style depending on the opponent. If that's not valid to you, fine. It's my opinion. Disagreeing doesn't mean you get a pass for acting petulant.

Chesskid1

Banned
i remember everyone kept doubting conor as he kept moving up in the UFC.

he will finally fight the guy that can "beat" him and show us people were overrating him, but it never happened. he kept winning in spectacular fashion.

i've heard many people go from conor will finally lose till holy shit i am never doubting anything conor says again (i am one of them), this guy's self belief, confidence, skills, and calmness under pressure are unmatched.

and when conor is able to study his opponent, his gameplan and fights are so much better, see the nate diaz rematch -- i barely remember conor throwing kicks and he was now teeing off with them.

now he just has to do that with floyd!

believe!

zewone

It's naive to think Connor has any chance in a boxing match. It will be like LeBron James playing one on one with a high schooler.
If Conor were to box traditionally with him, sure. No chance.

Conor is known for being well educated and extremely creative in hand to hand combat. He's also has God tier timing and punching power.

Feel free to count him out, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he catches a 40 year old Mayweather and puts him to sleep.

If Conor were to box traditionally with him, sure. No chance.

Conor is known for being well educated and extremely creative in hand to hand combat. He's also has God tier timing and punching power.

Feel free to count him out, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he catches a 40 year old Mayweather and puts him to sleep.

In his nearly 20 years on the top of the fight game fighting world class boxers who are among the best at their craft, I'm sure Floyd Mayweather has never faced anyone who is well educated or extremely creative in hand to hand combat, nor someone with god tier timing and punching power. Nope.

Chumley

Banned
In his nearly 20 years on the top of the fight game fighting world class boxers who are among the best at their craft, I'm sure Floyd Mayweather has never faced anyone who is well educated or extremely creative in hand to hand combat, nor someone with god tier timing and punching power. Nope.

This kind of condescension is super uncool. No reason for it.

zewone

I forgot Floyd was 40 years old 20 years ago.

brentech

Grow the fuck up. Learn to accept different opinions without getting triggered and behaving like a child.

image.php

It's not necessary but it's hard not to expect it when you're belittling an entire sports worth of professionals by suggesting that an MMA fighter, who isn't unbeatable in his own sport, can cross over to beat an undefeated fighter by being something that has never been seen.

It's insulting and not true. Conor could win, sure, but if he does it absolutely is not because in months of training he reaches a level a skill that the best boxers in the world who have trained for years have never been able to do.

Conor is not the protagonist in a YA novel.

Chesskid1

Banned
damn the more i read predictions from boxers about conor vs floyd the more depressing the fight seems :(

its like maia fighting an amateur basically since i assume MMA fans understand jiu jitsu a bit more than boxing

Top Bottom