• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

VoxPop

Unbelievable event. The production value. The Reebok apparel. The finishes. The insane title fights. The terrible live music entrances. McGregor TKO'ing Chad in the final seconds after taking a beating and still giving zero fucks. This night was perfection. All hail your new UFC kingpin.

8691643.jpg

Great night of fights. Connor is a blackbelt in movement. Chad gave him trouble but he blew his load in 2 rounds going for the takedowns. When his shoot in was stuffed by the end of round 2 you could see he was completely empty.

Congratulations Connor. It was a great right hand.

Meltzer saying that Fedor thinking about a comeback.
Lol. He's past his prime. He probably should've retired after the Werdum loss.

I wouldn't like his chances against the new Werdum, Cain or Dos Santos. He could obviously go in attraction fights like Arloski, Overeem, Hunt, Crocop, Big Foot, etc.

Chesskid1

Banned
NSFW rory trying to stand up

god damn this gif is messing with my head, look @ what rory is putting himself through

i remember when he went down i was pretty disappointed in him, thought it was time for him to be the champion, but now i'm not (disappointed) at all

i remember dana talking about him, saying rory couldn't breath, couldn't see, had a broken ankle and nose. doctors were asking him what year it was backstage and he couldn't answer them.

just so freakin gruesome. he might not ever be the same fighter again. he pushed himself so hard he was basically delirious, couldn't walk, think. a quick KO would of been mercy for him, instead all the punishment added up till he had to basically collapse.

dunno the point of this post, just the brutality of it is getting to me. i should also add i'm a huge rory fan haha. hope they threw money at him, i guess?

scabro

god damn this gif is messing with my head, look @ what rory is putting himself through

i remember when he went down i was pretty disappointed in him, thought it was time for him to be the champion, but now i'm not (disappointed) at all

i remember dana talking about him, saying rory couldn't breath, couldn't see, had a broken ankle and nose. doctors were asking him what year it was backstage and he couldn't answer them.

just so freakin gruesome. he might not ever be the same fighter again. he pushed himself so hard he was basically delirious, couldn't walk, think. a quick KO would of been mercy for him, instead all the punishment added up till he had to basically collapse.

dunno the point of this post, just the brutality of it is getting to me. i should also add i'm a huge rory fan haha. hope they threw money at him, i guess?
this is what a man with one foot in Valhalla and one foot in the Earth realm looks like

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

He earned himself some Reebok merchandise last night. They'll take care of him.

TheChits

Yeah he took the beating of a lifetime. I imagine they rewarded him and Robbie with lots of bonus money though

Eanan

Eh, Machida wasn't getting anyone who wasn't an MMA fan into MMA. He wasn't on the GSP/Brock/Hot Rod level. Conor could be but he needs to work TDD non-stop in every fight camp for the next two or three years.

Conor has already massively surpassed GSP in terms of worldwide fame and popularity and on his way to in terms of fighter ability and quality.

Brock is a bit unfair; he had the WWE make his name worldwide.

Conor has already massively surpassed GSP in terms of worldwide fame and popularity and on his way to in terms of fighter ability and quality.

Brock is a bit unfair; he had the WWE make his name worldwide.

Conor is nowhere near GSP in fame or popularity. Though I guess you're proof that UFC's marketing is working.

Nothing salty about the truth. UFC has been pushing McGregor, which is great and his personality has garnered a lot of attention but GSP was one of the biggest draws in the company. If Conor keeps winning and doing so in dominant or even just exciting fashion, he could potentially reach GSP or Anderson Silva levels of popularity and notoriety but he isn't there yet.

Eanan

Conor is nowhere near GSP in fame or popularity. Though I guess you're proof that UFC's marketing is working.

Yes UFC are pumping lots of cash into McGregors promotion because they know how marketable he is and he's the biggest draw they've ever had in the UFC bar probably Brock Lesnar.

Conor is breaking lots of records in terms of drawing power that GSP could only wish for. GSP was a nobody to the regular joe outside of Canada. Conor is a national hero in Ireland and a big name already in America to not just hardcore MMA fans. When he fights aldo, he'll be even more popular, be it liked or hated, in Brazil/south america. Celebs are even jumping on the bandwagon. Hes already much more popular than Gus in Europe. If you honestly believe what i've quoted, then thats hilarious. And if so, I want some hard facts to back up your statement as your wrong.

Oh my the salt is real

Heel

Conor is breaking lots of records in terms of drawing power that GSP could only wish for. GSP was a nobody to the regular joe outside of Canada. Conor is a national hero in Ireland and a big name already in America to not just hardcore MMA fans.

As a fervent GSP hater, I respect the hyperbole.

dream

I'm still a little shaken up by how close we were to having that weirdo be our Welterweight Champion of the World. Thank god Robbie found the veteran grit to mentally break Rory and make him quit. That might have been the clutchest round 5 since Anderson/Chael 1.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm still a little shaken up by how close we were to having that weirdo be our Welterweight Champion of the World. Thank god Robbie found the veteran grit to mentally break Rory and make him quit. That might have been the clutchest round 5 since Anderson/Chael 1.

He broke him more than mentally.

CJuqlqiUkAAYEeR.jpg

Conor has the attention because a lot people in the states and Canada are of Irish descent. Every Irish pub in L.A. had posters of him flying for the last few weeks. There's also the fact that people either hate or love him which brings in more money.

He isn't on GSP/Beock level yet but he beats Aldo and he'll be up there.

Robbie might be the grittiest dude to ever fight. Look at the stare down at the end of the 4th. Rory's heart decreased like 100x when Robbie started yelling and bouncing. Rory thought he had him beat then the staredown happened and he realized he didn't have it in him to kill a guy.

Yes UFC are pumping lots of cash into McGregors promotion because they know how marketable he is and he's the biggest draw they've ever had in the UFC bar probably Brock Lesnar.

Conor is breaking lots of records in terms of drawing power that GSP could only wish for. GSP was a nobody to the regular joe outside of Canada. Conor is a national hero in Ireland and a big name already in America to not just hardcore MMA fans. When he fights aldo, he'll be even more popular, be it liked or hated, in Brazil/south america. Celebs are even jumping on the bandwagon. Hes already much more popular than Gus in Europe. If you honestly believe what i've quoted, then thats hilarious. And if so, I want some hard facts to back up your statement as your wrong.

Oh my the salt is real

It is literally impossible to logically make the claim that McGregor is "the biggest draw they've ever had in the UFC bar probably Brock Lesnar" when 189 is literally the first PPV he's ever headlined. GSP regularly pulled over 700k buys. Even if 189 ends up at 800k or higher, he has to do it more than once (Lidell vs Ortiz 2 drew over 1 million buys and no one would say either one of them are the biggest draws next to Lesnar) to reasonably declare him a bigger draw. A lot of the buys surrounding this event are also due to the "bad blood" nature of promo between the fighters. Same reason why Silva v Sonnen did 600k while the rematch did 950k.

This is the first time McGregor has ME'd a PPV. The numbers will undoubtedly be better than average. But calling McGregor this monsterous draw without him having the time to actually prove it is like hyping Pettis when he got leapfrogged over half the division and beat Benson. The guys is a great fighter with tons of potential but it's better to wait until they've defined their legacy before you start heralding them from the rooftops.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
That was an awesome card, holy fuck.

Legit freaked out by Rory's red mask, Red King indeed... Amazing last round.

Happy Conor beat the midget.

Top Bottom