• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Mega

Banned
MM is unstoppable. Who's come closest to beating since his championship run began? Dodson? And dude ran from the division after getting worked in the rematch.

VoxPop

Mighty Mouse is fucking incredible. He really should move up to 135 after breaking the record. Cody/TJ vs Mighty Mouse would be sweet af. Sucks he doesn't get the respect he deserves.

MM is unstoppable. Who's come closest to beating since his championship run began? Dodson? And dude ran from the division after getting worked in the rematch.

Dodson had no choice to but to leave the division MM beat him twice so he was probably not gonna get a title shot anytime soon and the knee injury ruined his speed so he had no shot of beating MM.

Chumley

Banned
He can ask for whatever he wants.

He's an amazing fighter, but lets not act like he's any kind of draw. He's the 10X defending champion and he's fighting on free TV for a reason.

A reason? What reason would that be, because the UFC doesn't want to put more money into promoting him?

He can ask for whatever he wants.

He's an amazing fighter, but lets not act like he's any kind of draw. He's the 10X defending champion and he's fighting on free TV for a reason.

He and Jones have the exact same amount of finishes.

If Jon Jones was not a constant screw up he would be the best fighter ever.

A reason? What reason would that be, because the UFC doesn't want to put more money into promoting him?

Because seeing a 125 lbs man beat up on completely outclassed fighters who nobody has ever heard of is not compelling television. You seriously want to act like it's marketing when they've been making DJ the card headliner for years now and it hasn't changed a thing. Stop being prisoners of the moment.

I was saying this last week. They just need to push him.

lmao push him? THis is the 12th card where he has been the headliner or co-headliner. HE's also been co-headliner on the same card with other popular fighters like Jon Jones, Rampage, Bisping, and nothing has put him over. How much "pushing" is required? Cody Garbrant became a bigger star than DJ will ever be in one fight. It's not a knock on his talent, he's amazing, but he's never going to be at that level and it's not for lack of trying. It's hard enough to get people to give a shit about the smaller divisions, having one guy run through it and dominate it the way DJ has only makes it less interesting.

Chumley

Banned
Because seeing a 125 lbs man beat up on completely outclassed fighters who nobody has ever heard of is not compelling television. You seriously want to act like it's marketing when they've been making DJ the card headliner for years now and it hasn't changed a thing. Stop being prisoners of the moment.

Ronda Rousey was beating up and outclassing women nobody had ever heard of for years. Seems to me you're blaming MM for his size and the competition, two things entirely out of his control, and weak competition (historically) has never mattered regarding viewership. If the UFC would learn how to promote small guys, people would take notice. There isn't some inherent lack of skill at the 125 level, the fights are fucking good. Hell, Conor's fights aside from Diaz have all been waaaaay more one sided than MM's.

Ronda Rousey was beating up and outclassing women nobody had ever heard of for years. Seems to me you're blaming MM for his size and the competition, two things entirely out of his control, and historically weak competition has never mattered regarding viewership. If the UFC would learn how to promote small guys, people would take notice. There isn't some inherent lack of skill at the 125 level, the fights are fucking good. Hell, Conor's fights aside from Diaz have all been waaaaay more one sided than MM's.

We just did this last week bro. IF you can't see why Ronda Rousey, the first true female MMA star, is a more compelling sell than Demetrious Johnson, I don't know what to tell you.

And I"m not blaming MM for anything. It's not his fault people don't want to watch him. He does what he's supposed to do.

Do you think it's their promoters faults that Roman Gonzalez or Guillermo Rigondeaux aren't more well known, mainstream boxers?

Yaari

It's not all on MM, but he's just in a division that lacks anyone opening their mouth looking for a title shot. Unless I completely missed any of that.

UFC can put money into that but getting people to actually want to pay for it? Good luck, I don't see it happening.

He's an excellent fighter but I have a hard time thinking of a fight for him that actually excites me and the only thing I can think of is that Cruz rematch, that simply is not going to happen because no way Dana is going to pay him what he's asking for. If he gets that money once, he's going to want it every time.

Ronda Rousey was beating up and outclassing women nobody had ever heard of for years. Seems to me you're blaming MM for his size and the competition, two things entirely out of his control, and weak competition (historically) has never mattered regarding viewership. If the UFC would learn how to promote small guys, people would take notice. There isn't some inherent lack of skill at the 125 level, the fights are fucking good. Hell, Conor's fights aside from Diaz have all been waaaaay more one sided than MM's.

A chunk of Ronda's hype came from this ridiculous beef that she and UFC tried to kick up by claiming she could beat Mayweather. It put her into a unique conversation in the sports world, despite the fact that it was an absurd assertion. But it served its purpose because it made people talk about MMA even if they weren't necessarily interested in it.

YaGaMi

Umm you mean like Patrick Cote, Thales Leites, Yushin Okami and Stephan Bonnar?

Haha I never the Spider. Ive always said he fought in the middleweight division when it was at its weakest but his list is still miles better than MM.

Look at JJ and GSP.

Chumley

Banned
We just did this last week bro. IF you can't see why Ronda Rousey, the first true female MMA star, is a more compelling sell than Demetrious Johnson, I don't know what to tell you.

And I"m not blaming MM for anything. It's not his fault people don't want to watch him. He does what he's supposed to do.

Do you think it's their promoters faults that Roman Gonzalez or Guillermo Rigondeaux aren't more well known, mainstream boxers?

Whatever, point is that popularity has nothing to do with the competition. It's about a bullshit "small guy" perception and the idea that you can't change that no matter what the promotion does, which is an idea I flat out reject because the UFC hasn't even tried. There's all kinds of carny shit they can cook up with a move to 135, and MM is a businessman who'd probably say whatever they want him to say if it means more buys.

RR30

Haha I never the Spider. Ive always said he fought in the middleweight division when it was at its weakest but his list is still miles better than MM.

It's really not. He has like 4 really good wins at MW. Hendo, Belfort and Franklin (x2). Benavidez x2 and Dodson x2 are good wins. Wins over Leites and Cote are nothing more than some of Mighty Mouse's wins.

Levito

Banned
BRw7aDE.jpg

YaGaMi

It's really not. He has like 4 really good wins at MW. Hendo, Belfort and Franklin (x2). Benavidez x2 and Dodson x2 are good wins. Wins over Leites and Cote are nothing more than some of Mighty Mouse's wins.

Having wins over people on the same level as Belfort and Hendo is something MM may never accomplish so IMO its not ever going to be as good.

BadAss2961

Aldo kinda had the same problem before the right guy came along and thrust him into the biggest fight UFC could make... MM is more marketable than him. He just needs his own rising star to elevate him.

Of course striking gold would be getting the Conor type with a nation behind him to come in, finish people, and talk crazy.

Top Bottom